surfing websites results in phone call

trtog7

When I am looking for a cruise to book, I like surfing cruise lines websites to see what is offered, ports of call, available cabins etc. Sometimes this means you have to partially fill out information on a "booking".

Very often this results in phone calls from company. Tried with one company to mark my phone number as "do not call". They said they were not able to do so.

I don't give any information when doing a faux booking unless it is absolutely necessary, but if it is necessary then I will input something similar to what others have posted. Usually it isn't necessary and there is a button somewhere on the page that says "continue as guest" or something along those lines. 

On 11/20/2023 at 2:25 PM, trtog7 said:

When I am looking for a cruise to book, I like surfing cruise lines websites to see what is offered, ports of call, available cabins etc. Sometimes this means you have to partially fill out information on a "booking".

Very often this results in phone calls from company. Tried with one company to mark my phone number as "do not call". They said they were not able to do so.

Most mass market cruise lines company websites (RCCL / Celebrity / NCL, etc.) do not require you to fill out any personal information to look at ships, itineraries, and stateroom category pricing.  This is only required if you proceed to do an actual on line booking based on a cruise you have selected.

What you are likely looking at is on line travel agency websites who show the various cruise lines in their website advertising to entice you to look at them and search for different offered itineraries - not the actual cruise line corporate websites. In doing so, when you click on a given cruise line ad they request your personal information in order to have you in their data base to then call to follow up on your search to try and sell a booking.  But you are still on the travel agent website when you do this - not the cruise line website.

The best way to avoid this is to go to the actual cruise line corporate websites to search itineraries and pricing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Most mass market cruise lines company websites (RCCL / Celebrity / NCL, etc.) do not require you to fill out any personal information to look at ships, itineraries, and stateroom category pricing.  This is only required if you proceed to do an actual on line booking based on a cruise you have selected.

What you are likely looking at is on line travel agency websites who show the various cruise lines in their website advertising to entice you to look at them and search for different offered itineraries - not the actual cruise line corporate websites. In doing so, when you click on a given cruise line ad they request your personal information in order to have you in their data base to then call to follow up on your search to try and sell a booking.  But you are still on the travel agent website when you do this - not the cruise line website.

The best way to avoid this is to go to the actual cruise line corporate websites to search itineraries and pricing.

I think I am on their actual cruise line websites to get the information I want

40 minutes ago, trtog7 said:

I think I am on their actual cruise line websites to get the information I want

As indicated before, the mass market cruise line websites do not require any information from you to see ships, itineraries, or associated fares.  The only time they ask for any personal information is if you proceed to do an actual booking through them.  As example, here is the link to the Royal Caribbean corporate webiste: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships.  You can see all of the cruise option information without entering any personal data - unless you proceed to do an actual booking.

Again, If you are being asked to submit information in order to see fares, etc., then you are likely on an independent on line travel agent website that may look like a cruise line website by showing the different cruise line logos as advertising for their sites.  Clicking on those logos only takes you to those fares offered for those cruise lines by the TA where they may ask for information to proceed to fares - and not to the actual corporate websites.

Edited by leaveitallbehind