Live from Euribia 3 November

Eglesbrech

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Eglesbrech! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Eglesbrech was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We are sailing on MSC Euribia on Friday so thought I would drop a few notes as it’s our first time on this ship.

Well we are on our way to Southampton a day early as the weather tomorrow (Thursday) looks horrendous. Better an extra day in a hotel than miss the ship. Someone who is onboard at the moment has said they have already been advised that Euribia will be missing their call to Le Harve tomorrow.

The journey today has been dreadful as part of  the M6 was closed after an accident and we ended up going east and down the m1. Very long road but at least we did it in decent weather (and we’re not the poor souls involved in the accident).

We are now ensconced in a hotel for 2 nights and I have to say so far the weather has been fine, no more than light rains. The worst I suspect is yet to come.

Followed Euribia as she left Rotterdam and 10pm last night, much later than the advertised 1700 and is now sitting at sea.

Friday Day 1

As soon as I woke I checked that the ship was in Southampton, which thankfully she was.

We arrived to park the car at the port at around 10.15 and embarkation was quick and seamless. We were onboard drink in hand by 10.45.

The first difference I noticed in this ship compared to Virtuosais is the art work. I would say it’s not as eye catching on here, a bit dull in my opinion but that is of course personal taste. We had a wander around and the Carousel lounge is for music rather than shows so look forward to trying that out. Some of the restaurants have changed location as well and other than that the ship looks and feels like Virtuosa.

For those in YC there is no self service snack area in the top sail lounge. The cold area on Virtuosa with the nice little snacks of aranchini, olives etc has been replaced by a wine fridge! I have to say I don’t like this change at all as we often had a snack rather than a breakfast or lunch.

Lunch was excellent. I had a lovely goats cheese salad followed by veal pasta and OH Parma ham and mozzarella then sea bass. The wine list has changed and is now a laminated sheet so I suspect it will be the same for every meal but there is a fairly decent choice (up until now on MSC we have had a different choice of wine with each meal on a paper which changed every day).

The cabin is lovely as ever with all the usual nice little touches. We have a dark chocolate in the fridge so that all mine as OH doesn’t like dark - what a pity😈.

We went for a pre dinner drink and along with it came a lovely little tray of nibbles (like the ones which used to be out for self service). This included Morazella and tomato, canapés with smoked salmon, pizza, a little sandwich, a vol au vent and little cakes.

Busy evening ahead so I will update tomorrow.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

For those in YC there is no self service snack area in the top sail lounge. The cold area on Virtuosa with the nice little snacks of aranchini, olives etc has been replaced by a wine fridge!

i don´t like that change.

Have a great cruise and thank you for posting.

• Like 2

You Can have all the snack you wants in the Lounge, just ask.

We were on Euribia last week in the Yacht club. We had a fantastic Cruise.

It must have been terrible in the English Chanel Yesterday in the storm.

I hope the ship, passengers and the Crew all are feeling Well.

1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

i don´t like that change.

Have a great cruise and thank you for posting.

Agreed! I don't see how it cuts down on waste if all of the snacks are delivered to a table when you might only want a couple of the same kind, or one of one kind and none of the other.

Thanks Eglesbrech for your review and hope you have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

day1 (part 2)

We had a wander around the ship and it’s pretty busy down in the main areas. Apparently it is the school holidays in parts of Europe so lots of children onboard. Announcements are being made in English and Spanish and I can see why as there are large family groups of Spanish people with grandparents, parents and youngsters, feels like being in the Costas.

Well we went to the show in the theatre and got to see just about half of it.

We sat in the YC area of the theatre about 10 minutes before the show, all good. The show started, fine. Then the entertainment staff started to direct every single late comer into the YC seats. They all walked right across our view and then pushed into the seats. This lasted for the first 20 minutes of the show. I’m not impressed by this and will be commenting about it to the YC director. Fine to use up free seats for a few minutes after the start but not 20 minutes into a show, totally unacceptable.

The show was fine and the couple doing the adage part of it really good.

After the show we went to dinner and got seated next to a really lovely German couple and had a great conversation throughout the meal. I had the blue cheese “soufflé” which was not to my taste and flat as a pancake so I didn’t eat it, Oh had onion soup which he enjoyed. We both had the Angus steak which was lovely followed by a good cheese plate and port.

No turn down service in the room which is most unusual but we are lacking for nothing so not an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Preziosa said:

We had turn Down service every Night in 15005. It must have been a mistake in your room.

enjoy your Cruise.

Yes just a mistake, they happen. This morning we had a beautiful little glass box filed with slabs of nutty chocolate delivered along with the daily timetable. 

This really must be my cruise as I love nuts and OH doesn’t touch them so the toblerone is all mine and so are todays chocolate bars.

At sea day 2

Lovely calm seas. Had a very nice breakfast of fresh fruit, fresh orange juice and strong black coffee with the lovely view of the sea.

Went for a wander around the shops just for a stretch of the legs. A word to the wise, make sure you bring any pharmacy items you need with you (which we did). The prices for basic items like pain killers, seas sickness meds or antacids etc are eye watering high onboard.

Also took a first look at the Helios wine area which replaces “robot” bar in the same space on Virtuosa. A interesting selection of wines in enomatic

Wine dispensers.

The chocolate shop is interesting as it still has some lovely Halloween sculptures but they are working on new Christmas ones in the background so we get to see both.

While I’m not so keen on the art work in general I do like the glass seas creatures in the MSC foundation area and the big Tv screen fish tanks.

The YC staff are lovely and very friendly as are the guests we have had the pleasure of speaking to to date. There is an eclectic mix of mainly Germans and Italians, Brits are in the minority. There are some children in YC but they are extremely well behaved, a credit to their parents.

When passing people I try to guess whether I should say bonjourno, bonjour, gluten Morgan or good morning etc.

Went to the Master her event and gave up after 10 minutes as there are just too many languages being repeated which slows the event down.

Had a nice hot chocolate then off to lunch. They were making fresh angel hair pasta vongoli in the restaurant, just delicious. Last night they did crepes suzette out in the restaurant (which I didn’t have but it looked OH enjoyed after being “pursued to try it after his cheese).

Followed this with turbot in sweet pepper sauce for me and chicken bbq for OH, both good. The food has all been very good so far, the service is slower/ more relaxed than in the U.K. but I’m on holiday so there is no rush at all and it’s nice to sit and savour a meal.

We went a walk out on deck and enjoyed some fresh air then had a go at the motorbikes in the fun zone.

This afternoon there was a beer festival in the galleria. The staff were all dressed in Bavarian costume, giant blow up Steins etc along the promenade and games. The ceiling had matching decorations. I have to say they have put a lot of effort into these type of de vents as later in the evening the ceiling changed to Circus and the staff were on podium in fancy costumes doing tricks, making balloon animals for the children etc

Tonight’s theatre shows was the fair well show as Hamburg is the main port. A mix of music styles and acrobatics topped off with opera. Very enjoyable as a variety show.

Dinner was really tasty again, Mediterranean night. We both had a selection of seafood followed by spring lamb. I’ve already given up on pudding, only so much food you can eat in a day.

Said goodbye to out German friends who leave tomorrow.

Back to the cabin where we had been left macarons, Prosecco and nougat.

• Thanks 2

For information the ship is offering a Brugge on your own transport which was not advertised in the excursions before the cruise. 

It leaves at 8.45 for 6 hours (including transfer times) for 49 euros pp. 

This may be specific to this cruise as others have mentioned it was not offered to them. It was advertised in the daily programme last night.

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

For information the ship is offering a Brugge on your own transport which was not advertised in the excursions before the cruise. 

It leaves at 8.45 for 6 hours (including transfer times) for 49 euros pp. 

This may be specific to this cruise as others have mentioned it was not offered to them. It was advertised in the daily programme last night.

The shuttle just outside the port is a lot cheaper, as are the public transport options(but take longer).

The medical centre on Virtuosa had some over the counter available cheaper than the shops(no consultation needed).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The shuttle just outside the port is a lot cheaper, as are the public transport options(but take longer).

The medical centre on Virtuosa had some over the counter available cheaper than the shops(no consultation needed).

Thanks, we always bring a well stocked first aid box but that’s helpful information for those who perhaps don’t.

Hamburg is in lockdown as there is a hostage incident at the airport. A car rammed the airport and is currently parked under a plane, they have also been throwing petrol bombs. There are no planes in or out and many of the roads are closed. Ships security is on high. The ship feels empty as no one is flying in and those going out are being transferred elsewhere.

So a quiet day onboard.

We booked for the sushi restaurant (diamond perk) and it was really excellent. One of the best I have tried on a ship, lovely selection of food and interesting Japanese beers and Suntory whisky. The service from     our waiter, Narayan Jack, was also outstanding.

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Hamburg is in lockdown as there is a hostage incident at the airport. A car rammed the airport and is currently parked under a plane, they have also been throwing petrol bombs. There are no planes in or out and many of the roads are closed. Ships security is on high. The ship feels empty as no one is flying in and those going out are being transferred elsewhere.

So a quiet day onboard.

We booked for the sushi restaurant (diamond perk) and it was really excellent. One of the best I have tried on a ship, lovely selection of food and interesting Japanese beers and Suntory whisky. The service from     our waiter, Narayan Jack, was also outstanding.

It appears to be some sort of custody dispute.   The poor child in the car is only 4 year's old.   Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

Edit:    It's just been confirmed it's over.   Peacefully

A quiet day is probably not a bad thing.   It was raining when I was there three weeks ago, although thankfully did clear up in time to take photos of the Rathaus.

Good to hear you're enjoying Euribia so far.  I agree about some of the artwork, although I actually ended up really liking the picture in the cabin, which could only be described as the product of an octopus and a peacock having a love child.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The show tonight was the Ed Sheeran song book which was enjoyable. They have some excellent dancers onboard and the adage person has changed. They are offering a second show along in the Carousel lounge which we haven’t got round to as yet but at least it is an additional choice.

There have been a number of crew changes including the Captain, the MC who does the 5 languages, some waiters etc.

Large  passenger turnover today as well and most of the children are now gone. The ships feels as if there are fewer people onboard, lots of free tables when we went for a walk in the Gallaria. Perhaps people are just tired after their journeys and having an early night, we will se tomorrow. The YC is certainly quieter tonight.

The food continues to be very good. Even more Mediterranean than on Virtuosa. The pasta is always excellent.

OH was happy tonight as the room snack was mini lemon meringue pies, no nuts. All the little treats have been sweet which I think is a good change as we were often not able to eat the savoury treats being too full from meals so they were wasted and I’m sure we were not alone in that.

Found a new drink tonight. A zero alcohol passion fruit gin and tonic with burnt orange slice and cardamom, really lovey and gives my liver a rest! I always like to try the zero drinks but many of them are just too sweet but this is definitely sharper.

Sea day tomorrow and formal night.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

There have been a number of crew changes including the Captain, the MC who does the 5 languages, some waiters etc.

Has Christopher Pugh gone home?    He was the captain on both my Virtuosa fjord trip in May and a few weeks ago on Euribia.     Same jokes!!!!   😆