Worth it to by Invicta Watch onboard?

KKB

12 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

I have hesitated about responding to this post, but, I have to defend Invicta.

No, they are not worth it purchasing on cruise, they overprice them.

A whole lot of folks can't afford Rolex, Omega, etc.

Invicta is a good alternative !

Yes, I collect Invicta.

My opinion is do what you want and don't let others influence you !

This is exactly what I would have said. I collect Invicta, 20 +. I also will say you can own some very high quality Swiss made invictas for a very reasonable price. And no, do not buy on any cruise ship. 

I'm surprised this thread is still going.  I've bought cheap watches and nice watches and ones in between.  As long as your eyes are open to what you are buying, people should buy what they like and will wear.  I'm not an Invicta fan personally, but the variety in people's preferences is what makes life colorful.

And I wouldn't discount so quickly that a young person might want an actual watch.  There are still some that enjoy them.  Obviously, with anyone of any age, you need to know the individual when buying a gift.

To the actual question, I used to find better deals for watches on cruise ships when you consider the tax savings but I haven't lately (and the selection has gotten to be pretty poor).  I wouldn't count on the ship being the best place to buy a watch.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Watches are like rooms on cruise ships. For some an inside room is perfect, for others the PH or IC is a must have. Same for watches, some like Rolex others like Invicta. I see some calling out Invicta as cheap….. not every one has 60k for an Iconic or 20k for a Rolex. 

The OP should get the watch that makes the OP happy.

The only way to know if your getting a deal is to price what you like on board then go to Amazon or other online sites a get a price comparison at that moment in time. A few minutes online and you will know if it’s a deal or not.

Cheers

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

The retail prices on Invicta are ridiculous, which is why all the cruise lines offer up to 75% off.

The retail prices on Invicta are simply made up so that the naïve buyer thinks they are getting a bargain.  Nobody has EVER paid the "retail" price for an Invicta.    I see nothing inherently wrong with an Invicta watch.   They are generally cheap Chinese made quartz and automatic watches that typically have a very flamboyant (to be kind) design.  If you are aware of what you are buying and like the look, buy one.   Generally watch prices on a cruise ship are comparable to what you would buy on shore, I guess you aren't paying sales tax.    I bought a nice Tissot on HAL several years ago.    I saw in the the ship store but looked in a few shops on the islands and it was always just about the same price.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

't paying sales tax.    I bought a nice Tissot on HAL several years ago.    I saw in the the ship store but looked in a few shops on the islands and it was always just about the same price. 

Some people like to buy on the ship or at one of the ports because it also becomes a remembrance of their trip. Once on an Alaskan cruise I saw a hat in one of the shops in Ketchikan that I had been thinking of buying at REI. I tried it on to size it and my friend tried to convince me to buy it because I could say I bought it in Alaska. The price was 20% less at REI but to my friend that was not the point. I bought it when I got back home because I didn’t think buying a hat in Alaska made in Canada gave it more cachet than buying it in Maryland but I get the thinking. Some people like souvenirs of their trip. Makes them think of the trip. Because of that even though I bought the hat back home when I wear that hat I remember the trip because of that conversation……😀

Edited by Charles4515

I have 18 Invicta watches and follow the prices online and on TV before sailing.  The on-board watch purchase was 10 years ago on Connie, when I purchased a Bulova for $100.  The same Bulova on land was priced at $300.  

On recent cruises, I have found all of the watches are above regular retail price, and marked "___% off" to get passengers to buy them.  Ann Klein?  Yes!  Others...buyer beware. 

As stated by previous posters, watch purchases are at one's own desire and discretion.  

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 1:01 PM, coaster said:

Invicta inflates their retail price so it seems like you are getting a good deal when they are discounted. Too bulky and heavy for me anyway.  I stick to Citizen solar watches. Not too pricey and I love the dozen or so I have of them. Never have bought any of them on a cruise ship as they are cheaper online.

I’ve been buying Citizen Eco-Drive watches for years, IMHO Citizen is the best watch for the money with Seiko almost as good. Invicta watches are OK if you are looking for a decent low priced everyday time piece but some as was mentioned are too darn heavy.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 7:25 PM, TheSaxGuru said:

Just cruised onboard Carnival Sunshine and purchased an R2-D2 Invicta watch with leather band. Paid $169 tax free. I like it and Invicta’s retail site said $520 so I figured “why not?”

IMG_6562.jpeg

Do ships still match prices? They use to!

My experience: ships totally overpriced! 

I found this on another site. FYI:

SS_20231229_153121.jpg

Several years back I was up late and watching a shopping channel on Xmas eve.  The sale was for a basic Invicta dive watch normal price 199.99 but now 79.00 plus free shipping plus free gift wrap.  So I bought 2 and gave them to my two sons who were in college.  Gave them as belated Xmas gifts.  A year later the watches literally fell apart. I own several Seiko automatic watches on is 20 years old.  Still ticking.

• Like 1

None refundable OBC is a bit like Mickey Mouse money…you have to spend it on something and a watch you like is as good as anything! We have on occasions had an embarrassment of OBC and have purchased watches, iPads and other things not as bargains but as useful ways to spend $$$ we can’t take off the ship with us…

• Like 1