Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

11 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

This seems like a viable option for gentlemen - nice slacks, a collar AND bowtie, cuffs & cufflinks - should at least work for non-formal nights...😁

Unknown.jpeg

I dont know about you, but i have not seen any gentlemen guests who have abs like that aboard the Silversea ships i have sailed…

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

This seems like a viable option for gentlemen - nice slacks, a collar AND bowtie, cuffs & cufflinks - should at least work for non-formal nights...😁

Unknown.jpeg

If you bring them, I will come aboard.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I dont know about you, but i have not seen any gentlemen guests who have abs like that aboard the Silversea ships i have sailed…

I never saw the benefit of settling for just a 'six-pack' when I could go straight to a full 'keg' 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Way back in the day, when the Interweb was new (and you'd get a diskette from AOL in the mail every other day), I joined a chat group.  They were fun, like this forum.  My first nom de plume was "Abs Sixpack".  I thought it was a fun name, but probably violated certain provisions of "Truth in Advertising" regs.  

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Ah... So we haven't met. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/4/2024 at 10:00 AM, spinnaker2 said:

spinnaker2, look out for me on your next cruise. 🙂

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having read the whole thread, I’d just like to know what we’ll see on the Muse in Alaska this summer, and how we find out. I have no problem dealing with reality, but have no idea what that means. 

On the Muse last year, they insisted on a tie to get into Atlantide .... 

I hate ties at the best of times, so the next day decided that any ugly tie would do ..... so cut up the cover of evening magazine, used the wrapper from the nightly chocolate, and a disposable napkin and made one ....

Used it for the rest of the cruise with no argument at an venue..... other than my dearest wife who thought it looked ridiculous !

image.thumb.png.bc411e8e948c5a6a8686b2cd41df4c1f.png

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Downunder55 said:

I hate ties at the best of times, so the next day decided that any ugly tie would do ..... so cut up the cover of evening magazine, used the wrapper from the nightly chocolate, and a disposable napkin and made one ....

Used it for the rest of the cruise with no argument at an venue..... other than my dearest wife who thought it looked ridiculous !

Can't tell what the texture looked like from the computer image – but I am a fan of bow ties and I think this is delightful!  Reproduce that picture in silk and change the wrapper to a complementary color and it would sell like hotcakes on https://www.beautiesltd.com

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Downunder55 said:

Under which Level was this, informal or formal?

2 hours ago, milepig said:

Having read the whole thread, I’d just like to know what we’ll see on the Muse in Alaska this summer, and how we find out. I have no problem dealing with reality, but have no idea what that means. 

I guess what I’m looking for is a chart. The muse has these restaurants. And on various nights formal/informal/casual the vatt try ious restaurants are?? I know the grill is alway casual, as is pizza, others??

For the Nova, Ray and Expedition ships ties are not required. For the classic ships they are only required on formal nights in Atlantide/ MDR, Salt/ Indochine and La Dame.

Jackets not required on Expedition ships and reported as optional on Nova and on Ray when it starts.

On the classic fleet required in all restaurants except the Grill and pizza restaurant. La Dame virtually always a jacket required and usually in Atlantide. The other restaurants it depends on the Maître d. Though I have rarely seen it enforced in the other restaurants.And some times Atlantide has a Maître d who doesn’t enforce the dress code.

And that is what makes it complicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, drron29 said:

For the Nova, Ray and Expedition ships ties are not required. For the classic ships they are only required on formal nights in Atlantide/ MDR, Salt/ Indochine and La Dame.

Jackets not required on Expedition ships and reported as optional on Nova and on Ray when it starts.

On the classic fleet required in all restaurants except the Grill and pizza restaurant. La Dame virtually always a jacket required and usually in Atlantide. The other restaurants it depends on the Maître d. Though I have rarely seen it enforced in the other restaurants.And some times Atlantide has a Maître d who doesn’t enforce the dress code.

And that is what makes it complicated.

Vacation isn’t meant to be complicated! It will all become clear and we’ll go with the flow. 

56 minutes ago, milepig said:

Vacation isn’t meant to be complicated! It will all become clear and we’ll go with the flow. 

Rumor has it, it will all become simpler in 2024.  Not in time for my Jan. 29 cruise, but hopefully in time for you.

• Like 2

Just off the Muse, Auckland to Sydney and could find little evidence of any enforcement in any restaurant. I had studied up on the grid of dress code versus restaurant but was so relaxed on holiday, that I was not bothered to work out the difference between casual and informal and which restaurants required which. Just dressed neatly, with a jacket on some nights when I felt like it and it worked fine for me. Wore a tie one night with a suit for formal in Atlantide and did not bother for second nite and no-one said anything. One night a friend was asked to put long pants on (I did warn him) and another nite I believe someone was given a coat to put on the back of their chair in Atlantide (was not asked to wear it!)

2 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

Just off the Muse, Auckland to Sydney and could find little evidence of any enforcement in any restaurant. I had studied up on the grid of dress code versus restaurant but was so relaxed on holiday, that I was not bothered to work out the difference between casual and informal and which restaurants required which. Just dressed neatly, with a jacket on some nights when I felt like it and it worked fine for me. Wore a tie one night with a suit for formal in Atlantide and did not bother for second nite and no-one said anything. One night a friend was asked to put long pants on (I did warn him) and another nite I believe someone was given a coat to put on the back of their chair in Atlantide (was not asked to wear it!)

Thanks for the observations.

For the life of me I cannot understand why they insist on giving out jackets to put on chair backs. So silly.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

From your lips to the Whisper Maitre D's ears!

1 hour ago, tinaincc said:

Thanks for the observations.

For the life of me I cannot understand why they insist on giving out jackets to put on chair backs. So silly.

What do you mean silly?  How else is a person expected to keep the chair warm and comfortable?  Have you no respect for the feelings of the furniture?  I suppose one could use a beach towel, but I've heard that most chairs prefer to dress for dinner.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

What do you mean silly?  How else is a person expected to keep the chair warm and comfortable?  Have you no respect for the feelings of the furniture?  I suppose one could use a beach towel, but I've heard that most chairs prefer to dress for dinner.

And a Windsor chair requires a tie!  with a Windsor knot, of course 🤣

• Haha 2