Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Hello Mr. Sunshine! 

Here comes the sun, doo-doo-doo-doo
Here comes the sun
And I say, it's alright
Little darlin', it's been a long, cold, lonely winter…

• Like 1

Right at the Port entrance, there is the Naval Base, headquartered in a white building.  Nearby is a statue of a Naval Officer with his sword pointed to the sky!  The Headland, El Morro de Arica towers over everything!  You can’t miss the huge Chilean flag.

IMG_2856.jpeg

IMG_2858.jpeg

IMG_2859.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, pstone1 said:

As Laura said, this morning, Progressive Trivia was at 10am.

Theme Trivia (today was Big Bang Theory) was at Noon.

Afternoon Trivia is at 4pm.

Then there’s 7 o’clock Trivia.

I think it’s pretty much the same every day.

Will be interesting to see if they keep the questions fresh or if it starts to repeat at some point 🙂

30 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We got off the ship after lunch to walk around and see a few sights!  The International Andean Carnival was so much to watch!  It was easy to walk right up and get a front row position!  At one point, a nice young man came around with a stack of stools in case anyone wanted to sit!  The colorful dancers and bands are from Chile, Peru, Bolivia, and the US.  We watched for almost an hour as the groups paraded by dancing and playing their instruments!

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2765.jpeg

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg

Great pictures!  Indeed looks like you had a lot of fun.  We had lunch on the ship, then went back and forth as to taking a shuttle into town.  Looks like we missed a great time!  I did see a lot of it with the binoculars...it is still going even now!  Talked to a few that also stayed on the ship that had no idea the Carnival was going on...and was never listed in the Cruise Compass either.  Annual festival here dating years back.   

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

Great pictures!  Indeed looks like you had a lot of fun.  We had lunch on the ship, then went back and forth as to taking a shuttle into town.  Looks like we missed a great time!  I did see a lot of it with the binoculars...it is still going even now!  Talked to a few that also stayed on the ship that had no idea the Carnival was going on...and was never listed in the Cruise Compass either.  Annual festival here dating years back.   

Thanks!  I think the Carnival festivities may be three days long!  We enjoyed our walk and found everyone to be friendly and nice!

The sun was HOT today, but there was a stiff breeze most of the time.  I am hoping for that same breeze at our next few Ports!  LOL!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, island lady said:

We have a new chef, since Chef Ronald left us (though not sure if it was due to contract, or due to he had to go to the hospital...hope he is OK).   The pastry Chef must have told him how much we adored the dried fruit and nut cups....so we scored another plateful that was sent to us today.  😋

20240126_085329.jpg

Is there reason to think he had to go to the hospital?

3 hours ago, pstone1 said:

Thanks!  I think the Carnival festivities may be three days long!  We enjoyed our walk and found everyone to be friendly and nice!

The sun was HOT today, but there was a stiff breeze most of the time.  I am hoping for that same breeze at our next few Ports!  LOL!

Thank you for the great photos!   I love all the colors of the costumes.  Very festive.   Looks like a fun day😊

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you for the great photos!   I love all the colors of the costumes.  Very festive.   Looks like a fun day😊

They are still going!  It makes me smile to see how much fun they are having!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, pstone1 said:

We got off the ship after lunch to walk around and see a few sights!  The International Andean Carnival was so much to watch!  It was easy to walk right up and get a front row position!  At one point, a nice young man came around with a stack of stools in case anyone wanted to sit!  The colorful dancers and bands are from Chile, Peru, Bolivia, and the US.  We watched for almost an hour as the groups paraded by dancing and playing their instruments!

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2765.jpeg

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg

Great pictures, thank you. Sounds a fun port with the carnival being the icing on the cake 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dahirsh said:

Is there reason to think he had to go to the hospital?

He is having a bad time with his leg.  He is still in the hospital in Miami.  Always walked with an extreme limp...just got worse.  He is not a small man, which puts a lot of extra weight on that leg.  Really nice guy and hoping the best for his recovery.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pstone1 said:

They are still going!  It makes me smile to see how much fun they are having!

Yes, three full days of festival...non stop.   Now that is a party!  Will probably always be kicking myself that we did not go.  😞   Would have loved it.  

• Like 2

Found this interesting yesterday.  A large area of the end of the pier we were docked at had piles and piles of sand in several places.  I think they are exporting it.   Kind of looked like a large kitty litter box.  😉 

20240126_090023.jpg

• Haha 6

As we were pulling out to sea from Arica last night (and could still hear the festival bands from this far out), had the lights of the city in the background with the full moon coming up from behind them over the Andes.  

20240126_194220.jpg

• Like 16

Current position.  Slow crawl up to Pisco Peru, arriving tomorrow morning.  We have a tour to the Ballestas Islands there.  Boat tour of the islands that are termed as being like the Galapagos Islands.  Promises lots of wildlife.  Hopefully will still be rather calm seas, like we are having now...since those small boats can get a little bouncy.  

70-80% (or possibly more) of the ship's pax are leaving us tomorrow to then rejoin on the second day in Lima.  They are all doing the famed Machu Picchu tour, which is 3 days, 2 nights away from the ship. 

20240127_061500.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Found this interesting yesterday.  A large area of the end of the pier we were docked at had piles and piles of sand in several places.  I think they are exporting it.   Kind of looked like a large kitty litter box.  😉 

20240126_090023.jpg

You are likely correct!  Sand is turning out to be a valuable commodity, both for beach renourishment and construction concrete.  If you Google “sand wars article”, there are many interesting articles to choose from regarding this disappearing resource.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

As we were pulling out to sea from Arica last night (and could still hear the festival bands from this far out), had the lights of the city in the background with the full moon coming up from behind them over the Andes.  

20240126_194220.jpg

Beautiful moon!  We sat out watching sailaway for a long time too, in fact we missed the “Late Night” (9:30 - cracked me up) Adult Comedian who we heard was funny!  If he performs again, we’ll have to try harder to get there!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

You are likely correct!  Sand is turning out to be a valuable commodity, both for beach renourishment and construction concrete.  If you Google “sand wars article”, there are many interesting articles to choose from regarding this disappearing resource.  

With the way the surrounding area is...all rock and sand...not surprising it is an export here.   I agree, as it seems sand is needed for so many things now...and of course glass making.  

• Like 1

During breakfast in Chops this morning we were awarded to meal and a show.  🙂   Like  @pstone1, we saw a pod of large Humpback whales fairly close to the ship.  Also several giant sea turtles.  Quite the show!  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 24

38 minutes ago, island lady said:

During breakfast in Chops this morning we were awarded to meal and a show.  🙂   Like  @pstone1, we saw a pod of large Humpback whales fairly close to the ship.  Also several giant sea turtles.  Quite the show!  

So cool!  Chops must be the lucky spot for wildlife viewing!  We will likely spend most of the day today enjoying our balcony and watching the sea!  The weather today is perfect!

• Like 4

An interesting way to view Sea Lions.   I have never seen Sea Lions floating on their backs this far out to sea, and right now since early this morning, we are seeing a lot of them.  From what I have researched, though not sure this is why our surrounding Sea Lions are doing such, this is a way for them to gather heat into their flippers, which are not as insulated as their furry sides in colder water.  They seems to be pretty happy just floating along, lifting their heads to check things out and get some air.  Many of them in singles, and some in pairs.  Cannot get a good picture of them, but this is what I found online and is exactly what we are seeing floating by.

image.png.86e8a43ba8114e5727b09518a69f1838.png

Edited by island lady
  • Like 21

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Current position.  Slow crawl up to Pisco Peru, arriving tomorrow morning.  We have a tour to the Ballestas Islands there.  Boat tour of the islands that are termed as being like the Galapagos Islands.  Promises lots of wildlife.  Hopefully will still be rather calm seas, like we are having now...since those small boats can get a little bouncy.  

70-80% (or possibly more) of the ship's pax are leaving us tomorrow to then rejoin on the second day in Lima.  They are all doing the famed Machu Picchu tour, which is 3 days, 2 nights away from the ship. 

20240127_061500.jpg

The ship is going to seem empty with 80% of the guests off.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The ship is going to seem empty with 80% of the guests off.

Yup, and I think our tours scheduled for the next two days are going to be lightly attended as well.  Will be like cruising on a ghost ship...and this ship has not been totally full anyway.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup, and I think our tours scheduled for the next two days are going to be lightly attended as well.  Will be like cruising on a ghost ship...and this ship has not been totally full anyway.  

Do you have additional port stops after Pisco before you get  to Lima?

Edited by orville99