Photographer. LOVE or Hate?

Love or hate? Well ... I have noted in recent threads that it seems shipboard photogs are much less agressive than before. I know all are just out to make a living ... but in years past it seems they were more "in your face" all the time. Sometimes they would even not want to let people pass by before they could snap your picture. Now, as I say, it's much better.

The photographers are just doing their job. I don't remember the last time one really got "in my face" about taking a picture. About the only time now that we get "bugged" is when we're getting off the ship at a port and they've got the gangway kind of blocked or they insist you stop and take a picture. We actually kind of like the photos and cruise enough now that we only buy the best, the ones we really like. Since they just put the photos up in the gallery and let you find and pick your own you really aren't under any pressure to buy.

Met the best and worst pax.
Met the best and worst photographers. Those who are professional are great; I don't mind them at all. They are (or seem) friendly, get their jobs done quickly and aren't in our face when we least expect it. I have seizures triggered by flashing lights and, on one recent trip, a photog remembered it; as I came down the gangplank, I pointed to my MedicAlert bracelet, he nodded and told the person with the camera not to take a flash picture of me. I'd say they are much more pleasant than before.

exphotog, it would be difficult to remember you if you don't say who you are. We have photogs we have loved and some we have disliked as in any other profession. On our last cruise we did meet with a photog who went "the extra mile" for us. We missed our port arrival pix in Bora Bora due to circumstances beyone our control. The photog was so great he drug the life preserver with Bora Bora on it up to the top deck while we were in Tahiti and took the pix for our collection. We always but the arrival pix in a new port. This was so far beyond and above that he was well tipped and won't be forgotten!

I am always glad to get a professional picture taken onboard. The only time I passed up one ,was getting off in Cozomel...the photographers were wanting me to hold a huge iguana !!!

I did want to mention, that one of the best times I've had on a shore excursion was a photo tour at Fanning Island ( NCL Star Hawaii '04 ).On a sea day prior to Fanning we had an hour class, then walked around the island taking different pictures in different situations, the next sea day afer our pictures were developed, we got together again and critiqued each others. I really learned alot. Unfortunately, I've not seen this offered on any other ships.

On a recent cruise on the W'dam there were several times when the photographers set up a squeeze point that you simply could not get by without waiting in line to get a photograph taken. This is over the top.

Otherwise, I can tolerate them, and will decide whether to buy the photos or not. However, forcing people to wait by setting up in the middle of the gangway or corridor is contemptuous, and I let them know!

The "Captain's Welcome Onboard" reception/party usually has three of those chokepoints (Front Office area/atrium, the captain himself and/or just before you get to him and just inside the show lounge) where you basically are forced to follow the line because there is no other way in. It's still your choice to have or not to have those pics taken. It's all part of the process, no biggie!;) Looks to me like a lot of folks use that "standing in line" to "people watch".

Love or Hate ? I have to vote Hate.

They are not "just doing their jobs" when they cause bottle necks and block people from getting on/off the ship.

It may not hurt most people by having to stand on a ramp, but does cause a great deal of physical pain for some. Someone mentioned waiting 10 seconds. The wait at HMC on that ramp was by no means 10 seconds and one person in our party was in terrible pain because of the tilt of the ramp.

Many of those photo people have NO consideration for people. Some are rude and pushy.

I do not find photographers on HAL to be overly obnoxious. I find most of them to be friendly and respectful of others. If one doesn't want one's picture taken, most respect it.

I generally find HAL not to be too pushy. Some cruise lines, the photographers are "in your face" for pictures and the bar people are "in your face" for drinks. I do not find HAL personell that way at all.

I'm glad the Pirate, the Tiger, Clown etc. photo ops have been discontinued - they were a real pain.

Generally speaking we've found HAL photographers to be courteous - they go away when you decline. We're at the stage of buying only 'embarkation' shots (and we may give up on that too - I always seem to be wearing the same outfit!:rolleyes:) and perhaps a requested 'special' photo.

Our kids sometimes request that we bring back a 'dressed up' picture - think they hang it in their Party Room with the sign "How Old Folks Dress"! :o

Archived