Plus Package Clarification

Luv2CtheMouse9

3 hours ago, SCX22 said:

If liquids were of concern, then Princess would not allow passengers to bring their own beverages on board at all.

Based on what?  Princess can choose to prohibit or choose to limit. Their choice. But whatever it chooses to do and publish in its Passage Contract, it is still a rule. There was a post recently about smokers on the balcony and Princess seemed incapable of or unwilling to enforce its rule. But that failure to enforce does not give everyone else the right to say that Princess’ no smoking policy is just a “guideline”. We, as passengers, have neither the right nor the ability to declare a rule that is published in the Passage Contract to be a guideline. We are not that entitled. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Based on what?  Princess can choose to prohibit or choose to limit. Their choice. But whatever it chooses to do and publish in its Passage Contract, it is still a rule. There was a post recently about smokers on the balcony and Princess seemed incapable of or unwilling to enforce its rule. But that failure to enforce does not give everyone else the right to say that Princess’ no smoking policy is just a “guideline”. We, as passengers, have neither the right nor the ability to declare a rule that is published in the Passage Contract to be a guideline. We are not that entitled. 

I get what you are saying, but the simple answer for the cruiseline is enforce your rules or change them.  If not, they will be viewed as suggestions or guidelines, whether it be smoking or bringing on your own soda or something else.

And of course, that gets magnified on forums such as this one as people share their experiences.

I have had Princess security persons checking you back on the ship in ports tell me they never hassle with drink items bought back on board, alcohol or no alcohol.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:27 AM, JimmyVWine said:

We, as passengers, have neither the right nor the ability to declare a rule that is published in the Passage Contract to be a guideline. We are not that entitled. 

When it doesn't pose a risk to passenger safety, such as the dress code or bringing beverages on board, enforcing the "rules" just cause conflict.  Cruise lines can't limit liquids brought on board, all passengers would revolt because that would mean that their toiletries would also be affected.  As far as the rules for carrying liquids on board airplanes, those rules are set by the ICAO, the airlines could care less. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually it does not matter what you personally think.  It is a rule that is strictly enforced.  Period.

1) It isn't that strictly enforced. I have accidentally brought "liquids" in my purse onboard without showing them to the TSA when I forgot they were there (Chapstick and sunscreen count)

2) Not all rules are good rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

When it doesn't pose a risk to passenger safety, such as the dress code or bringing beverages on board, enforcing the "rules" just cause conflict.  Cruise lines can't limit liquids brought on board, all passengers would revolt because that would mean that their toiletries would also be affected.  As far as the rules for carrying liquids on board airplanes, those rules are set by the ICAO, the airlines could care less. 

Who determines what is a risk ?  That is up to the cruise line. Some may think my offering vodka to your 18 year old is dangerous even if I don’t 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

1) It isn't that strictly enforced. I have accidentally brought "liquids" in my purse onboard without showing them to the TSA when I forgot they were there (Chapstick and sunscreen count)

2) Not all rules are good rules.

And, this is one of the reasons it takes so long for us to get through security.  People who “forget” or “accidentally” try to push through prohibited items and the TSA agents are now spending my valuable time removing items and conversing with the offender.  If we all just followed the rules we would get through security faster and with less stress.

Again, your opinion of the rules is completely irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

Who determines what is a risk ?  That is up to the cruise line. Some may think my offering vodka to your 18 year old is dangerous even if I don’t 

The cruise line determines the risk.  If one of their rules aren't strictly enforced, then it means that the risk is low.  The weapons ban is an example of a rule that is enforced because of high risk.  In Ketchikan on the Majestic Princess this summer, a kid bought a slingshot as a souvenir and it was confiscated and stored by ship security.  Meanwhile, the 12 pack of soda I bought at Wal-Mart in Ketchikan breezed right through.

10 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

And, this is one of the reasons it takes so long for us to get through security.  People who “forget” or “accidentally” try to push through prohibited items and the TSA agents are now spending my valuable time removing items and conversing with the offender.  If we all just followed the rules we would get through security faster and with less stress.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I didn't realize I hadn't pulled out the items until I got on the plane and was rummaging through my purse looking for a protein bar. 😉 

IME the TSA doesn't treat the liquids rule very seriously. This is probably because they are well aware that liquids aren't really that dangerous.

10 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

As is yours. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

That was an anecdote about accidentally having chapstick and sunscreen on their person.  

Edited by p.pete
self moderating

14 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I didn't realize I hadn't pulled out the items until I got on the plane and was rummaging through my purse looking for a protein bar. 😉 

IME the TSA doesn't treat the liquids rule very seriously. This is probably because they are well aware that liquids aren't really that dangerous.

As is yours. 🤷‍♀️

Of course your opinion matters.  You even got replies!

Princess need to have rules, and we to a greater or lesser extent need / should comply with them, and that's basically what we're agreeing to when we buy a ticket - but... as you said above, not all rules are good. 

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually it does not matter what you personally think.  It is a rule that is strictly enforced.  Period.

It is a rule that you have anecdotally observed being enforced on a finite number of occasions.  Other anecdotes suggest that enforcement is not particularly strict - though I am sure it varies by day and by port and by busier / quieter times etc.  

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

People who “forget” or “accidentally” try to push through prohibited items and the TSA agents are now spending my valuable time removing items and conversing with the offender.  If we all just followed the rules we would get through security faster and with less stress.

Are you using air quotes on "forget" because you don't mean forget and therefore every time someone gets stopped by TSA it's intent to break the rules?

My MIL from years ago went on a cruise with us.  I told her repeatedly that 3oz was the limit, but we are going through security she gets stopped, and she had a bottle of some kind of lotion that she had just bought and was arguing with the TSA agent that she forgot, which I'm sure for her she did, as she was elderly.  Mistakes do happen, especially for people who don't fly regularly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Are you using air quotes on "forget" because you don't mean forget and therefore every time someone gets stopped by TSA it's intent to break the rules?

My MIL from years ago went on a cruise with us.  I told her repeatedly that 3oz was the limit, but we are going through security she gets stopped, and she had a bottle of some kind of lotion that she had just bought and was arguing with the TSA agent that she forgot, which I'm sure for her she did, as she was elderly.  Mistakes do happen, especially for people who don't fly regularly.

Of course not everyone intentionally breaks the rules!  We’ve all done it with a “OMG, how did I miss that?”  Recently, my husband threw my can of hairspray into his carryon (it was empty) because he thought I had forgotten it after our cruise.  Yup, wasted everyone’s time in line while they searched the rest of his bag.  

I’m referring to people who don’t respect the rules and who push the boundaries because as the other member said in post #28 the rules are stupid.  I, for one, would rather the TSA erred on the side of caution when I’m travelling on a plane.  I’m glad there are rules to try to keep us safer when flying.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Nor are they enforced.  At the end of the day, this is the cruise lines fault if they create rules or guidelines and don't enforce them.  Same with dress policy at the MDR. 

I agree 100%.  If Princess fails to enforce their own rules, then the rules become meaningless.  Dress codes fall into the category of obsolete.  I like to dress up, some don’t.  I honestly don’t care.  If Princess cares, then enforce the dress code, if not then eliminate it.  Simple.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

How in the *world* did we get here.....?

In a pretty direct line, actually.  The Original Post contains the following statements and question:

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

....How staunch is Princess security about this? Are they going to cause a stink? 

The discussion as to whether the Passage Contract limitation of "12 sealed unopened cans/cartons per person" is strictly enforced follows directly from the OP's question.  Not really much of a drift at all. Now, drifting off into Dress Code land seems to be a bit of a detour, as the Passage Contract does not mention that at all.   

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Nor are they enforced.  At the end of the day, this is the cruise lines fault if they create rules or guidelines and don't enforce them.  Same with dress policy at the MDR. 

Possibly we're trying to be a bit binary - it's either good or bad.  From Princess's perspective, it costs money to check everybody getting on board for contraband, and it would create ill will and mistrust - just because it's not enforceable doesn't mean it's a bad rule.  If it made no difference to how much money they made, or if they could make more money by letting everyone bring their own drink, then that might be the path that they'd take.  Obviously they wouldn't, so they have a rule against it, but that rule isn't enforceable (strictly, 'period', as lady arwen would say).  So they pull the occasional person aside, and people know it's not a free for all.  From a personal perspective, being honest, I'd rather pay the money for a cruise where they aren't allowing everyone to do exactly as they like, I go to music festivals when I want to spend time with people turning up with their own slabs of beer 🙂

And yes, what was the original topic? 😄  Isn't it wonderful how conversations go, are there rules for this thing - still figuring it out...

15 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I agree 100%.  If Princess fails to enforce their own rules, then the rules become meaningless.  Dress codes fall into the category of obsolete.  I like to dress up, some don’t.  I honestly don’t care.  If Princess cares, then enforce the dress code, if not then eliminate it.  Simple.

Because the dress code is there, I'll dress up.  If I thought nobody was going to be dressed up then I'd do something more relaxed - so the dress code assures me that at least some people will also be dressed up, and like you I don't care if others are doing their own thing.  Lots of people enjoy dressing up, so having the dress code is a good thing as it means there'll be some dressed up people - but if they are making boats bigger and bigger and want to reliably sell 3000+ cabins every time, the proportion of people conforming is going to start to slip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

@Luv2CtheMouse9 we always book Plus and lately we've been trying Premier...but we also pre-order the water package. It's really convenient to have 12 bottles of water just waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive. It's the best $7.08 bargain to be had on board! Just remember to pop several into the fridge right away so they can be cooling. 

How did you guys like the Premier package as compared to the Plus package?