NCL Flights

dperki1

We are looking to book the Tahiti/Hawaiian cruise in November, and I wondered if anyone has any experience with using NCL's flights.  Are you able to upgrade you seats? And if you can upgrade, approximate cost? Also, are the flights good for layovers (not lengthy) etc. Any information on the flights for this cruise would be welcome. I am just looking for general information, I realize things will change. 

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, dperki1 said:

We are looking to book the Tahiti/Hawaiian cruise in November, and I wondered if anyone has any experience with using NCL's flights.  Are you able to upgrade you seats? And if you can upgrade, approximate cost? Also, are the flights good for layovers (not lengthy) etc. Any information on the flights for this cruise would be welcome. I am just looking for general information, I realize things will change. 

Thanks!

This topic is discussed at length on a weekly bases. The question is which type of NCL airfare are you booking, is it BOGO or one of the other ones? If it’s BOGO you could luck out but chances are it may be a unfavourable flight with lots of connections, long layovers, late nights, and/or middle seats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dperki1 said:

I wondered if anyone has any experience with using NCL's flights. 

@SoloAlaskasaid this topic is discussed on a weekly basis. I would amend that to an hourly basis.

Other than hash browns (or the lack thereof), this may be the most hotly discussed topic on the NCL board. A quick search would get you a plethora of responses that would be more valuable than a handful under one thread. 

Having said that, I doubt I would trust NCL to get me a good flight on a long haul like Tahiti.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 2

Any upgrade cost would obviously depend on when you are flying, where you to/from, and when you book. There is no flat price. It can be a few hundred dollars or a few thousand dollars…..just like any other time you upgrade on any long flight. This wouldn’t be any different.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

This topic is discussed at length on a weekly bases. The question is which type of NCL airfare are you booking, is it BOGO or one of the other ones? If it’s BOGO you could luck out but chances are it may be a unfavourable flight with lots of connections, long layovers, late nights, and/or middle seats.

Thank you for the information. I will do another search on flights for NCL on the boards. I have no idea bout BOGO or types of flights. It's probably a little early but thank you for the reply. 

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

@SoloAlaskasaid this topic is discussed on a weekly basis. I would amend that to an hourly basis.

Other than hash browns (or the lack thereof), this may be the most hotly discussed topic on the NCL board. A quick search would get you a plethora of responses that would be more valuable than a handful under one thread. 

Thank you. I will do a deeper search on the board. 

I would say NCL would come out heaps cheaper than what you can get due to the amount of airlines serving Tahiti, especially doing an open jaw flight (into one airport and out of another) if you want to upgrade once you get your flights I’d be contacting them to ge the costs. 

love to do that cruise, just wish they would make it one cruise from Australia to Hawaii. Heaps exxy with 2 and trying to get to Tahiti 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 7:09 AM, dperki1 said:

Thanks!

earlier this year, I had used BOGO for a cruise that departed Dubai.  I flew non-stop Los Angeles-Dubai ( about 17 hours).  Once I got my airline information, I logged onto the Airlines website and paid for a seat upgrade ( and any luggage fees if needed).  I even got an email offer from the airline to bid on first class upgrade ( didn't get it).  So yes, you can upgrade your seats if allowed, but you do it on the airlines website.  Airline info usually comes about 30 days before departure.

• Like 1

There are good stories and bad about NCL flights. You are at their mercy for how the flights are aligned. We had great flights from Edmonton to LA, and then from Panama City back to Edmonton. Long flights home, but that wasn't on NCL; it's just a long way to go and you have to connect through somewhere to get to Edmonton.

Here are a few things to know, though:

1) Always ask for your flights to the cruise to be booked 1-2 days in advance of embarkation day, just in case there are any delays. Two days is the maximum extension you can ask for.

2) As soon as you have your flight information (which may be only a few days before you fly), log into the websites for each airline on each leg of your trip and pay for your seat selection and luggage. Don't ask NCL for upgrades. It won't happen and you'll waste your time.

3) Have a back up plan if your flight is canceled or delayed to the point where you will miss your cruise. NCL will give a phone number to call in case of that, but they may not be able to help you in time. Be sure you have money available on a credit card to purchase your own last minute flights at the airport, and then sort out whether NCL or your insurance should reimburse you later.

4) Our rule of thumb is to only use NCL flights when they are significantly cheaper than booking our own flights. We also know the basic flight plans going from our nearest airport to other destinations. For instance, we know that any flight to the eastern U.S. or Caribbean from where we live is going to route through Toronto or Montreal - or very occasionally a northern U.S. city. This means they WILL book us on a redeye flight from Edmonton to Toronto or whichever airport it is, and leave us sitting in that airport for 4-6 hours before sending us on to our final destination. If we look up our own flights, that will always be the cheapest option. If we want a daytime flight to Toronto and an overnight layover long enough to get a good sleep in a hotel, we know we will have to book that ourselves and pay accordingly. So we balance out the cost of the NCL flights vs. the travel inconvenience to us. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

earlier this year, I had used BOGO for a cruise that departed Dubai.  I flew non-stop Los Angeles-Dubai ( about 17 hours).  Once I got my airline information, I logged onto the Airlines website and paid for a seat upgrade ( and any luggage fees if needed).  I even got an email offer from the airline to bid on first class upgrade ( didn't get it).  So yes, you can upgrade your seats if allowed, but you do it on the airlines website.  Airline info usually comes about 30 days before departure.

It varies by airline if they will allow seat choices, upgrades, etc.

19 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

There are good stories and bad about NCL flights. You are at their mercy for how the flights are aligned. We had great flights from Edmonton to LA, and then from Panama City back to Edmonton. Long flights home, but that wasn't on NCL; it's just a long way to go and you have to connect through somewhere to get to Edmonton.

Here are a few things to know, though:

1) Always ask for your flights to the cruise to be booked 1-2 days in advance of embarkation day, just in case there are any delays. Two days is the maximum extension you can ask for.

2) As soon as you have your flight information (which may be only a few days before you fly), log into the websites for each airline on each leg of your trip and pay for your seat selection and luggage. Don't ask NCL for upgrades. It won't happen and you'll waste your time.

3) Have a back up plan if your flight is canceled or delayed to the point where you will miss your cruise. NCL will give a phone number to call in case of that, but they may not be able to help you in time. Be sure you have money available on a credit card to purchase your own last minute flights at the airport, and then sort out whether NCL or your insurance should reimburse you later.

4) Our rule of thumb is to only use NCL flights when they are significantly cheaper than booking our own flights. We also know the basic flight plans going from our nearest airport to other destinations. For instance, we know that any flight to the eastern U.S. or Caribbean from where we live is going to route through Toronto or Montreal - or very occasionally a northern U.S. city. This means they WILL book us on a redeye flight from Edmonton to Toronto or whichever airport it is, and leave us sitting in that airport for 4-6 hours before sending us on to our final destination. If we look up our own flights, that will always be the cheapest option. If we want a daytime flight to Toronto and an overnight layover long enough to get a good sleep in a hotel, we know we will have to book that ourselves and pay accordingly. So we balance out the cost of the NCL flights vs. the travel inconvenience to us. 

Excellent advice, all the way around! If I remember correctly, asking for the deviation (point #1) entitles the 1st guest to a $25 deviation credit.

We are waiting to book this, the NCL BOGO is much cheaper for us, than to book flights by ourselves.  Tahiti is an expensive flight for us, from Alaska.  So price them out and consider waiting for a BOGO. Also request the 2 day variance. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Excellent advice, all the way around! If I remember correctly, asking for the deviation (point #1) entitles the 1st guest to a $25 deviation credit.

Yes, and only the first guest as they say the second guest is "free". Not quite sure what they do if there are more than 2 guests about giving a $25 deviation credit to the 3rd guest, but I think I saw on these boards once that the 3rd guest does get it.

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, and only the first guest as they say the second guest is "free". Not quite sure what they do if there are more than 2 guests about giving a $25 deviation credit to the 3rd guest, but I think I saw on these boards once that the 3rd guest does get it.

2nd, 3rd...

Considering the cost of these trips, doesn't seem to matter all that much.

On 11/25/2023 at 10:10 AM, TheDawg79 said:

Any upgrade cost would obviously depend on when you are flying, where you to/from, and when you book. 

None of that (when you fly, where you fly, and when you book) really matters...what matters is the fare code that you book and what is or is not allowed in that fare code. And, many times, the fare codes booked my cruise lines are specially negotiated with special terms/conditions that differ from those available publicly, so you may not know until you book and actually try to upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, gentlemancruiser said:

Why doesn't NCL fly from Toronto Pearson airport?    I see Ottawa & Montreal, but nothing from Toronto

From a fellow Canadian - just book your own flights and eliminate all of the NCL issues.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gentlemancruiser said:

Why doesn't NCL fly from Toronto Pearson airport?    I see Ottawa & Montreal, but nothing from Toronto

They do fly form Pearson - we have an NCL BOGO flight from Pearson in January. I know the order of the list of the NCL airports is odd .. so was a little hard to find .. but it is in the list.