Sapphire status - perks?

LimeyUK

"dinner with the officers," pending availability and as long as there are no scheduling conflicts. that dinner, however, is often in the MDR and not a specialty restaurant

We have done "Dining with Officers" many times and we cannot remember one in a Specialty Restaurant.   The only benefit is great company, never had a dud officer (Can't say the same about some pax),    The meal is just from the normal menu (Unless the officer is very senior and wants something special!  "We have come across that once when salmon was available; not on the menu) and the wine continuous. (Great before everyone had "The Package"!!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

If you want the free bottle of wine there are still nominated specialty restaurants (I believe) but the second meal is now available at ALL.

The only restriction with the bottle of wine is that it isn’t available in certain restaurants that have a different wine menu (on Prima and Viva I believe).

Basically it is now two meals wherever you want.

2 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

You will get the 2 meals as a sapphire, dinner with the officers if you sign up and if you take the FAS you’ll get 1 meal. So that’s 3 speciality meals and dinner with officers in a main dining room. 

The number of meals for free at sea depends on cruise length and cabin type, for us it is almost always two.

12 hours ago, LimeyUK said:

Thinking of taking a 5 night cruise on the Pearl.  I am Sapphire status - how many Specialty dinners will I get?  And for which restaurants?

41 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The number of meals for free at sea depends on cruise length and cabin type, for us it is almost always two.

Yes you’re correct but they are looking at a 5 day which gives them 1 meal no matter the cabin. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

"dinner with the officers," pending availability and as long as there are no scheduling conflicts. that dinner, however, is often in the MDR and not a specialty restaurant

We have done "Dining with Officers" many times and we cannot remember one in a Specialty Restaurant.   The only benefit is great company, never had a dud officer (Can't say the same about some pax),    The meal is just from the normal menu (Unless the officer is very senior and wants something special!  "We have come across that once when salmon was available; not on the menu) and the wine continuous. (Great before everyone had "The Package"!!)

Before it was offered as a perk, you could sign up to "win" a dinner with the officers. We were fortunate enough to be able to dine with the Hotel Manager and the F&B Manager in Le Bistro. It was just us and another couple. 

It was by far the best meal I've ever had on a ship and extremely entertaining. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LimeyUK said:

Thank you for all your responses.  Also looking at the Pearl but on a 4 day cruise  - am I still entitled to 2 specialty dinners or just 1?  Thanks

There are no circumstances where you just get one meal. On a 4 day cruise it goes down to zero.

The details are all on the latitudes section of the NCL website.

Edited by KeithJenner

The only notable difference on graduating to Sapphire from Platinum was for embarkation boarding.  Sapphire gets called before Platinum.  Sailing out of NYC, that's meaningful.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

Before it was offered as a perk, you could sign up to "win" a dinner with the officers. We were fortunate enough to be able to dine with the Hotel Manager and the F&B Manager in Le Bistro. It was just us and another couple. 

It was by far the best meal I've ever had on a ship and extremely entertaining. 

They still do apparently.  Had some first time cruisers and it was kinda disappointing. Conversation was all newbie stuff - I like to get the inside scoop!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, JGmf said:

The only notable difference on graduating to Sapphire from Platinum was for embarkation boarding.  Sapphire gets called before Platinum.  Sailing out of NYC, that's meaningful.

I'm reading mixed messages on some threads about the boarding times. This is our first cruise in awhile that we are not in the Haven but still Sapphire so hoping to be on early as possible. Will we be called after the Haven? Do you get a special boarding number? I'm reading priority seating area was overflowing. Any info would help. Thanks

On 12/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, LimeyUK said:

Thinking of taking a 5 night cruise on the Pearl.  I am Sapphire status - how many Specialty dinners will I get?  And for which restaurants?

Two for your sapphire status.  If you take the Frea at Sea, one more for a total of three.

All of these are for any specialty (not haven) restaurant on the ship.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:31 PM, 2boyzmom said:

I'm reading mixed messages on some threads about the boarding times. This is our first cruise in awhile that we are not in the Haven but still Sapphire so hoping to be on early as possible. Will we be called after the Haven? Do you get a special boarding number? I'm reading priority seating area was overflowing. Any info would help. Thanks

It depends on the port you are sailing out of.

In NYC, you show up, and there are two lines. The check in line where you show your documents and get your key card, and then the line to get on the boat.  

Haven members in NYC will get shunted off to a smaller private room where they will board the boat first.

Everyone else is in a different room and you find a seat.  When you get your keycard and you move to the waiting area, you are usually given a boarding placard with a number.  The earlier you show up, the lower the number you get.  Typically, after Haven boards, they will call people that need special help boarding, and then they call by Latitude level (this can be reversed sometimes).  Once priority boarding happens, They then call out numbers and people board based on the number on their placard.

I have sailed out of NYC 9 times.  Depending on the day, you will have a wildly different experience.   Sapphire is not the highest Latitudes level, but usually they are called with Diamond, I honestly don't recall ever seeing an Ambassador.  Then they call Platinum.  Then usually Gold and Silver and Bronze.  

In NYC, the later you get there, the more the waiting room fills up and seats are hard to find.  But usually you can find something.  Showing up earlier does not lessen your wait time.  The boat has to empty before you can get on.  

When I sailed out of Vancouver it was a vastly different experience.  They had that down like clockwork.  So YMMV.

Enjoy your cruise.

5 hours ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

It depends on the port you are sailing out of.

In NYC, you show up, and there are two lines. The check in line where you show your documents and get your key card, and then the line to get on the boat.  

Haven members in NYC will get shunted off to a smaller private room where they will board the boat first.

Everyone else is in a different room and you find a seat.  When you get your keycard and you move to the waiting area, you are usually given a boarding placard with a number.  The earlier you show up, the lower the number you get.  Typically, after Haven boards, they will call people that need special help boarding, and then they call by Latitude level (this can be reversed sometimes).  Once priority boarding happens, They then call out numbers and people board based on the number on their placard.

I have sailed out of NYC 9 times.  Depending on the day, you will have a wildly different experience.   Sapphire is not the highest Latitudes level, but usually they are called with Diamond, I honestly don't recall ever seeing an Ambassador.  Then they call Platinum.  Then usually Gold and Silver and Bronze.  

In NYC, the later you get there, the more the waiting room fills up and seats are hard to find.  But usually you can find something.  Showing up earlier does not lessen your wait time.  The boat has to empty before you can get on.  

When I sailed out of Vancouver it was a vastly different experience.  They had that down like clockwork.  So YMMV.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you. Do latitudes get a different boarding number or do you have to listen ? I guess that's what i'm asking.

1 hour ago, 2boyzmom said:

Thank you. Do latitudes get a different boarding number or do you have to listen ? I guess that's what i'm asking.

When checking in with the counter person, assuming you'd be in Sapphire line, you don't need a boarding number piece of plastic thingy.  Go sit in the Sapphire and above waiting area.  After Haven,  they'll call Sapphire and above. If anyone asks, show them your recently received room key card, which clearly states your Sapphire status.  Then go enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

the waiting areas for platinum and sapphire/diamond are roped off. there is usually a contract employee nearby who will ask to see your key card (with status) before letting you into that super secret squirrel area. you’ll be exiting that roped off area the same way you entered, and then walking down to a central walkway to board the ship, so if it’s important that you be at the front of that boarding group, you’ll want to sit near where you entered.

as for boarding numbers, once the checkin agent verifies that you’re an elite latitudes member, they won’t give you a boarding number.

• Like 1

This is my Saphire cruise and was wondering if  they serve wine at the Dinner with the Officers. I don't have the Beverage Package as DH is not a drinker so I was wondering if the wine would be gratis? If so would my husband be able to get soda? 

yes, on both counts, they will serve you wine, soda, cocktails and starbucks coffee. i've never seen anybody charged. they normally have a preselected red and a white that they pour... but i've also seen people request a particular wine.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2023 at 9:44 PM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

We have done "Dining with Officers" many times and we cannot remember one in a Specialty Restaurant.  

About one third of ours have been in the main dining room, about a third have been in the secondary dining room (Aqua, Taste, or Savor), and the rest have been in either Le Bistro or Cagney’s.

• Like 1