Big band transatlantic crossings

Knickearth

We have not been on Holland America since 2006.  We are 3 star.  We did a few transatlantic trips and they had big bands onboard.  What a blast.  We had terrific times and got to meet great individuals.  Do they still have the big blanc crossings?

thanks

That would be a great thing. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of big bands around anymore. Even if there were, I don't think there would be budget to hire one for a long ocean voyage. They don't seem to be able to sort out a few musicians for each ship for those who enjoy classical music; or perhaps a show for the world stage.

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

We have not been on Holland America since 2006.  We are 3 star.  We did a few transatlantic trips and they had big bands onboard.  What a blast.  We had terrific times and got to meet great individuals.  Do they still have the big blanc crossings?

thanks

Times have changed (unfortunately) and on HAL you will not find big bands (and even a small band is questionable).  In fact, it would be unusual to even find a ships band on HAL that had a sax or horn player (HAL tends to rely on keyboards and a guitars).  You cannot create a Big Band experience without horns or woodwinds.

The closest thing to a Big Band crossing would be on the Queen Mary 2 where they do have a real ballroom and will usually combine a couple of the ship's bands to create a big band-type ball.  

Hank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir PMP said:

No, that kind of music will stay forever.

I agree completely, Lots of younger folks love big band. They also like to dance. A big part of the big band experience, then and now is dancing; it's not really intended to sit and watch. Big band performances always had a dance floor.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Isn't it also shifting demographics?  Big band music is from my parents' era.

Her Majesty and I just had a conversation about that.....When we began cruising, (90's) big band music was the thing....even on Carnival & NCL....Now, we hear Billy Joel, Elton John, Beattles, Rolling Stones and we realize time has moved on.....And the Beatles seems to be as far back as it goes these days. 

Time is moving on........

• Like 2

They better change the music by the time I get to the nursing home. 😁

HAL will never appeal to the next generation by promoting big band music and big band cruises.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Roz said:

HAL will never appeal to the next generation by promoting big band music and big band cruises.  

Great, let's bring in the rappers:

292388.thumb.jpg.b89600efbfcc7f0834301471c6f6338a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

While I cannot see "Big Band" music making a comeback to the extent that cruise lines would have a dedicated band aboard (nor would I be interested in it) just for that purpose, I've sailed on a couple of cruise lines in the last 2 years that have used their talented orchestra to pull together a one-time "Big Band" music event onboard as something different. That I could appreciate and get into.

Of course, that implies that you actually have an orchestra onboard to work with....  Oceania and Azamara both have them despite having smaller ships with less than 700 passengers.

Also -- the music onboard my most recent cruises has tended toward ABBA and Queen.  A few more years and we'll be up to the musical decade of my youth and we can look forward to punk and hair metal covers -- can't wait!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I'm not sure HAL is promoting big band music, the discussion was about how the big bands have disappeared. 

Many people who cruise on HAL are boomers and big band is before boomers. We're the bunch that made rock and roll,  and later rock music popular. Many if us and even ensuing generations still enjoy many forms of music.

I'm not sure how old you are but your music tastes will change with age. As the demographic changes so will the tunes.

Once upon a time, every trans-Atlantic cruise was a Big Band cruise. How well I remember it! They were such fun. I remember dancing until my legs burned, but those were also the days when HAL had Gentlemen Hosts for unaccompanied ladies to dance with. 
We had the Guy Lombardo Orchestra (a ghost band, obviously) on one cruise who played around the pool for two hours every sea day, had a couple of evening dances, a Tea Dansant, and some afternoon dance times. 

No fear of gaining weight from too many calories left unburned on those cruises! The hosts must have collapsed into bed every night. They never sat down so long as the band was playing. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Once upon a time, every trans-Atlantic cruise was a Big Band cruise. How well I remember it! They were such fun. I remember dancing until my legs burned, but those were also the days when HAL had Gentlemen Hosts for unaccompanied ladies to dance with. 
We had the Guy Lombardo Orchestra (a ghost band, obviously) on one cruise who played around the pool for two hours every sea day, had a couple of evening dances, a Tea Dansant, and some afternoon dance times. 

No fear of gaining weight from too many calories left unburned on those cruises! The hosts must have collapsed into bed every night. They never sat down so long as the band was playing. 

Sounds wonderful. I'm glad you were able to experience it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I'm not sure if we were on the same TA, but the Guy Lombardo Orchestra under the direction of Al Pierson was on the 2004 TA of Noordam III from Tampa to Lisbon.  The only time they asked the passengers not to dance was the evening they were the main show.  The band member who sang Auld Lang Syne at the begiining and end of every set was a member of the orchestra when Guy Lombardo was still alive.  These are a couple of pictures from the Balck and White Ball on the cruise.

IMG_2588.thumb.JPG.ada89c2c1186745bd5f7c43f2a238cdf.JPG

IMG_2590.thumb.JPG.9ee9df75ba53ef411c77d15f3afe3e91.JPG

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'm not sure if we were on the same TA, but the Guy Lombardo Orchestra under the direction of Al Pierson was on the 2004 TA of Noordam III from Tampa to Lisbon.

Not the same cruise, but likely the same group of musicians. 

I also sailed a cruise with the Harry James Orchestra, but it wasn't a trans-At. It was on Rotterdam V, back before my husband died. They were so good, too. 
I've enjoyed the Glenn Miller Orchestra live a couple of times, but not on cruises. There's a few big bands still out there, entertaining packed houses. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I also sailed a cruise with the Harry James Orchestra, but it wasn't a trans-At. It was on Rotterdam V, back before my husband died. They were so good, too. 
I've enjoyed the Glenn Miller Orchestra live a couple of times, but not on cruises. There's a few big bands still out there, entertaining packed houses. 

I bet the crowd is not all boomers is it? I know quite a few younger people who love that music and dancing.

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I didn't think I remembered you from that cruise.  As far as I can tell, Al Pierson is still leading the orchestra, but not traveliing as much.  

I would have loved to have been on the Rotterdam VI cruise with the Glen Miller Orchestra in 1999 that @Sir PMP mentioned.  Although I'm an early Baby Boomer, they are my favorite big band.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I bet the crowd is not all boomers is it? I know quite a few younger people who love that music and dancing.

That was a very long time ago. There may not have been anyone younger than boomers then! Not cruising without their parents, at least. I think it was the 1995 cruise, but can't remember that far back for certain. 

In the late 1990s my niece who was in her early 20s at the time and many of her friends that age loved the whole big band and jive, vibe there were places clubs hosting big band and jive nights. Ballroom dancing is popular with many age groups. That group are in their are in there 40s and still like the music and the dance. Of course most modern cruise ships don't have a venue where a large band could play and people can dance. I would say about the only place one could hope to find a big band "ball" for lack of a better description would be on Cunard where Black Tie is encouraged and expected.

I've been to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy performances where most of the crowd was much, much younger than I. Yes, very probably 20s and 30s. They danced in the aisles and were dressed for the occasion. Some of the men were even in zoot suits! Loads of fun. 
That is a really big band, too. I think there are something like 18 musicians on stage. 

The Lido pool area is about as big a dance venue as you will find for a band and dancing. 
No more rooms like the Ritz Carlton (Rotterdam V) on HAL ships. 

• Like 4