My first experience of Iona after many cruises on smaller ships

Powellj3

As a regular P&O cruiser in my early sixties and a dyed-in-the-wool Aroura fan - I’ve just completed a fortnight on Iona.  The cruise was in half term holidays and the ship was full (5,412 passengers 104%).  So a very different experience.  Here are my views.

The ship

======

Stunning!  So much more on board and everything just works.  None of the constant army of deck staff painting and scraping.  But soo many people!  This meant so much (usually digital) queuing.  

Pre-booking 

========== 

You can pre book restaurants and entertainment a few weeks before boarding.  We chose to hit the app as soon as we boarded.  So disappointed as most venues were fully booked.  

The cabin

=======

Our sea view room was bigger than we were used to with a long settee that would make up to a bed.  There was a lot of machine noise (#4340). I guess this was generator noise.  There were no drawers at all.  No shaver socket in the bathroom, so nowhere to charge your toothbrush unless you bring an adapter.

Entertainment

=========== 

The best Headliners team I have seen (I’ve seen a few), helped by the state of the art AV in the theatre.  The acrobats in the sun dome were amazing.  Booking a big problem but the venues not over full as many of the pre booked seats were not occupied. Only managed to get to the 710 club after midnight as it was fully booked from day 1.

Food

====

Shout out for the Olive Grove (Greek themed with some pay extra items) and the Quays (fish&Chips, Asia and Burger/chicken fast food).  Others pretty much standard P&O fare.  No fixed dining.  Pre-booking was usually full days in advance in all venues (a theme here).  You could join a virtual queue and wait 30-45 minutes.

The teams

======== 

The entertainment team were low key and anonymous.  They did their job but no characters.  Cabin stewards looking rushed beyond.  These guys are so hard working.  A higher standard of waiting staff than on Ventura in the spring.

Activities

======== 

There were no enrichment talks, no ballroom dancing, no Sunday Church Service and no choir.  Quizzes, bingo, et all, same as usual.  Sail away parties when the weather allowed.  No loyalty cocktail party.  

Other observations

=============== 

We lost a port due to wind.  I did wonder if the sheer size of this ship meant it was affected more by wind.  Getting back on board was also a chore, simply due to the volume of people trying to get through security.  The lifts were way over subscribed.  Not helped by some very poor lift etiquette.  

A good promenade deck and masses of small pools everywhere.  Even adults only pool areas.  Lots of glass wind screening on all open decks and lots of glass walls on venues.  The atrium felt a bit like a shopping mall, without the modern drama of Britannia or traditional grandeur of Aurora.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Interesting feedback. We had 350 more passengers than you did when we were on Iona and it certainly felt very crowded. Our main problems were two that you also experienced - lack of lift capacity and poor lift etiquette, so much so that my wife (a wheelchair user) won’t entertain going on her again. We’ve just got off Ventura and it was chalk and cheese compared to Iona in these two regards. No lift issues at all and other passengers were very considerate to the needs of wheelchair users. 

Luckily we had no noise issues with our cabin on Iona (other than some thumping around on the balcony above us) and having been alert to the challenges getting into specialty restaurants we had booked them all when bookings opened at midnight 2 weeks before the cruise.

Would you be happy to go on Iona again? 

Adding a few comments sailed 3 times on Iona 21,22,and 23 same cruise sane place but this time was the most passengers we had sailed with. As we booked all 14 nights mdr 6pm we didn't see any queues we saw most 8.30 shows all booked prior 1st week and 2nd week whilst onboard .Rear lifts were fine most times just straight down from deck 10 to 6 .We only missed one mdr night cancelled on tge app celebration night 2nd week just couldn't choose anything so went to the buffet over dressed among the tee shirt brigade in my tuxedo never mind I was the odd one out. Food was about the same on all 3 cruises on Iona .Missed Alacanti just put my first claim in for missed port in 34 cruises so see how that goes. The pool at the back was closed the whole cruise for maintenance. The skydome music is still poor and doesn't help the entertainment. Find 1 person on their own is a bit better then a group but still very poor . We had booked the theatre most nights and most nights they never checked you in .The entertainment team on these big ships is nothing like the smaller ships anymore as  already reported .We got off ship at 7.45 am no customs found our 3 cases and away by 8.15am which was supposed to be our time in Andersons .Well next year we are trying Arvia so will be able to compare. PS WORST BAY OF BISCAY YESTERDAY DRAWERS AND CROCKERY WENT FLYING IN THE MDR 

• Like 3

I would cruise on Iona (or Arvia) again.  Only out of season though and then when there was a good offer (suggesting poor occupancy).  
we were on Ventura last spring on a 5 week tour of Belise / Mexico /US.  It certainly had its own problems - mainly because it was rushed out of dry dock and had many new staff.  But it felt like a family.  People were friendlier.  
I suppose part of that was the narrower type of cruiser.  Most retired, most with good P&O loyalty and hence into the “P&O thing”.  The sort of thing you get with Arcadia and Aurora, having that fierce small ship loyalty.

• Like 2

Yes would agree as we had done that cruise last two years obviously first 2 were covid times with less passengers we were supprised how well it went except for the weather at times ,but usually do end May mid September hoping to miss school holidays.I guess with 34 p and o cruises never done anything else and never will we are pretty loyal and just go with what ever is on offer.

• Like 1

I was on the same cruise the last couple of weeks, second time on Iona having done others.  A few points from me:

1 - Lift etiquette is lacking on all ships I've been on.  We're mid-forties and not all disabilities are visible.  There were some very rude queue jumpers who presumed we didn't need the lift, barged in and took our spaces.  I struggle with depth perception so to others there appears nowt wrong, stairs can become very precarious especially with a rolling ship and where edges aren't clearly distinguishable for me.  Front or rear lifts were quiet generally.

2 - I'm no foodie but the food seemed okay to me, always fresh and their butter chicken one night was very spicy, that took me by surprise, tasty though.  One odd day where the choice was veal and I think squid...  I opted for the Quays that day.   The hot vegetarian offering in Horizon seemed to not vary much for a few days.  Beach House lava steak now comes with prawns, this was my go to but I'm allergic to prawns...  Fajitas were a good back up.  My food didn't taste any different on celebration night in the buffet as some were in black tie and I wasn't!  Didn't do either of the formal nights, didn't bother taking a suit or anything like that.

3 - I had absolutely no complaints or issues at all.  Never struggled for a seat anywhere, never had bad service, never spotted any trouble though is you listen to rumours there was some.  It was the busiest sailing we'd done too.  Had one internet package between us which worked really well.  Never lost signal and could stream YouTube easily.  

4 - The cabin stewards work hard.  Very hard.  I take the bed linen off on my last morning, this really helps them.  A lot were working clearing tables in Horizon of an evening.  On the crew exercise day he didn't clean our room before 12:30, phoned to apologise and asked if we needed anything.  We didn't, I can imagine some people wouldn't have liked that.  Cabin was huge!  Longest I've had.  Quiet too.  Plenty of sockets and USBs.  Didn't spot the lack of sockets in the bathroom but I wet shave so wasn't looking.

5 - bugbears for me... people saving tables in Horizon.  I know and get why people do it but it's frustrating and only adds to the problem of it being busy.  A lot of children on board but what comes of a) going on Iona; and b) half the cruise going over half term.  That said some counties now have two weeks in autumn and less over the summer.  I knew families would dominate the pools and hot tubs so didn't bother with swimming togs.  I also saw a load of people at reception cancelling meals and that.  Good on them for cancelling rather than no show but why book on the off chance?  I had a late boarding time this time, and when I boarded and set myself up by 16:00 I could already book places.  I don't think this is fair.  By all means be able to book one of anything and maybe with loyalty add an extra but don't have people block booking when others don't get a look in, this means people don't get the full experience and can put them off coming back.  I have commented on this in other threads.  A lot of people want that last day Epicurean, I didn't stand a chance.  

6 - We took some board games to play, a couple were one-time play ones but could be replayed by someone else, I left them in the library on a shelf and was pleased to see a mum and son had picked them up and were playing them.

7 - Horizon was available electronically on My Holiday.  Maybe save some paper and give passengers an e-only option if they so wish.

8 - by the end a cold was going round, I dodged it but the chatter on the shuttle in Lisbon (between the coughing) was around the air con being to blame.  It didn't feel like it was the other thing.  Had this on Arcadia and Britannia as well.

9 - Entertainment... we keep ourselves to ourselves and I can be a small fish in a big pond on Iona.  Two weeks to switch off.  I have neve done the dancing, talks, shows, quizzes or parties.  I read, play games, browse online, ship spot, drink, eat, wander around.  Entertainment staff were a lot less cringy than previous, Britannia last year was just awful.  Infinity pool at the back was out for maintenance for the two weeks, just unlucky I guess.  Didn't cause too many issues.  It was relaxing.  

I find Iona is very marmite, you either love it or hate it.  I watched a YouTube video on another cruise line but their summary is quite apt.  If you are new to cruising then people love it.  If you are seasoned I find people generally don't like the change.  That's fine.  Different ships appeal to different people.  P&O are changing and Iona is appealing to a broader and new market for them in the longer term. For us it's not the ship that drives my holiday, it's the ports. For others it will be the ship.  Will I be disappointed if formal nights went in a decade or two?  Personally... no.  Would I want P&O to become a full on party ship?  No.  Iona is a halfway house in that respect.

A lot of people I spoke with were on the first cruise and thoroughly loved it and had booked a second, that's a good thing surely.  Others go looking for issues, wind themselves up over the smallest things (dust on top of one wardrobe door, I mean who goes looking) and then vow never to cruise with P&O again.  And then rebook...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

8 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

1 - Lift etiquette is lacking on all ships I've been on.  We're mid-forties and not all disabilities are visible.  There were some very rude queue jumpers who presumed we didn't need the lift, barged in and took our spaces.  I struggle with depth perception so to others there appears nowt wrong, stairs can become very precarious especially with a rolling ship and where edges aren't clearly distinguishable for me.  Front or rear lifts were quiet generally.

Of course it is rude and unacceptable to jump the queue.

However I would suggest that issues with the lifts are deeply exacerbated by not filling the lifts with the number of people they can comfortably accommodate.

Too often have I had to stand there with my foot in the door asking people to move back to let others in because there is clearly space for half a dozen more people in the lift.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

However I would suggest that issues with the lifts are deeply exacerbated by not filling the lifts with the number of people they can comfortably accommodate.

Too often have I had to stand there with my foot in the door asking people to move back to let others in because there is clearly space for half a dozen more people in the lift.

This could be post-p fallout and the changes in behaviour.  If you are in a shop and just need space to browse a cough and sneeze works wonders.

Also despite the fact it says "63 people can fit in this lift" the reality is somewhat different and it's overengineered.  Reassuring in a way.  And yes I know it doesn't say "63...".

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Not filling lifts has become very common since the pandemic, not just on cruise ships.  People have just become more conscious that ramming into a tight sealed space is not such a good idea because of spreading colds, coughs and other things.  It's now in the psyche and will be hard to remove.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Also despite the fact it says "63 people can fit in this lift" the reality is somewhat different and it's overengineered.  Reassuring in a way.  And yes I know it doesn't say "63...".

Particularly as most people on cruise ships are not under the 65kg weight they use as an average person...

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not filling lifts has become very common since the pandemic, not just on cruise ships.  People have just become more conscious that ramming into a tight sealed space is not such a good idea because of spreading colds, coughs and other things.  It's now in the psyche and will be hard to remove.

I find it easy to resolve, by simply putting my foot in the lift doorway so it isn't going anywhere until people do move back and make space.

9 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

1 - Lift etiquette is lacking on all ships I've been on. 

Bit of an oxymoron,

We are lucky and don't need to use lifts yet and hopefully won't for years to come, however I do find it amusing sometimes when observing from afar, we usually wait after the show until the theatre has cleared then leave , usually by which time there is a crowd in the lift area. I love it if Mrs YP goes to the loo and I can watch, the lift etiquette that is not mrs YP before someone else mentions it. There are those that stand around a lift doors willing to accept that is the lift they want regardless of whether another one comes first, furtively trying to figure out who is first and who may look like runners in the block ready to push through.

There are those who stand back watching the numbers count down, edging towards the one that looks like it may get there first but then stops on the floor above so move back into position. When the lift arrives it is a bit like the Finding Nemo film where he has been stranded on the ship and all the seagull are lined up eyeing him up and screeching mine, mine, mine.

I do wonder how long some people would stand and wait for a lift rather than walk up or down a deck or two, keeps me entertained anyway

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

People watching is fascinating.  I try and walk the stairs as much as possible and give up my space but sometimes I need the lift, Mrs RL does too. 

Listening to conversations is fascinating too.  What people expect for the price you pay is interesting.  For the price I paid on Iona my expectations were met and there was thus no stress or disappointment.  If I'd paid twice as much I'd have expected much better, but I knew what I was walking into.

• Like 4

Picking up on one of the points made, I think that a lot of new P&O customers are holiday makers at sea rather than people who love cruising and all that goes with it. There is a certain, in a lot of cases unwritten, etiquette, camaraderie and ways of behaving on a cruise, it is not just a hotel at sea IMO.

• Like 5

If it's unwritten then how is someone to know?  That creates a clique and they can cause ructions.  If someone won't let you in on the camaraderie, and some give off that vibe by how they talk at me, then how are you supposed to join in?  There has to be a compromise from both sides.

If it's unwritten then how is someone to know?  That creates a clique and they can cause ructions.  If someone won't let you in on the camaraderie, and being honest some give off that vibe by how they talk at me, then how are you supposed to join in?  There has to be a compromise from both sides.

Change happens, it has to happen at times.  It's not all bad. 

(I didn't mean to post twice!)

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

If it's unwritten then how is someone to know?  That creates a clique and they can cause ructions.  If someone won't let you in on the camaraderie, and being honest some give off that vibe by how they talk at me, then how are you supposed to join in?  There has to be a compromise from both sides.

Change happens, it has to happen at times.  It's not all bad. 

(I didn't mean to post twice!)

I see what I think STMB is saying, they are not unwritten methods as such but experiences and knowledge that you learn along the way. When we have sat/talked to other people and we have mentioned something they have said "Oh we didn't know you could do that" bit like on here really, we like to share. It is surprising how many new cruisers have very little idea of how things work despite the social media availability available, mind you that could actually put you off sometimes. A lot of cruise forums make the point that there is no such thing as a stupid question, however sometimes when someone starts with "I know this might sound a stupid question" We were all new once.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We were all new to everything.  A lot of inefficiency is created due to "it's always done that way so it can't be changed". 

Iona is starting that change I believe, tapping into the family market.  I know a lot of people who are now cruising who never have before and that's because a lot of the more maybe traditional aspects are relaxing.  It's bad news for some but opens up new experiences for others.

In forty years time I fully expect to be in the "it's always done that way, don't change it" category but companies will be tapping into the next forty years worth of coin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

We were all new to everything.  A lot of inefficiency is created due to "it's always done that way so it can't be changed". 

Iona is starting that change I believe, tapping into the family market.  I know a lot of people who are now cruising who never have before and that's because a lot of the more maybe traditional aspects are relaxing.  It's bad news for some but opens up new experiences for others.

In forty years time I fully expect to be in the "it's always done that way, don't change it" category but companies will be tapping into the next forty years worth of coin.

Spot on, sometimes you just have to move on, we used to say "we won't like the big ships" even before we tried them, our thoughts were based on what other like minded people were telling us. We were wrong, the bigger ships are not for everyone but they are the future of affordable cruising for the majority.

We have booked Iona for 35 nights to the Caribbean and I expect a different experience than I would two weeks during out of term time which I wouldn't go on if it was free. We don't use the speciality restaurants a lot but are looking forward to trying them on Iona and will embrace the change. 

• Like 5

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the 35 nighter Phil as we are doing it in 2025. We are booked for this New Year cruise and 2 weeks in March. Both on Iona. We know the NYE cruise will be very busy and we’ll book everything possible in advance. They say forewarned is forearmed so we will expect the lifts to be rammed and the bars to be heaving but we’ll still have a good time. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the 35 nighter Phil as we are doing it in 2025. We are booked for this New Year cruise and 2 weeks in March. Both on Iona. We know the NYE cruise will be very busy and we’ll book everything possible in advance. They say forewarned is forearmed so we will expect the lifts to be rammed and the bars to be heaving but we’ll still have a good time. 

We are on the 2025 Iona cruise so see you there. There are a few others from here on it too.

4 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

it is not just a hotel at sea IMO.

That might be your opinion, but I would suggest that an awful lot of people disagree with you, and on the newer ships likely the majority of people - not helped by Iona and Arvia looking like floating tower blocks and not ships.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 9265359 said:

That might be your opinion, but I would suggest that an awful lot of people disagree with you, and on the newer ships likely the majority of people - not helped by Iona and Arvia looking like floating tower blocks and not ships.

If you've got that view of a cruise ship then surely every cruise ship is a floating hotel?

Just that some are bigger than  others?

Just that the bigger ones have more facilities and lots more choices where to eat, drink and be entertained?

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If you've got that view of a cruise ship then surely every cruise ship is a floating hotel?

Well even the cruise companies have that view with a position of 'Hotel Director' onboard looking after 'Hotel Operations'.

9 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Well even the cruise companies have that view with a position of 'Hotel Director' onboard looking after 'Hotel Operations'.

Maybe a more accurate description would be holiday complex at sea. As with a complex on land people can stay in the complex and enjoy the facilities or go out and take tours and explore, bigger complex, usually more facilities. Complex at sea more places to explore. I am sure we all see it differently.