Survey about Solarium Family Hours

Luvcrusn

52 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I would at times say the outdoor pool is not friendly to families…There is always the ‘serious swimmer’ who feel it is appropriate to do full lengths in a pool regardless of swiping out of the way two six year olds and a grey haired elderly lady (me). To say nothing for the clique of elderly ladies (not me) standing in one area unwilling to move even when they are blocking access to the steps…

Also there is that temperature issue…There are many cruises where the outdoor pools are only for the hardy! The Mediterranean end of season, The Far East isn’t consistently hot and both TA and TP cruises can have many inclement days…

All I am trying to say is that I cannot see the hardship for most adults to have the Solarium open to families for just a couple of hours a day…

I couldn't agree with you more!!

I don’t know if I would open that Pandora’s box full time. The crew hardly enforces the lounge rule as it is. If they don’t enforce the hours they then leave it up to the guests to police the rules and that would cause even more issues. I would vote for leaving as it is. 

Edited by peterde
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, horseymike said:

We don’t go to the kids club.

Some of the bars are empty at times too.

Very good-- Keep the kids out of the Solarium!!

I get the impression that some of the posters on this thread that would allow kids in the Solarium don't follow the Dress Code and remove Gratuities ( I'll decide who to tip).

I'm not sure if they are the ones who taste food at the buffet while pushing their way around.

LOL--- about the hot tubs---- I think the bubbles are caused by etc etc. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Very good-- Keep the kids out of the Solarium!!

I get the impression that some of the posters on this thread that would allow kids in the Solarium don't follow the Dress Code and remove Gratuities ( I'll decide who to tip).

I'm not sure if they are the ones who taste food at the buffet while pushing their way around.

LOL--- about the hot tubs---- I think the bubbles are caused by etc etc. 

I find your remark a little offensive.  I follow the dress code on Celebrity and in any venue or country I visit…I never remove gratuities or taste food at the buffet. Just because my view on this topic is different than yours why do you have to assume I am a nonconformist? 

I accept that others may have a range of views that differ from mine…I totally respect the views of others. 

This post was not about allowing children into the Solarium all the time, simply about them having access some of the time…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I would at times say the outdoor pool is not friendly to families…There is always the ‘serious swimmer’ who feel it is appropriate to do full lengths in a pool regardless of swiping out of the way two six year olds and a grey haired elderly lady (me). To say nothing for the clique of elderly ladies (not me) standing in one area unwilling to move even when they are blocking access to the steps…

Also there is that temperature issue…There are many cruises where the outdoor pools are only for the hardy! The Mediterranean end of season, The Far East isn’t consistently hot and both TA and TP cruises can have many inclement days…

All I am trying to say is that I cannot see the hardship for most adults to have the Solarium open to families for just a couple of hours a day…

Sorry, I just don't agree with changing venue restrictions because there might be annoying people in the main pool. There are constantly card players taking up real estate in cafe al bacio--many find them annoying. Should Celebrity open the kids club to adult card players a couple hours a day to alleviate this?

I have no issue with family hours in the solarium pool when the main pool is unusable for maintenance, weather, etc. Short of that, I see no reason it shouldn't remain adults only.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not in favor of family hours in the solarium.  The designated hours I see now are when we typically use the hot tub -- before we get ready for dinner or a show.  And X still advertises solarium as adults only, not noting exceptions when families may use.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

I find your remark a little offensive

why do you have to assume I am a nonconformist? 

No offence intended---

Did not refer to or quote anyone.

My comment---"I get the impression that some of the posters "

18 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

No offence intended---

Did not refer to or quote anyone.

My comment---"I get the impression that some of the posters "

I guess I felt offended and targeted as I was one of very few who was looking at the use of the Solarium from the viewpoint of families…I totally understand and respect the reasons why some people really don’t want children in the Solarium. I expect those posters to understand that others (like myself) have a different viewpoint. 

I love the humour in many of your posts.  I value your contributions. I expect you to value the opinions of myself and others with a different viewpoint without needing to see us as ‘bad’ or ‘thoughtless’ cruisers which is the implication I took from your comment.

Edited by chemmo

52 minutes ago, kabmab said:

Not in favor of family hours in the solarium.  The designated hours I see now are when we typically use the hot tub -- before we get ready for dinner or a show.  And X still advertises solarium as adults only, not noting exceptions when families may use.

Yes, me too. I enjoy it late afternoon and early evening when even the adults have cleared out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

I agree with you. A lot of adults can be inconsiderate too. Also, a 14 year old with adult supervision is different then young kids running around screaming. They can implement rules like no running, horseplaying, loud noises, etc.. for some reason indoor pools give me the ick anyway 😅 

15 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I love the humour in many of your posts.  I value your contributions. I expect you to value the opinions of myself and others with a different viewpoint without needing to see us as ‘bad’ or ‘thoughtless’ cruisers which is the implication I took from your comment

Thank you for your compliment re my posts. Appreciate it. 

Of course we might have different viewpoints on some Threads-- No big deal.

Never implied or thought you or anyone on CC was " bad "--- some maybe a little " thoughtless " in comments posted or Threads started. 

No need to list any, but, some Threads are just --- I better leave it at that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shellyd22 said:

I agree with you. A lot of adults can be inconsiderate too. Also, a 14 year old with adult supervision is different then young kids running around screaming. They can implement rules like no running, horseplaying, loud noises, etc.. for some reason indoor pools give me the ick anyway 😅 

but it's for ADULTS ONLY.( just like the Spa and thermal suites), so no need for new rules that will.never be enforced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 1:53 PM, WatchHill said:

Finding a quiet area to relax on ships that overwhelm passengers with glitz and constant thumping music in excess of 100 dbls is an increasing challenge. Ships libraries have disappeared and replaced with high energy, revenue generating venues. We love the solitude of the Solarium and keeping it as an adult venue. 

Darcy 

couldn't agree more - lack of quiet space - and comfortable chairs - is becoming the norm, unfortunately

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

No the Solarium on RC is not exclusive adults only.  They have family hours - that's where all this is coming from.  As someone mentioned earlier, another move to have the Celebrity Experience like Royal Caribbean.  

I am not in favor of opening the solarium to children under the age of 21 for any period of time. 

Just off Symphony last week and solarium is 18+ only at all times

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

I find your remark a little offensive.  I follow the dress code on Celebrity and in any venue or country I visit…I never remove gratuities or taste food at the buffet. Just because my view on this topic is different than yours why do you have to assume I am a nonconformist? 

I accept that others may have a range of views that differ from mine…I totally respect the views of others. 

This post was not about allowing children into the Solarium all the time, simply about them having access some of the time…

understand your point of view but will offer this.     how many parents will ignore the set family times and be there all day?    What about the parents that will just drop their kids off and leave them unsupervised      Unfortunately, we ve witnessed this.    We ve been bopped by the “noodles” kids play with in the pools.   or nearly jumped on.  The parent in one case just giggled and we didnt see any parents connected to the jumper kids.    All in the Solarium

The old adage give an inch, they ll take a mile.   the staff would be placed in the position of trying to enforce the rules…security doesnt seem to want to.    

I m paying for a not cheap holiday, to relax and enjoy.   Not get run down by kids running around in an adult area.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

We spent a few hours today in the solarium and enjoyed the tranquility and soft music as we relaxed in the lounge chairs and caught up on reading.  Healthy light foods served at the spa cafe won’t attract kids. IMO the solarium was more inviting than getting off in Nassau.  
I looked across at the carnival ships and independence of seas. If celebrity installs water slides in the solarium they’ve lost a loyal cruise client. 

Darcy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 3Goofys said:

For goodness sake, if Disney Cruise Line can maintain an adults only area, Celebrity should be able to.  I certainly understand if the weather is poor, family time should be allowed for part of the time.

And Disney enforces it MUCH better. It's not perfect, but they enforce it much better than the other lines. Some of the lines don't even enforce it at all.

2 hours ago, Shellyd22 said:

They can also enforce the rule already in place. Adults Only.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

We spent a few hours today in the solarium and enjoyed the tranquility and soft music as we relaxed in the lounge chairs and caught up on reading.  Healthy light foods served at the spa cafe won’t attract kids. IMO the solarium was more inviting than getting off in Nassau.  
I looked across at the carnival ships and independence of seas. If celebrity installs water slides in the solarium they’ve lost a loyal cruise client. 

Darcy

No business can be all things to all people all the time. Celebrity has done rather well with a calmer , quieter , mature cruise experience. I hope they maintain that going forward.

As stated in previous posts , there are plenty of cruise options ( even within the same corporation) 

where kids will have a better time enjoying the features included with them specifically in mind.

I wish people would stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Thanks 5

Royal just raised the age for Solarium from 16 to 18. Makes sense.

I don't have a problem with 5-7 being family friendly. However, the only time it probably makes sense is when it is raining since the Solarium is enclosed. The other pool was never very crowded on my last cruise, and there should be plenty of space there. 

Interesting no one else has reported getting the survey.  Wonder if the ones who got one have sailed with kids recently?  

Anyway, my opinion is that except for cold or otherwise inclement weather when a designated family time is reasonable, the solarium should remain adults only.  And for that matter, during the family time it should be required that parents be present (I know, even harder to control).  

• Like 2