BEWARE! Read this before you book with Celebrity

YukonCanadianCruiser

We were on the October 6th Apex sailing to Israel, Egypt and Turkey. Given the situation in Israel and incident in Alexandria, the Israel and Egypt portions were cancelled (I totally understand and support this decision). They were replaced with a Greek Islands cruise.

While we were on the ship, X told everyone they were “working on something” and we would receive an email from X regarding compensation after the cruise ended. Guests who were scheduled on the same itinerary the following week were offered a 100% refund as a goodwill gesture if they didn’t wish to go on the revised Greek Islands itinerary. It appeared X acknowledged the substituted ports were not comparable to the original, and they were prepared to offer the next guests options even though the contract didn’t require them to, so we expected at least something.

A week after we got home, we had not received an email, so we contacted X. We were told (on the phone and in writing) that there was no compensation being offered. Nothing. Not even a small FCC, nothing. We even emailed the executive office before writing this review because we couldn’t believe that was the final decision - they had the same message of no compensation. We are also aware that other guests emailed and called and got nowhere.

Bottom line is this: If you are considering an X cruise, know how they treat their customers. We all know what the contract says. You may be one of the lucky ones who receive a goodwill gesture from X when things go south, but you may also be unfortunate, like we were. Before you spend your money on a “better than average” cruise, you should know that once they get your money, you are nothing more than a number for them. Other cruise lines offered their customers compensation, so choose your cruise line wisely.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry your cruise itinerary was disrupted. My guess is that the difference is your cruise was already underway while the next cruise had not yet begun. I am aware of certain insurance policies that pay out for missed ports, though have never purchased such myself. You make a good case for doing so in the future. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Thanks.  Did you book your 'Future Cruise Vacation' while onboard?

We went to the Future Cruise desk to get a quote for a cruise to Japan next year. We didn’t end up booking on the ship because we expected a FCC when we got home and wanted to apply the FCC to the Japan cruise. After how Celebrity treated us, we will not be cruising with them to Japan (or anywhere else, quite frankly).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sorry your cruise itinerary was disrupted. My guess is that the difference is your cruise was already underway while the next cruise had not yet begun. I am aware of certain insurance policies that pay out for missed ports, though have never purchased such myself. Though you make a good case for doing so in the future. 

we were on an Alaskan cruise and because the ship had barnacles, causing us to sail slower, which meant less time in the ports and some excursions had to be cancelled or shortened, , everyone was issued OBC.    This was before Laura and friends took over.    

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1Vigo said:

we were on an Alaskan cruise and because the ship had barnacles, causing us to sail slower, which meant less time in the ports and some excursions had to be cancelled or shortened, , everyone was issued OBC.    This was before Laura and friends took over.    

Yeh, so much about the X product has changed. Every time I read about a missed opportunity for them to issue a gesture of good will I’m reminded that, as op said, they are in it for the money. 

• Like 4

While I do understand your disappointment at not being able to go to the ports you originally booked to see.....your cruise contract says that they have the right to cancel ports for the safety and wellbeing of the ship and passengers. ALL cruise lines have this stipulation....so it's not just X.

Did you enjoy your cruise? I can't imagine NOT....it was the Greek Island! So what I'm reading is that you are upset for not getting the cruise for free? 

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, 1Vigo said:

Offering OBC was the right thing to do - I’m glad you got that in that instance. Unfortunately, the focus on offering an exemplary customer experience is long gone with Celebrity. It’s a numbers game for them - spending extra money for a better experience with Celebrity will likely only leave you with disappointment (and a lighter wallet!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Clarify please… the cruise was ok? it was just your perception that you would receive fcc (or some other form of compensation) that is upsetting you? Please follow the multiple threads on Oceania and you will see that the Celebrity non-offer is not as draconian as you think. You might also want to check on the P&O cruise that changed from a cruise to NZ to one featuring Australia and Tasmania.

Edited by RD64
Spelling and Additional
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

While I do understand your disappointment at not being able to go to the ports you originally booked to see.....your cruise contract says that they have the right to cancel ports for the safety and wellbeing of the ship and passengers. ALL cruise lines have this stipulation....so it's not just X.

Did you enjoy your cruise? I can't imagine NOT....it was the Greek Island! So what I'm reading is that you are upset for not getting the cruise for free? 

I sure did not get the impression Yukon Canadiancruiser  was looking for a “free” cruise.   

Yes X can change the ports, but in the past their Customer service would have tried to make up for it, usually with OBC.  OP said they were told X was working on something.   You book one cruise and end up doing a totally different itinerary.  Maybe OP has been there done that with the Greek islands.    A little gesture goes along way.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I can understand OBC for shortened or cancelled excursions.....but expecting a free cruise when the area you had planned to visit is dangerous.....I'm just not seeing that. Did you expect them to go to those ports? To put you and others in danger?

Again, what I'm seeing is that you are upset that your cruise was not "free". The people on the next cruise were given the opportunity to cancel and rebook, but you were already onboard and sailing. You could not cancel, so X did the best they could which was to reroute you to another area. We see this in the Caribbean during hurricane season. They try to give you an itinerary which you might enjoy, but within certain limitations. 

I'm certainly not an X "cheerleader" as I've seen the cutbacks and am not happy, but to complain because your cruise was not free.......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It is always really nice when the cruise line offers some sort of goodwill gesture when things like this happen. And I get that you were hoping for something and disappointed in the ports you missed. 

But Celebrity didn’t start the war in Israel. You were on the ship when it broke out requiring a lot of last minute shifting to keep you all safe. They didn’t create the unrest that happens at times in Egypt. Why should they be held financially responsible when things like that happen?  

I completely understand the disappointment but I struggle with what we truly should be expecting from the cruise line when things happen beyond their control. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I'm certainly not an X "cheerleader" as I've seen the cutbacks and am not happy, but to complain because your cruise was not free.......

I read this as op merely pointing out what they did for the following cruise as a means to point out what they didn’t do for his own cruise. I’m sure op was not expecting a full refund. It seems as he was hoping for a good will gesture of obc or some sort of fcc. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

The fact that your cruise was underway when Israel was bombed on Oct 7th is the glaring difference here. Other than substitute safer ports there was very little they could do. Cut the cruise early? How much OBC would you have wanted for missed days and last minute travel expense? 

Edited by paulh84
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 1Vigo said:

I sure did not get the impression Yukon Canadiancruiser  was looking for a “free” cruise.   

Yes X can change the ports, but in the past their Customer service would have tried to make up for it, usually with OBC.  OP said they were told X was working on something.   You book one cruise and end up doing a totally different itinerary.  Maybe OP has been there done that with the Greek islands.    A little gesture goes along way.  

I DO think they were expecting 100% FCC....

"Guests who were scheduled on the same itinerary the following week were offered a 100% refund as a goodwill gesture"

We've been on cruises (with different lines) where ports have been cancelled. All we got was a refund of port charges. We were scheduled to go on a cruise which was interrupted by a hurricane. We went to totally different ports than originally scheduled. We still had a wonderful time. We went to ports we've seen before, but enjoyed the cruise and booked those ports on another cruise.

Yes, perhaps some type of compensation might have been in order.....so back to the OP.....what would you feel is appropriate given the circumstances?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I read this as op merely pointing out what they did for the following cruise as a means to point out what they didn’t do for his own cruise. I’m sure op was not expecting a full refund. It seems as he was hoping for a good will gesture of obc or some sort of fcc. 

The war broke out in the middle of OP’s cruise so they couldn’t actually do the same for OP (allow them to cancel or move the cruise date). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, prmssk said:

The war broke out in the middle of OP’s cruise so they couldn’t actually do the same for OP (allow them to cancel or move the cruise date). 

Isn’t it funny how we can all read the same thing and come up with so many different interpretations?  I took it to mean that the op was hoping for some compensation bc he felt that X themselves knew the substituted ports were less desirable than the original itinerary. Idk. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I DO think they were expecting 100% FCC....

"Guests who were scheduled on the same itinerary the following week were offered a 100% refund as a goodwill gesture"

We've been on cruises (with different lines) where ports have been cancelled. All we got was a refund of port charges. We were scheduled to go on a cruise which was interrupted by a hurricane. We went to totally different ports than originally scheduled. We still had a wonderful time. We went to ports we've seen before, but enjoyed the cruise and booked those ports on another cruise.

Yes, perhaps some type of compensation might have been in order.....so back to the OP.....what would you feel is appropriate given the circumstances?

that does not mean the passengers the following week were getting a free cruise!    they had a choice of taking a 100% refund and not cruise or go on the changed itinerary 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I can understand OBC for shortened or cancelled excursions.....but expecting a free cruise when the area you had planned to visit is dangerous.....I'm just not seeing that. Did you expect them to go to those ports? To put you and others in danger?

Again, what I'm seeing is that you are upset that your cruise was not "free". The people on the next cruise were given the opportunity to cancel and rebook, but you were already onboard and sailing. You could not cancel, so X did the best they could which was to reroute you to another area. We see this in the Caribbean during hurricane season. They try to give you an itinerary which you might enjoy, but within certain limitations. 

I certainly was not expecting a free cruise, not at all. While we were on board, senior staff indicated we would be offered compensation (a goodwill gesture, which by definition is not contractually required) from Celebrity when we got home. They did not follow through on that commitment, which is why I felt the need to warn others. I think we can all appreciate why the ports were changed and what the contract says; however, the failure of X to follow through with even a small goodwill gesture is disappointing and I felt others should know.

• Like 27

While I'm sure Senior staff are very interested in making sure you are happy, they have to do what "corporate" says is appropriate. Corporate may have had to pay additional monies to visit the Greek ports, especially last minute. Would you want to pay that additional fee and then get a "small gesture" in return?

Perhaps they would have given you something if a port day had been replaced with a sea day? I think X did the best they could on short notice and provided you with the best experience they could. Were you given more or less port days?

Again, I ask.....exactly what would you feel would be appropriate given the circumstances? What "small gesture" would make you happy?

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YukonCanadianCruiser said:

We went to the Future Cruise desk to get a quote for a cruise to Japan next year. We didn’t end up booking on the ship because we expected a FCC when we got home and wanted to apply the FCC to the Japan cruise. After how Celebrity treated us, we will not be cruising with them to Japan (or anywhere else, quite frankly).

FCCs can be applied any time before final payment. There was no need to wait on a Japan booking unless you expected your entire fare to be refunded and used to pay for your Japan cruise.

I do think you expected 100% refund and were waiting on that before booking again. You wouldn't be this upset over $100.

• Like 1

My husband and I  took a Greece Israel cruise in 2022 on another line.  I had read on Cruise Critic that in  some previous cruises to Israel, the Israel stop had been scrapped due to rocket attacks.  I knew going in that our cruise could be re-routed and told my husband that.  Fortunately, we were able to go but when booking a cruise to the Middle East, you have to know that the port situation could change.  This is quite different from when an engine malfunctions or there are barnacles on a ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1