EPIC CURRENT CONDITION

cinderprince

I just booked a Dec 2024 cruise on the Epic and then watched a video on the ships current condition taken by a passenger. Can anyone tell me if this ship is still the wonderful Epic I remember with great shows, food and everything clean. This video said they only had one show and that the refurbishment was not done in 2020 as advertised but they were waiting until 2025. Nothing had been done to the ship since Covid. Any answers would be appreciated. This is my cruise since 2019.

25 minutes ago, cinderprince said:

I just booked a Dec 2024 cruise on the Epic and then watched a video on the ships current condition taken by a passenger. Can anyone tell me if this ship is still the wonderful Epic I remember with great shows, food and everything clean. This video said they only had one show and that the refurbishment was not done in 2020 as advertised but they were waiting until 2025. Nothing had been done to the ship since Covid. Any answers would be appreciated. This is my cruise since 2019.

We were on it in January this year. The ship was in decent shape. Not sure what shows are on it now as Priscilla had ended. 
 I don’t feel the ship was run down at all. 

3 hours ago, cinderprince said:

I just booked a Dec 2024 cruise on the Epic and then  ... thing(s) ... done to the ship since Covid. Any answers would be appreciated. This is my cruise since 2019.

Gosh, it's been 6 months since we took her eastbound on the TA & spent 15 days onboard, I'm sure conditions probably aren't exactly the same as it was then ... and lord knows in predicting how things will be, more than 12 months from now.  Wasn't our first return since the 2020 either, I would say she's about what one can expect with a 10+ years old mega ships that's been in mostly continuous operation with the usual wear-n-tear, nothing that really surprised us with the "French" curves and touches.  Sure, the mattress a bit worn & the high density foam sofabed eager to be replaced, not your 5 stars deluxe stateroom in steerage.  By and large, she's a fine ship, the MDR and specialty restaurants were as advertised, food & services good ... and, we found the ship's old EMC satellite WiFi internet to be 90-95% usable at sea, not fast & a bit pricey, which we knew.  Structurally, she appeared fine - surface rust at subtle spots in the cabin exposed to salt sea water & sprays, hand railings on the balcony overdue for a fresh coating of vanish & clear finish ... nothing safety-wise that I can see.  One of the smoothest sailing at 98% double occupancies - sunny days, warm & barely any waves - that we've been on crossing the pond, missed just 1 port due to weather with the extra sea day for a daylight Gibraltar passage.  It doesn't have the extra bells, whistles & appeals of the new mega ships but suit our purposes just fine.  DW, when asked, say "yes" again to book & sail her again if things are right ... loved our chosen secret angled mid-ship balcony on Deck 13 Fwd/Mid ... and, we didn't really explore eveything on the ship.  On the down side, production show cutback had started and we aren't into packed lounges for comedies & live game shows in the packed atrium loby, booked the one & only "Burn The Floor" show but since we saw it like 3 times on other ships within the past year, was enough to "skip" it. 

We did go to the "shortest" complimentary Platinum/+ Behind The Scene tour to peek below passenger decks & wasn't impressed with the personal "rules" of our CruiseNext "guide"  Dine With Officers was popular as there're lots of Sapphires & Diamonds onboard and no matter who the assigned host(s) were - informative & fun evening and get to learn something new each time.  

Feel free to browse & check out the semi-live review to decide for yourself ... I know, lately - there hasn't been much write-up since we disembarked in Barcelona in early May - and ask follow-up questions, etc. Cheers ! 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cinderprince said:

Just disembarked the Epic a couple of weeks ago.  She looked in good condition to me.  Matter of fact, I had sailed her a dozen years ago before this last sailing.  Felt she was kept in great shape!

Went to BURN THE FLOOR and Beatles shows.   All were excellent.  Smaller shows in the Atrium and different bars were all fun and great entertainers.  Never felt any lack of entertainment.

I’d sail her again without hesitation!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, cinderprince said:

I sailed on the Epic in April and I thought it was fine. Crew was great and friendly, it was clean, well kept maintenance. It was the 2nd time I had been on it, the previous sailing was 2013. Here's the link to my review.  The entertainment "Ebony and Ivory", a couple who sang was really good. You will get different opinions about the ship and the entertainment. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've sailed Epic twice, 11/2021 and 11/2022 both times Transatlantics from Europe to NY.  I love the ship - she's in good shape and I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.  As a matter of fact from my balcony on the Breakaway I am looking at her parked directly across from us in Naples.

Although I am wondering when they are going to get the light for that "W" fixed?  It's been out for a while.

20231110_125307.jpg

• Like 1

And here I am on the Epic having looked out at the Breakaway today and missing her in her original homeport of NY! Bonus additional Prima appearance in the back too. How often are three NCL ships in three different classes in the same port together?

PXL_20231110_165116921.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.6b31fd36333efdb750a8a5c10827d185.jpg

Speaking of the Epic, currently on the 12 day Mediterranean and enjoying it. Still prefer the Breakaway class ships and their layout but the Epic is clean and in good condition. Entertainment seems to be Burn the Floor and the Epic Beatles as the mainstays with other rotating acts. Yesterday we had a very good illusionist and tonight is a musical duo that can play over 40 instruments.The funky stateroom layout of the shower, toilet, and sink being separate does take getting used to and doesn't provide as much privacy as most are used to!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, allthebaconandeggz said:

And here I am on the Epic having looked out at the Breakaway today and missing her in her original homeport of NY

Breakaway will be back in NY for the Fall 2024 trips to NE/Canada with some Bermuda at the end.  I’m thinking of booking one of those next year.  I did Canada on the Escape this year and loved it.

I am on the Epic (Nov 8, 2923 sailing). Ship seems nice (first time on NCL, but have sailed Princess an Carnival). Only one main stage production for the 12 days, Burn The floor (?). They have a number of smaller shows, singers, magician, beetles tribute band,  etc. CCL had 2 mainstage productions for 7 day cruises. Hopefully I haven't missed any comedians.

Shanghai restaurant was disappointing.  I'm Chinese, and it was the equivalent of fast food Chinese. Cagneys was good. Breakfast buffet is good. Haven't had MDR yet.

Edited by richmke

• 4 weeks later...

We sail on the Epic in Feb 2024. Nice to read some comments here, as other reports are disturbing (30+ minutes for drinks, same for MDR regardless of reservations). 

One comment above seemed to indicate that the Epic does NOT have Starlink, but an Internet search says she does. 

Does the Epic have Starlink?  How is the performance?

I saw that video.  They showed a high traffic area of the hot tubs that the tile was a little worn/stained. 

I’d say that’s orettt common for even a few year old ship.  

We sail Epic in 17 days. Can’t wait. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, navychop3 said:

We sail on the Epic in Feb 2024. Nice to read some comments here, as other reports are disturbing (30+ minutes for drinks, same for MDR regardless of reservations). 

One comment above seemed to indicate that the Epic does NOT have Starlink, but an Internet search says she does. 

Does the Epic have Starlink?  How is the performance?

Yes.  Epic has Starlink.  It's a game changer.  It's the fastest internet at sea I've ever experienced.  Used it on a Mediterranean cruise a couple of months ago.

As far as the other service?  Didn't see any of that.  If you're waiting 30 minutes for a drink from a bar, you're not utilizing the bars on board.  They're about 75 feet from each other.  If there's a wait at one, walk 2 minutes in either direction and you'll get a drink at another one.

• Like 3

Nice. But YTer said the wait was at all bars. More than one YTer, I should add. 

I'm going to quit fussing and think positive about this trip. I can always take all three of our cards and order two drinks per card. Since one of us doesn’t drink, this should work well. 

Based on posts here, I think I might upgrade our Internet package. 

Thanks to all!

Epic main pool bar that serves liquor gets busy, they have another bar by the pool but I think it only served beer and no cocktails. So yeah unless your in Posh or planning on going indoors for a proper cocktail good luck by the main pool bar on a prime season cruise. Regardless Epic is old with rust stains showing in public areas, personally NCL needs to scrap everything older then getaway and escape.

Edited by JustAPilot

I’m sure by now some of the older ships are big money makers for the line… I’m sure they will keep them in service until they are no longer safe or don’t meet some sort of government regulations.  

A cruise is what you make of it and the attitude you have coming into it. My husband and I could have had a terrible cruise on Pr1ma due to all the nasty comments about that ship. Were there things we'd change? Did we not appreciate some? Yup! But, we didn't dwell on that stuff. We found the good. We're on a cruise. There's loads of good!! 

Back in March there were long lines at the bars on Joy. Just like on land. I've never gone into a bar at happy hour and experience a walk up, get what you want, and be drinking within two to three minutes. Some people just have unrealistic expectations. A couple weeks ago, I barely waited for a drink and rarely saw lines at the bars on Pr1ma. Others have had the opposite experience. It's all about your perception. 

Make sure you expect a few hiccups and don't have the highest of expectations. You'll have a wonderful time! And, if you're sailing with a romantic partner...use that opaque glass to dance for each other.

• Like 7