Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The size of Luminae on E-Class is a challenge but if one is selling a individually prepared meals to order that is what should be delivered.   For that reason I have a feeling we will be avoiding E-Class and especially Ascent and newer ships.     I just don't believe they can deliver the type of service we are accustomed to on M an S class ships.     The Main Dining rooms on the other hand are setup to handle the masses and don't portend to prepare meals individually.

Jim, I agree 100%.  We did the one sailing on Edge and have not been back to E-class.  I was tempted to book another just to give the E-class another chance but too many reports from people here on CC whose, like your, opinion's I respect have expressed the same dissatisfaction.  That added with the changes to the services received in sky suites and now the move of some of our favorite wines to a new price point, above the premium package where they were when we booked has turned me away from Celebrity. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Has anyone  ever had a hot bake potato on the ship ? 🤔😁

I no longer order baked potatoes out anymore since they are never consistently hot and soft. I have now perfected making baked potatoes at home and will only have it at home, Here's the recipe and believe me, it's FOOLPROOF and a game changer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I no longer order baked potatoes out anymore since they are never consistently hot and soft. I have now perfected making baked potatoes at home and will only have it at home, Here's the recipe and believe me, it's FOOLPROOF and a game changer. 

Thumbs up to Americas Test Kitchen's techniques and recipes.  I'd also put a plug in for the Serious Eats website, which has a number of recipes from alums of ATK like Kenji Lopez-Alt, and any other source for a Kenji recipe (NYT, social, and cookbooks).  Not to turn this into a recipe thread, but those are first look sources for techniques and recipes in our household. One other source, Brian Lagerstrom on YT, and he could be a Celebrity Cruiser (he at least posed for a pic with the Lawn Club in the background).

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think you are seeing the effect of having 176 and 198 suites on the Edge and Ascent vs 66 and 50 suites on the Silhouette and Summit.

Absolutely true.  Even the staff that have been lucky enough to work in Luminae on S & M state it is a much better venue, at least the ones we have spoken with.  In fact, I know of a couple that have asked for their next contracts to be on S class ships.  I hope it works out for them.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Weelynn said:

Hi Jim. I’m interested in knowing more about the flight aware app. I can’t seem to find it in Uk I’ve found flight aware tracker but I don’t think this is it 😊

That was Terry suggesting Flight Aware. 

11 hours ago, Weelynn said:

Hey Jim. I’ve been so enthralled by your stories of cruising and phots that I’ve gone right back to the first post! Lol 😊

Oh NO.... I would hate to go back to page one.   I wish CC had a better search engine as I even find it difficult to find something I posted.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think you are seeing the effect of having 176 and 198 suites on the Edge and Ascent vs 66 and 50 suites on the Silhouette and Summit.

Definitely do.   Our next cruise is on Solstice and will be interesting to compare the experience.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Has anyone  ever had a hot bake potato on the ship ? 🤔😁

I have previously had hot ones in both Ocean View and in Luminae on past cruises.    Again I'm saying hot enough to melt butter - not steaming hot like right from the oven where you burn your fingers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

We're in an SV for our Edge cruise, do you think we'll get good views of the sounds from there/

Denise

Think you will for sure.    Especially at the falls.   The ship does a complete 180 so should get one of the closest unobstructed views.

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim, I agree 100%.  We did the one sailing on Edge and have not been back to E-class.  I was tempted to book another just to give the E-class another chance but too many reports from people here on CC whose, like your, opinion's I respect have expressed the same dissatisfaction.  That added with the changes to the services received in sky suites and now the move of some of our favorite wines to a new price point, above the premium package where they were when we booked has turned me away from Celebrity. 

I don't drink so really doesn't affect me.   We were discussing with friends last night and we concluded that it is disappointing but even if you pay an extra $1 or $2 up-charge it isn't a material amount over the total cost of the cruise.

The consensus was that Celebrity is selling a Premium Drink Package and none of the wines on the package are Premium Wines.    All of wines that Iain would drink as table wines.   Maybe we are spoiled as California residents where wine tax is only $0.20 per GALLON.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't drink so really doesn't affect me.   We were discussing with friends last night and we concluded that it is disappointing but even if you pay an extra $1 or $2 up-charge it isn't a material amount over the total cost of the cruise.

It''s not as much the money as it is the principle of the change. 

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The consensus was that Celebrity is selling a Premium Drink Package and none of the wines on the package are Premium Wines.    All of wines that Iain would drink as table wines.   Maybe we are spoiled as California residents where wine tax is only $0.20 per GALLON.

Agree.  I get the premium package expecting premium drinks to be covered and now they are not.  

I live in VA and the tax is higher but there are a dozen vineyards within a 20 mile radius of our house.  

Right now I have having an 868 Estate Altezza.  868 Vineyards is one of the closes to us. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

It''s not as much the money as it is the principle of the change. 

Yes. While the few dollars are not meaningful to me or X, it degrades the quality of the experience to be nickle and dimed after paying a high price to begin with.

"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

• Like 15

22 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I hope she is listening to the dissatisfaction with the recent changes to drink packages and repricing of wines!

She sounded like she was listening from a number of conversation that I could hear over lunch.  Most of the time she seem to tow to the Corporate Line but did say they were listening and more changes are likely as they try to fine tune the comments from "Our Most Loyal Customers" and try to return to profitability.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, billc23 said:

Yes. While the few dollars are not meaningful to me or X, it degrades the quality of the experience to be nickle and dimed after paying a high price to begin with.

"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

I agree with all of the comments and have to say we are concerned with all the negative changes as well as some of the positive changes.   With us, they lost a 100% loyal customer of 23 year.

My question to any Marketing Professional.   What is the cost to cultivate, obtain and hold a 23 Year Suit traveler.  

• Like 11

21 hours ago, CardowMD said:

you had mentioned whispering Angel earlier in the cruise. Price for bottle at Costco in Delaware, no tac!

Just checked at our local Safeway (Grocery Store) and Whispering Ange is $14.95 when purchased in a 6 pack.

Believe me I am not trying to justify RCL and Celebrity's decisions to raise prices

• Like 2

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

I agree with all of the comments and have to say we are concerned with all the negative changes as well as some of the positive changes.   With us, they lost a 100% loyal customer of 23 year.

My question to any Marketing Professional.   What is the cost to cultivate, obtain and hold a 23 Year Suit traveler.  

After browsing the Oceania CC forum the last few months, it is amazing how many Elite and higher Celebrity past Loyal members are now cruising with Oceania. We are joining them in 2025. Its like old home week in the Oceania forum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just checked at our local Safeway (Grocery Store) and Whispering Ange is $14.95 when purchased in a 6 pack.

Believe me I am not trying to justify RCL and Celebrity's decisions to raise prices

I was at my HEB grocery store this morning and the Decoy Cab was selling for $18.95 a bottle. The Cherry Pie Pino was $16.95, buy 6 and get 10% off too.  The store wine manager, who knows me, asked if I needed any of the above wines and I told her I was just price checking and how much Celebrity was charging by the glass.  She was totally blown away and said most high-end restaurants would love to be able to get away with those prices. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I was at my HEB grocery store this morning and the Decoy Cab was selling for $18.95 a bottle. The Cherry Pie Pino was $16.95, buy 6 and get 10% off too.  The store wine manager, who knows me, asked if I needed any of the above wines and I told her I was just price checking and how much Celebrity was charging by the glass.  She was totally blown away and said most high-end restaurants would love to be able to get away with those prices. 

At our local liquor store it is $35.95 

IMG_6628.thumb.png.b3c46adccaaec7eb5dd4c266d2f190da.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

She sounded like she was listening from a number of conversation that I could hear over lunch.  Most of the time she seem to tow to the Corporate Line but did say they were listening and more changes are likely as they try to fine tune the comments from "Our Most Loyal Customers" and try to return to profitability.

Did she leave the retreat area to talk with the minions 🤔😁

Has the service and food improved since she been on 🤔

It is 12/21 at 7AM and we are sitting in Sydney again.    It is starting as a grey day as we sit here sipping coffee and having a light breakfast. 

We had a wonderful farewell dinner with a friend in Luminae last night.    We were the last out of Luminae and had one of the best nights of the past month.  I must say many of the recent discussions of late were part of our discussion.

We booked an Uber to pick us up at 9:00 AM in front of the City Cruise Passenger Terminal -  for those interested the address is   110 W Circular Quay, NSW, 2000 -   The cost to Sydney Airport  is AU $52 or US $35.53.     I know they do charge a little extra to pre-book but after seeing the queue's a couple week ago though it was prudent.

On a side note.     When David and Robert departed a couple weeks ago they went to Upper W Circular Quay where there are shorter Taxi lines.    David was fuming that they charged a $15 surcharge while the airport only charges $5.    I don't know if they charge a surcharge downstairs.  

• Like 4