Grand delay

lara h

Off on a short cruise that is now even a bit shorter!

Ā 

Grand Princess has elevated NORO cases and hence will do a deep clean on arrival in Melbourne this Saturday. Instead of departing at 5pm, communication states that all must be on board by 7 pm, no mention of sailaway time. Arrival at the pier cannot be earlier than 3.30 pm as there will be a deep clean of the terminal also.

Ā 

Never been on a ship that has undergone a "deep clean". Does that involve all staterooms as well?

36 minutes ago, lara h said:

Ā 

Grand Princess has elevated NORO cases and hence will do a deep clean on arrival in Melbourne this Saturday. Instead of departing at 5pm, communication states that all must be on board by 7 pm, no mention of sailaway time. Arrival at the pier cannot be earlier than 3.30 pm as there will be a deep clean of the terminal also.

Ā 

Never been on a ship that has undergone a "deep clean". Does that involve all staterooms as well?

Yes it does include all staterooms which would be cleaned anyway but will have a more stringent clean.

43 minutes ago, lara h said:

Ā 

Ā 

Wouldn't that give you the #@%#!

Ā 

Part of the "deep clean" of the ship isn't actually cleaning, but local health authorities inspecting to ensure that the proper hygiene steps are in place. Much of the deep cleaning on the ship will already be happening on a daily basis.Ā 

Ā 

pump.jpg.06403de0af88cc0ee304f6fb9a056f73.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lara h said:

Ā 

Ā 

Deep cleaning involves a very thorough cleaning of the ship with more crew than are usually involved in cleaning. Teams seem to follow each other and clean areas that have already been cleaned, particularly the public areas - to be sure, to be sure. There would also be cleaning in the area of the terminal where people wait.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:23 PM, lara h said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Given they've also had plumbing problems in the cabins (toilets not flushing properly; toilets overflowing when not in use onto carpets in wardrobe areas etc) they've got a bit of work to do.

Ā 

Hopefully the galleys will be getting a thorough scrub down with bleach as well.

Ā 

Just imagine having covid and norovirus at the same time. šŸ¤¢

On 11/9/2023 at 1:15 PM, arxcards said:

Wouldn't that give you the #@%#!

Ā 

Part of the "deep clean" of the ship isn't actually cleaning, but local health authorities inspecting to ensure that the proper hygiene steps are in place. Much of the deep cleaning on the ship will already be happening on a daily basis.Ā 

Ā 

pump.jpg.06403de0af88cc0ee304f6fb9a056f73.jpg

Gosh, this image reminds me of my beloved grandfather pumping Mortein frequently, in a vain attempt to eradicate Hawkesbury River mosquitoes, that to my young mind, resembled helicopters. Ā Itā€™s a miracle we all survived.

2 hours ago, windsor26 said:

I had hoped with the better hygiene practices due to covid that noro had disappearedĀ  perhaps people are getting careless againĀ  Ā such a shame

It only takes one. If it happens to be caught by a buffet waiter (example), the one becomes two with a multiplier.

Ā 

There has been a few bugs getting around on land, With a couple of years of minimal contact to those bugs, we also lose a bit of resistance to them.

12 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Gosh, this image reminds me of my beloved grandfather pumping Mortein frequently, in a vain attempt to eradicate Hawkesbury River mosquitoes, that to my young mind, resembled helicopters. Ā Itā€™s a miracle we all survived.

My grandfather used to have the same sort of thing. I don't recall it being Mortein, but it was pretty potent. Lots of mosquito coils burning too. I drive past Ozzie the Mozzie every work day. The big & docile Hexham greys are something to behold, but are a pretty rare sighting these days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Reminds me of the mossies in the south of NZ South Island which were like little helicopters. Ā We bought the biggest collection of Mosquito Repellant in NZ that I had ever bought. Ā Who thinks of mossies in NZ, not to mention getting sunburnt. A country of surprises. Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Who thinks of mossies in NZ, not to mention getting sunburnt. A country of surprises. Ā 

Hi, we might not get as much sunshine as you Aussies, but because the ozone hole is right above us, what sun we do have is pretty fierce so you burn pretty quickly and, as said above, you should also use UV protection on an overcast day šŸ™

• Like 3

On 11/11/2023 at 2:18 PM, Jean C said:

Hi, we might not get as much sunshine as you Aussies, but because the ozone hole is right above us, what sun we do have is pretty fierce so you burn pretty quickly and, as said above, you should also use UV protection on an overcast day šŸ™

Actually the ozone hole is much smaller now. . The banning of CFCs worked.Ā  It's amazing what we can do if we all pull together.Ā  However, we still have the highest incidence of melanoma in the world.

Edited by onlyslightlymad
  • Like 3