2024 Gala Theme Schedule

e&mcruise

1 minute ago, e&mcruise said:

Unfortunately it is more than that. Reading about Champagne being subbed for sparkling. 1 bottle in mini bar, not two. Booked direct with Cunard and found a cheaper price on a 3rd party site but despite Cunard offering UK guests a Price Promise....not available to Aussies. Website not working/ not updated & links not working for Cunard and MyCunard. Just got a feeling in the pit of my stomach and so want it to be the cruise experience we have planned for and expect. 😞

If champagne is specified, we have always had champagne. If anyone doesn't gwet it, then they should ask for it.

We have always had the correct number of mini bar bottles and if you don't get them, then just make a request. No big deal.

Cunard pricing is fluid. It can go up and down for the same accommodation. I have never seen a UK price promise.

Website is well known for its 'foibles'.

You have obviously concentrated on the glitches. Smooth runnings don't make headlines. If there is a problem, and it sounds as if you';e in QG as you're talking champagne, then just ask the Butler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

I have never seen a UK price promise.

Price promise.

Enjoy the comfort and reassurance that you’ve booked your Cunard voyage at the best possible price. If you find a better price elsewhere within 24 hours of booking with us, we will match that price. Simply send us the quote for the exact same holiday, which you have booked with us, and we guarantee to match it. We want to assure you that you can book your Cunard holiday with trust and confidence, enabling you to revel in the excitement of your upcoming voyage.

16 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Price promise.

Enjoy the comfort and reassurance that you’ve booked your Cunard voyage at the best possible price. If you find a better price elsewhere within 24 hours of booking with us, we will match that price. Simply send us the quote for the exact same holiday, which you have booked with us, and we guarantee to match it. We want to assure you that you can book your Cunard holiday with trust and confidence, enabling you to revel in the excitement of your upcoming voyage.

Thank you.

I didn't know about that as I've never looked and as we don't book direct, it wouldn't apply to us.

The services of our agent far outweighs any faff in looking at differing prices..

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Thank you.

I didn't know about that as I've never looked and as we don't book direct, it wouldn't apply to us.

The services of our agent far outweighs any faff in looking at differing prices..

Always want to book direct with a business where possible to save 3rd party commissions but would seem not relevant with Cunard. 

58 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Unfortunately it is more than that. Reading about Champagne being subbed for sparkling. 1 bottle in mini bar, not two. Booked direct with Cunard and found a cheaper price on a 3rd party site but despite Cunard offering UK guests a Price Promise....not available to Aussies. Website not working/ not updated & links not working for Cunard and MyCunard. Just got a feeling in the pit of my stomach and so want it to be the cruise experience we have planned for and expect. 😞

Quite honestly, if you can, I would cancel the cruise. I fear that, if you go with that feeling in the pit of your stomach, you will have an experience dominated by your annoyance at minor glitches, however nice the rest is. Get out while you can. (Incidentally, I have loved every Cunard cruise I’ve been on, but I’ve never embarked feeling as you do.)

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Quite honestly, if you can, I would cancel the cruise. I fear that, if you go with that feeling in the pit of your stomach, you will have an experience dominated by your annoyance at minor glitches, however nice the rest is. Get out while you can. (Incidentally, I have loved every Cunard cruise I’ve been on, but I’ve never embarked feeling as you do.)

As totally non-refundable, will go in with as open a mind as possible, 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Always want to book direct with a business where possible to save 3rd party commissions but would seem not relevant with Cunard. 

When you are in a bind and you need help with a booking is when you find out exactly how good agents are. Even then, there are good agents and terrific agents.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

As totally non-refundable, will go in with as open a mind as possible, 🙂

Yes, go in with an open mind and a determination to enjoy it. Choose your own "theme" for the Gala Evening and dress up to the nines! I am very new to cruising, having only been on Royal Carribean 😬 and then a delightful three-night jaunt on QE from Melbourne to Sydney, all pre-COVID. No comparison. I am already a dedicated Cunard fan, seduced by the idea of traditional voyages and dressing up. I am sailing from Fremantle to Sydney on QM2 in Feb 2024. I hope you enjoy your QE voyage!

• Like 1

Themes for a Gala evening, unless dressing in a lovely long dress/beautiful separates with husband in full black tie is considered a theme, aren't required.

In fact, themes are a real PITA! They cause consternation/folk in fancydress/worries about what to wear...Ditch them all and just go with GALA!

• Like 8

Yes, beautiful evening wear and black tie will always be a winner. While they sound like fun, I suspect that the themes could quite easily slide into fancy dress/cheap "costumes". I must remind my husband to remain classy and tasteful, and not dress as a gangster for the Roaring Twenties! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

Yes, beautiful evening wear and black tie will always be a winner. While they sound like fun, I suspect that the themes could quite easily slide into fancy dress/cheap "costumes". I must remind my husband to remain classy and tasteful, and not dress as a gangster for the Roaring Twenties! 

It was a chap's blow up gun along with trilby and spats which turned an evening outfit into fancy dress. I like the phrase 'classy and tasteful'.

That could be a theme!!😀

22 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Themes for a Gala evening, unless dressing in a lovely long dress/beautiful separates with husband in full black tie is considered a theme, aren't required.

In fact, themes are a real PITA! They cause consternation/folk in fancydress/worries about what to wear...Ditch them all and just go with GALA!

I was just going to post a similar comment. From my experiences the majority of passengers do not follow the theme. Like us, most have dressed in what I will call traditional ocean liner formal wear.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 7:19 PM, e&mcruise said:

Have just received a response from Facebook....... Thought all Gala Nights had a theme?

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 11.19.00 am.png

Getting back to the details of the gala evening for your 5-night Tasmania cruise (voyage Q409A). Am I correct that you only have one gala evening and it's on March 6th, the sea day between Sydney and Melbourne?

If that's correct, those who have booked the 3-night Short Break cruise from Melbourne to Sydney on March 7th to March 10th (voyage Q410), the second part of your cruise, apparently have no gala evenings on their schedule.

Edited by bluemarble

I enjoyed a Short Break 3-night cruise From Melbourne to Sydney via Burnie (Tasmania) on QE in 2017. No gala evenings, but we enjoyed dressing up properly for dinner each night anyway. We felt like the whole voyage was a very special gala occasion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

I enjoyed a Short Break 3-night cruise From Melbourne to Sydney via Burnie (Tasmania) on QE in 2017. No gala evenings, but we enjoyed dressing up properly for dinner each night anyway. We felt like the whole voyage was a very special gala occasion.

Thanks for that. The 3-night QE cruise in 2024 with no gala evenings under discussion here is very similar: Melbourne-Burnie-Sydney. As I look back through my old dress code and theme schedules, I see it's standard practice for there to be no gala evenings on that 3-night itinerary.

Edited by bluemarble

On 10/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, e&mcruise said:

How disappointing. On our first 5 night cruise on Cunard with certain expectations based on extensive researching and as per their own website:

Gala Evenings follow one of four themes – either Black and White, Red and Gold, Masquerade or Roaring 20s. 

Very First World Problem I know but I am the sort of person that expects to get what is published by the company, regardless of situation, in this case Cunard.

Makes me worry about what else won't be as "promised". Just call me "Nervous Nellie" based on previous bad experiences with Azamara & RCCL.

I don't understand what's so disappointing about a gala evening not having a particular dress theme. When you do have a dress theme, some people will follow the suggestion and many won't. I wore a navy sequinned dress on a recent Black and White formal night, just because I preferred to wear that dress that night. It's no big deal. I doesn't affect the food being served or the entertainment, at all.

I've not travelled with Azamara nor RCCL and have no particular desire to. Try to remember that your bad experiences with those lines have nothing to do with Cunard.

Have you had any particularly good experiences with any cruise lines?

• Like 1

We would regard following Gala Wear guidelines much more important than themes.

We do follow the themes but more from a colour and dress style point of view. Although one night last time we intentionally dressed for Masquerade theme (our profile pic, sans masks) on a Roaring 20s night, which Cunard decided to have two of. We didn't want to waste our 1€ SHEIN Masquerade Masks! Probably a Scottish thing.

Probably the main thing to remember is that even though Cunard don't make this clear; On the Masquerade theme the intention is that folk might wear elegant venetian ball style masks, not funny halloween masks. For Roaring 20s flapper style dresses are fine for ladies. Gents are best to follow the standard gala guidelines. Most "gentlemen" attending a ball in the 1920s would not have been wearing a trilby or carrying a fake (or real) handgun.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, D&N said:

We would regard following Gala Wear guidelines much more important than themes.

We do follow the themes but more from a colour and dress style point of view. Although one night last time we intentionally dressed for Masquerade theme (our profile pic, sans masks) on a Roaring 20s night, which Cunard decided to have two of. We didn't want to waste our 1€ SHEIN Masquerade Masks! Probably a Scottish thing.

Probably the main thing to remember is that even though Cunard don't make this clear; On the Masquerade theme the intention is that folk might wear elegant venetian ball style masks, not funny halloween masks. For Roaring 20s flapper style dresses are fine for ladies. Gents are best to follow the standard gala guidelines. Most "gentlemen" attending a ball in the 1920s would not have been wearing a trilby or carrying a fake (or real) handgun.

Yes, it’s theme night, not costume night. I had to fit this comment in on Halloween!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't understand what's so disappointing about a gala evening not having a particular dress theme. When you do have a dress theme, some people will follow the suggestion and many won't. I wore a navy sequinned dress on a recent Black and White formal night, just because I preferred to wear that dress that night. It's no big deal. I doesn't affect the food being served or the entertainment, at all.

I've not travelled with Azamara nor RCCL and have no particular desire to. Try to remember that your bad experiences with those lines have nothing to do with Cunard.

Have you had any particularly good experiences with any cruise lines?

It's not that big a deal you are correct but it was part of what we were sold on to Cruise with Cunard....the traditions, the dressing up, afternoon tea, old world etc etc. As someone who researches and reads T&Cs for fun, when things start changing before we have even boarded, I get nervous. 🙂

Certainly not looking for a Halloween experience but loved the idea of a sea of elegant formal red & gold or black & white or masks or flapper dresses as an experience.......just for one night. 😞

Regardless, as you say, it will be a sea of beautifully dressed people instead! 🙂

Let the countdown begin.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Certainly not looking for a Halloween experience but loved the idea of a sea of elegant formal red & gold or black & white or masks or flapper dresses as an experience.......just for one night. 😞

Even on themed nights, the majority of passengers don't follow the theme beyond a vague suggestion, if that (especially for flapper & masquerade). You'll be in a sea of elegant formal wear, just not colour coded/themed. It's somewhat easier to follow the theme for red & gold or black & white, but it's certainly not mandatory. For Masquerade in particular, the majority of people who do observe the theme only do so in the Queen's Room after dinner (at least from what I've seen).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:44 AM, e&mcruise said:

A  TA is generally less money than booking direct with Cunard.

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

A  TA is generally less money than booking direct with Cunard.

As an owner of a small hotel, we guarantee that the best price any of our Guests can book a stay is directly. It makes no sense to me that when the TA receives a commission on bookings/sales how it can EVER be cheaper to not book direct with a business like a cruise line, hotel, car rental etc etc.

49 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

As an owner of a small hotel, we guarantee that the best price any of our Guests can book a stay is directly. It makes no sense to me that when the TA receives a commission on bookings/sales how it can EVER be cheaper to not book direct with a business like a cruise line, hotel, car rental etc etc.

I know it sounds counterintuitive but you absolutely can do better booking through some travel agents/cruise booking websites than booking directly through Cunard. There are even sites where you can enter the specifics of the cruise and cabin category you are interested in and receive competing bids from travel agents who choose to extend offers to you. Travel agents/cruise booking websites may not always offer a lower fare than Cunard. Sometimes the benefits they offer are additional onboard credit over what Cunard is offering or cash back after the cruise for example. The cruise booking website I use does routinely offer at least 5% off the fare available by booking directly with Cunard.

That's not to say I unconditionally recommend using a discount travel agent/cruise booking website. It depends a lot on your comfort level turning over control of your booking to a third party you probably won't know much about and who might end up not being as responsive as you'd like when things go wrong or you need to change your booking.

6 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Why use an agent?

Excellent travel agents are also there as an added insurance when life goes toes up as it did march '20 onwards.

They will go the extra mile for their clients ro either sort  onward travel out, asap, makes sure refunds are given, asap, and aqre genreally very good eggs at giving excellent service.

As I have said many a time, some agents might not discount, but when the chips are down, they are there for their clients. When booking with them, you are an individual, not one of nearly a thousand trhying to get through/book direct and yes, they have the same booking arrangements as \the Cunard staff member at the end of a phone eg our '25 cruises were all booked within one and a half  munutes of the cruises goin g live.

My agent ended up advising non clients [well they were non at the time of advice, many are now clients] what to do during the disastrous cruise seasons of '20 and '21 when their own agents were dragging their feet.

He has also helped us with Cunard when we have had two problems. I'm sure it helped we are excellent clients of Cunard but he did the legwork.

You will never know how good an agent is, until you really need one. For us, we look upon it as another layer of travel insurance.

Hope that will do for starters. 🙂

• Like 4