Big band transatlantic crossings

Knickearth

Last time I saw older boomers, War Babies and even older people get out of their seats and rock was during a live stage performance of The Buddy Holly Story. So many familiar songs. You could not help but get on your feet and go with the music.  

• Like 1

Reading all these responses is heartwarming.  I remembered the 2 transatlantic we did, one was on the new noordam’s first crossing, but both TAs had British bands and one performed Glen Miller music.

also we were with sone single women who wanted to dance and the ship had male dancers whose job was to ask single women to dance.  

the ambiance on the cruises is unequaled.  

• Like 2

Buddy Holly died just a few months before I was born. By definition I am among the last of the "Boomers". I enjoy many types of music from classical, big band, country and rock. As time has gone by so have my musical tastes. Some of the heaviest rock has faded away, I've mellowed with age. Most people do. That's why those that keep saying the "HAL" cruisers are all dying off and they have to shift their focus; no they don't there are more and more folks moving into the group every year.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am an octogenerian retrograde afficianado of the Glenn Miller sound, who recommends this lovely rendition of "I'll Be Seeing You" by Veronica Swift and the Air Force band.  

Anyway, I remember the Dec. 2013 cruise from California to Hawaii and a back. It was memorable because that cruise marked the end of the traditional  the Carnival Miracle's big band. For that reason the band was showcased quite a bit, a real treat.

• Like 1

I believe this might have been the very last time with HAL that on a Transatlantic  Cruise we had a Big Band on board . We happened to be on the Oosterdam from Florida to Rome in March of 2016  and we had the extreme pleasure to be serenaded almost every day by the Harry James band  ( 16 members ) under the direction of Fred Radke . This had been advertised on HAL and there were also a number of  fantastic dancing couples on board ship and on the dance floor in the crows nest ! They were also a couple of evenings the Entertainment on the Main Stage ! 

image.thumb.jpeg.6aca4d7b13613a67e90192fb677d86c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dbffd479e17e90bfd492207f070d10c7.jpeg

We also happened to receive our Silver medals from Captain Michiel Willems on that cruise 
image.thumb.jpeg.6e559ef1e72fac6ae6e0b744902a43a6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c63097bfe18becb6bb9e926fa47e8f2c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.924c953bc24516244d8a89548d1303d8.jpeg

Fred’s wife was the singer at the time in the Harry James Band 

image.thumb.jpeg.0d434e6a58bcd5bf626124a64e162693.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8fd86ee9729a0117fdabb3532fd7e47f.jpeg

A fantastic crossing was had by all 
Tony 😍
  • Like 2

What a great thread!!!  So many memories that you have all shared. 

Our Christmas gift from DS and DDIL is accompanying them to the Glen Miller Band performance just one month from now. Can’t wait!  Only way it could be better is if it were on a cruise!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

I believe this might have been the very last time with HAL that on a Transatlantic  Cruise we had a Big Band on board . We happened to be on the Oosterdam from Florida to Rome in March of 2016  and we had the extreme pleasure to be serenaded almost every day by the Harry James band  ( 16 members ) under the direction of Fred Radke . This had been advertised on HAL and there were also a number of  fantastic dancing couples on board ship and on the dance floor in the crows nest ! They were also a couple of evenings the Entertainment on the Main Stage ! 

image.thumb.jpeg.6aca4d7b13613a67e90192fb677d86c4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dbffd479e17e90bfd492207f070d10c7.jpeg

We also happened to receive our Silver medals from Captain Michiel Willems on that cruise 

image.thumb.jpeg.6e559ef1e72fac6ae6e0b744902a43a6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c63097bfe18becb6bb9e926fa47e8f2c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.924c953bc24516244d8a89548d1303d8.jpeg

Fred’s wife was the singer at the time in the Harry James Band 

image.thumb.jpeg.0d434e6a58bcd5bf626124a64e162693.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8fd86ee9729a0117fdabb3532fd7e47f.jpeg

A fantastic crossing was had by all 
Tony 😍

I'm sure that would have been an enjoyable cruise!  I just debarked the Zaandam with Captain Michiel Willems.  He was an easily approachable officer.  Just as trim as ever.

We had to back into pier 26 past the new Silver Nova.  When I spoke to him upon leaving about the Nova, he said he sure would like to have that ship in our fleet under his control.  About the same size as Zaandam, powered by LG and fuel cells with battery back up.  

• Like 1