Shops on iona

Bin man

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Regardless of whether you "paid" for this OBC or not, and IMO the jury is out on this, the fact remains that spend it or lose it still pertains. You could  argue that having paid for it you should only buy something you really need, rather than frippery, but if you dont spend it you have still lost it.

Circumstance also plays a part, we had booked a cruise on Iona and had £420 OBC allocated as part of that purchase, so I could say I bought the OBC however we rebooked the same cruise and got a 10% discount on the cruise plus triple OBC giving us £600 more OBC which in effect was free. We have no chance of spending this extra money unless we purchase trips, speciality dining or buy over priced shop items. However traumatic it will be spending said OBC I am sure I will muddle through, because as you say use it or lose it.

We have spent many years building up to the 10% peninsular discount and ironically hardly ever had the benefit of it as the OBC has covered our onboard costs, however I won't lose any sleep over that either. Free money oh yes.

36 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have no chance of spending this extra money unless we purchase trips, speciality dining or buy over priced shop items.

I wonder how P&O would feel if you sold your OBC onboard to other passengers - they give you cash, you buy the product in store and hand it over to them. And I wonder what the exchange rate would be.

3 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

I wonder how P&O would feel if you sold your OBC onboard to other passengers - they give you cash, you buy the product in store and hand it over to them. And I wonder what the exchange rate would be.

we have bought bottles of spirits and cigars with our OBC for friends or people we met on the cruise and they have given us the cash. Exchange rates are negotiable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Sorry to interject on a PO board, but just noticed.  Know of a group of 6 who regularly cruise PO, purchase spirits and cigarettes on board (with/without OBC), then sell at a profit onshore.

35 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

purchase spirits and cigarettes on board (with/without OBC), then sell at a profit onshore.

Judging by some of the prices advertised in the duty free shop on Britannia recently, if I'd tried that I could have made a loss! I can't remember the exact price but Baileys, for example, is about £5 cheaper in Iceland (the shop!).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Judging by some of the prices advertised in the duty free shop on Britannia recently, if I'd tried that I could have made a loss! I can't remember the exact price but Baileys, for example, is about £5 cheaper in Iceland (the shop!).

This is often the case, usually we only buy the special offers usually 2 Litres for £ x, sometimes it can be slightly cheaper onboard but I can't be bothered carrying bottles of booze to save a few pence. I did notice that bottles of Baileys were £10 (70cl) at ASDA this morning as I like Baileys but only have it at Christmas, especially over icecream.

I don't see the problem. So the shops sell goods that are overpriced. So what? They don't force anybody to buy. I think plenty of folk do actually buy goods on board, and I'm sure the shops get a good return.

If somebody enjoying their holiday wants to be frivolous and pay whatever for a watch, handbag or anything else for that matter, and it gives them pleasure to do so, that's fine by me.

How do you know the goods are overpriced? Oh I see, you go in the shops and then google for the price on land, no doubt using the overpriced wifi package that you bought.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I don't see the problem. So the shops sell goods that are overpriced. So what? They don't force anybody to buy. I think plenty of folk do actually buy goods on board, and I'm sure the shops get a good return.

If somebody enjoying their holiday wants to be frivolous and pay whatever for a watch, handbag or anything else for that matter, and it gives them pleasure to do so, that's fine by me.

How do you know the goods are overpriced? Oh I see, you go in the shops and then google for the price on land, no doubt using the overpriced wifi package that you bought.

True, plus there are plenty of shops in the UK that sell overpriced goods. I usually buy my Skagen watches onboard if they are cheaper than I can get one at home. 

I think they make more profit on the shorter 7 night cruises. On our 35 night Ventura cruise, the so called ‘high end’ shops were deserted. They had all sorts of table sales later on and the staff seemed quite desperate to make any sales. 

• Like 1

Although I don't recall the prices, I thought that the duty free booze prices on Aurora in September were more than we paid for the same stuff on Arvia in April.  On the September cruise we only bought two bottles and that was because on that cruise there was a short window where you could buy 1 litre each for onboard consumption.

• Like 1