Specialty dining and kids, with Premier package

Itchy&Scratchy

We've never had a Plus or Premier Package before, nor did we ever purchase Specialty dining. So, I don't know how it would work.

We have 2 adults and 1 13 yo in the cabin. Premier package applies to guests 1 and 2, and includes two Specialty dinners. What happens if we bring our kid with us to a Specialty restaurant? He is not an adventurous eater to put it mildly and he usually orders Fettuccine Alfredo in MDR every night. Most likely, he won't want anything off of the Specialty restaurant menu. Would he be charged for a specialty dinner if he orders from an MDR or kid's menu? Will he be charged if he takes some of our food? Or will he be charged anyway for simply taking up a spot in a Specialty restaurant, so we may just go ahead and order a specialty entree?

As an alternative to ordering while at the restaurant, we sometimes get a slice or two of pizza and bring it with us to MDR for him, but I am not sure if they'd allow a kid to bring food to a specialty restaurant from another eatery.

Please tell me about your experiences with this situation.

PCL charges 1/2 price for children.  I would expect no charge for a toddler.

The menus are are posted on Princess.com.  You could review and see if something suitable might be available.   You don't bring your own food to SD locations and they don't offer anything beyond their own menu choices.

I kind of doubt someone can be on a res and occupy a chair in SD without paying.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shanecindy21403 said:

At 13 they may charge full price. I think children pricing is for 12 and under.

Yes, you are correct.  My niece was 13 when she accompanied her parents to Sabatini’s and was charged full price.  She loved it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We've never had a Plus or Premier Package before, nor did we ever purchase Specialty dining. So, I don't know how it would work.

We have 2 adults and 1 13 yo in the cabin. Premier package applies to guests 1 and 2, and includes two Specialty dinners. What happens if we bring our kid with us to a Specialty restaurant? He is not an adventurous eater to put it mildly and he usually orders Fettuccine Alfredo in MDR every night. Most likely, he won't want anything off of the Specialty restaurant menu. Would he be charged for a specialty dinner if he orders from an MDR or kid's menu? Will he be charged if he takes some of our food? Or will he be charged anyway for simply taking up a spot in a Specialty restaurant, so we may just go ahead and order a specialty entree?

As an alternative to ordering while at the restaurant, we sometimes get a slice or two of pizza and bring it with us to MDR for him, but I am not sure if they'd allow a kid to bring food to a specialty restaurant from another eatery.

Please tell me about your experiences with this situation.

Your son would be charged full price at 13 years old.  No, you aren’t allowed to bring food into the specialty restaurants.  However, if you speak to the restaurant manager a day or so ahead of time, they can most probably put together a plate with things in their kitchen that your son would enjoy.  Princess is great for making meals off menu to please everyone.  Don’t worry you’re son will be taken care of.

• Like 4

I sail in a suite and have breakfast in the specialty restaurant every morning. The buffet has a few things the specialty restaurant doesn't like a smoked white fish. I go up to the buffet and getva plate with the white fish and bring it to the specialty restaurant. They bring me the cream cheese and bagel to go with it. So experience dictate you can bring food into the specialty restaurant at Breakfast at least. 

25 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I sail in a suite and have breakfast in the specialty restaurant every morning. The buffet has a few things the specialty restaurant doesn't like a smoked white fish. I go up to the buffet and getva plate with the white fish and bring it to the specialty restaurant. They bring me the cream cheese and bagel to go with it. So experience dictate you can bring food into the specialty restaurant at Breakfast at least. 

Thanks for letting us know this!  Whatever works for you is fine.  Perhaps they are much more flexible at breakfast than at dinner.

Been going to specialty dining since my kids were very young. I had forgotten that they did pay half price for a while! That was a great deal, because we often went to specialty dining!! At 13, the child will pay full price. If your child is a picky eater, maybe have them eat at the buffet (you can go with them) and book specialty dining when the child can go to the kids club? Just a thought. 

That's a great idea about contacting the restaurant beforehand, but if there are three people there, they will charge you for three. 

On 11/11/2023 at 2:54 PM, jennybenny said:

If your child is a picky eater, maybe have them eat at the buffet (you can go with them) and book specialty dining when the child can go to the kids club? Just a thought. 

thank you, unfortunately, he doesn't do kid's club at all.

We would rather go to the MDR together than leave him elsewhere for the duration of the dinner.

We may pick a specialty restaurant he'd like to try and pay for his dinner.

We are in exact same situation. trying to figure out how to use our 4 specialty dining that comes with the premier package. our kids are 2 and 4 yr old and they dont eat much if at all. hate to pay, even half price for kids that barely eats. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dream54ing said:

We are in exact same situation. trying to figure out how to use our 4 specialty dining that comes with the premier package. our kids are 2 and 4 yr old and they dont eat much if at all. hate to pay, even half price for kids that barely eats. 

If I remember correctly the 2 year old will be free.  I know my 3 year old granddaughter was charged when we ate (not with the premium package) at the Crown Grill this past summer.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

A friend of mine just got off a cruise. They had the premier, and their kids (17 and 16) did not have a package. They went to their two premier dinners and ate regularly at the casual dining and we're never questioned or charged for their kids.