Beef Wellington back on menu

Rjbobalou

On 11/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, 39august said:

What ship, please?

We were on the Summit and the one of the chefs asked us about the food. My wife commented no beef wellington. He said it will be back next month. It's on the Equinox menu once again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

Please forgive me if this sounds too snarky, but it never ceases to amaze me to read the things people seem to care about when taking a cruise vacation.  

Food quality is one of the most important factors in selecting a cruise line for a lot of us. It is why I do not cruise Carnival, and why many of us prefer Celebrity over Royal. If Celebrity lets their quality slip to CCL/RCI levels, it will be off to Princess and HAL for me. From my 1 cruise each with Princess (may/june 2023) and HAL (march 2022)  since the restart, they do not appear to be suffering the same quality issues. Hopefully by my Dec Equinox cruise they figure it out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

You sound a lot like me.

LOL-- Really ???  Impossible !

Have you read "any " of my other posts ??

LOL-- I thought I'm the only person on CC who doesn't care "WHO'S the etc, etc " on a cruise 2 years from now.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Rjbobalou said:

We were on the Summit and the one of the chefs asked us about the food. My wife commented no beef wellington. He said it will be back next month. It's on the Equinox menu once again.

The better question is, will it be tenderloin or another cut

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Food quality is one of the most important factors in selecting a cruise line for a lot of us. It is why I do not cruise Carnival, and why many of us prefer Celebrity over Royal. If Celebrity lets their quality slip to CCL/RCI levels, it will be off to Princess and HAL for me. From my 1 cruise each with Princess (may/june 2023) and HAL (march 2022)  since the restart, they do not appear to be suffering the same quality issues. Hopefully by my Dec Equinox cruise they figure it out.

We did a 12 night Apex cruise in September in the Retreat and last week a 7 day cruise in the HAL Koingsdam with Club Orange. I have to say the food in the Club Orange dining room was so much better than Luminae on the Apex.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

Please forgive me if this sounds too snarky, but it never ceases to amaze me to read the things people seem to care about when taking a cruise vacation.  

Beef Wellington made with tenderloin is one of the very few classic maritime dishes that has been served in the past on all great ocean liners. So this is tradition and indeed important.😀

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Beef Wellington made with tenderloin is one of the very few classic maritime dishes that has been served in the past on all great ocean liners. So this is tradition and indeed important.😀

Noted!  I have been on many cruises and have never ordered it as far as a I can recall.  Now that I am aware...they had BETTER have it on my next cruise in February or someone will hear about it!! 😉

12 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Along with prime rib and surf and turf. Surf and Turf is no longer a traditional Fillet and a lobster tail unless you are willing to pay extra. On the Apex in Luminae it was Scallops and pork belly.

Edited by terrydtx

51 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Along with prime rib and surf and turf. Surf and Turf is no longer a traditional Fillet and a lobster tail unless you are willing to pay extra. On the Apex in Luminae it was Scallops and pork belly.

We had Fillet and lobster.  😋

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

Noted!  I have been on many cruises and have never ordered it as far as a I can recall.  Now that I am aware...they had BETTER have it on my next cruise in February or someone will hear about it!! 😉

That's THE best dish on board---- not counting the 32 yr old with the " old fart " that we, er, I stared at every time I saw them. 

I'll give 200/1 odds that she still has the Rolex he bought her and he only has the memories.

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Now Jim, how do you know what a road runner hit by a truck or Texas road kill baked in the sun tastes like?  LOL 

Yum -- looks better than what I was served but much smaller of course.   Armadillo is Yum.. LOL

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

Agree.  I was referring to absence of a specific menu item.  I am not begrudging anyone their own opinions as to what is important to them...I was just commenting that for me, it's not that important.  I wasn't seeking to offend anyone.

I understood your post. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

In general, it's really hard to gain much information from reading/listening to other people's reviews of food quality...

As an example: 1 Year ago I was on a (10 night?) Panama Canal cruise on Edge in a Sky Suite. We enjoyed every meal we had, and dined (mostly) in Luminae, but also visited Blu twice and Normandie once. We would have gone to Blu a third time when the menu looked better there vs Luminae for the evening -- but it looked really busy, and we didn't want to make it harder on them.

In any event. One night, I ordered a Veal Cheek in Luminae... and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Just after finishing it, I ended up in a conversation with the couple at the table next to us ... who complained that there wasn't anything good on the menu most nights, including that night... 

Maybe his idea of "good meal" is limited to "Filet Mignon" every night ... I don't know ... but we had something different every night and always enjoyed ourselves.

Personally ... I prefer a Ribeye to a Filet Mignon, and don't care for Lobster... If the prime choice ever night was either Filet or Lobster, I'd make do, but wouldn't be satisfied. As I said, people have different tastes.

On my previous cruise (about 2 years ago), in Aqua class, about 5 nights we had food from the Blu menu (and enjoyed it), and on the other 2 nights, we didn't find anything we liked on that menu, but did find things on the MDR menu, and enjoyed that instead...

With that said, yes, I know, things apparently changed this year. I'll see for myself in 1 month when we go on a B2B cruise totaling 28 days in Aqua class... But, looking at the menus posted to the app for the Eclipse Dec 1-7 in both Blu and MDR ... it looks like I'll be able to get something I'm happy with every night, assuming the menu is similar for my sailing (starting Dec 23). 

As a related tangent:

I've been to many high-end restaurants in my life, and the same is true there... As an example, there was a restaurant in Miami which was very expensive, and very difficult to get reservations, and the reviews were amazing ... People would post pictures to their social media about how cool every dish looked ... With that said, I went there with a large group of friends, and we literally said "We will have 2 of everything, just bring it all to the table and we will share." Got to try the entire menu... Everything looked cool, but tasted like cardboard. But, great reviews...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, someguyfl said:

I've been to many high-end restaurants in my life, and the same is true there... As an example, there was a restaurant in Miami which was very expensive, and very difficult to get reservations, and the reviews were amazing ... People would post pictures to their social media about how cool every dish looked ... With that said, I went there with a large group of friends, and we literally said "We will have 2 of everything, just bring it all to the table and we will share." Got to try the entire menu... Everything looked cool, but tasted like cardboard. But, great reviews.

Great post and insights.  I agree about the land restaurants, we have been disappointed many times when we try the new trendy local high-end ones, including a Michelline star rated one.

On 11/17/2023 at 11:01 AM, Jim_Iain said:

You of course are correct but - recently Celebrity has been packaging their En Croute as Wellington.  

Especially in Luminae they do that a lot.   Iain's pet peeve is the Guinea Hen -   It's a Cornish Hen -  anyone that has ever seen a guinea hen knows it not the same - also a Guinea Hen is the size of a Chicken.  Their meat is also slightly gamey like a pheasant.

AdobeStock_169414963-1024x807.thumb.webp.ba825adb4e21144a277c69a5a7a6a2ae.webp

Photos are worth many words (with inflation, are we at 1 million?). I understand lain's pet peeve!!

The prime rib and Beef Wellington have been outstanding on the Connie TA 

There also been roast beef in OVC for lunch probably 10 x and people have said it been outstanding also 

What was completely disappointing was the Vegetable Wellington, they have change recipe

That else has been very good has been their soups in the MDR 

We are on 8 straight seaday the staff has outstanding, or major complaints on the food 

Our friends were on a HAL cruise in September in the Med and also on this one , they llke the food and entertainment on the Connie better 

our daughter is GF and loves all the mashed potatoes on the ship 😁🤣

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1