Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

Bluewake

At the risk of sounding petty...

We just returned from a short Celebrity cruise that was wonderful in most ways other than one exception.  In four days, we encountered 6-7 situations in which we found a quiet place to relax but, within a few minutes, someone a few chairs away was on their cell phone engaging in one or more of three behaviors:  (1) talking very loudly...really loudly;  (2) using the speaker on the cell phone to hear the other party...many such exchanges seemed to involved "facetiming"; (3) watching videos on their phone with the speaker at max setting.  These were not emergencies in any way.  I know that because the entire conversation from both parties was clearly audible to everyone within a 10-20 foot radius.  And, at no time, did the party on the ship seem to be concerned that they might be bothering anyone. 

It's hard to believe we are the only cruisers who find this somewhat disturbing but I have to acknowledge the possibility that others simply aren't bothered by it.  If so, it's my problem.   However, it got me thinking.  If cruise lines can have smoking and non-smoking areas, why not have certain areas where cell phone conversations are not permitted and videos/music can only be watched with earphones?   Of course, nobody cares if someone is texting...it's the noise polution that is the issue for some of us.

So...am I being a curmudgeon and unreasonable?

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

I don't disagree with you.  In my opinion, headphones should be required in all public spaces (not just designated areas) and calls should be kept to a minimum, especially if someone is going to talk louder than they would with someone sitting right in front of them.

• Like 18

It’s a proven fact people lose all self-awareness while on a cruise ship. Phone volume, walking directly into another’s paths, lines, stampeding the elevator, DUI on scooters to name a few. 

I am petty and will match the volume of the offender who is FaceTiming or watching videos until they get the hint. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Nope - my husband stays home so it's how I stay in contact with him

I do facetime him mostly from my room I did a couple of times on Beyond in public areas (to show him the ship) BUT not when busy and I had headphones on.

I think it comes down to common sense, which unfortunately is lacking so it won't make a difference if you banned phones

Edited by Lena11033
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

It’s a proven fact people lose all self-awareness while on a cruise ship. Phone volume, walking directly into another’s paths, lines, stampeding the elevator, DUI on scooters to name a few. 

I am petty and will match the volume of the offender who is FaceTiming or watching videos until they get the hint. 

I’ve been known to join in the conversations of any loudmouths on the phone near me…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 23

1 minute ago, Lena11033 said:

Nope - my husband stays home so it's how I stay in contact with him

I do facetime him mostly from my room I did a couple of times on Beyond in public areas (to show him the ship) BUT not when busy and I had headphones on.

Nobody is suggesting you can’t stay in touch with your Husband. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

More than once on cruises and elsewhere for that matter, I have had clowns on phones walk right into me standing still.  

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

Nobody is suggesting you can’t stay in touch with your Husband. 

I've seen plenty of people on here complain about people taking phones on the ship in general.

I'm just stating I'm opposed to banning phones from certain areas because then he can't reach me in an emergency.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lena11033 said:

I've seen plenty of people on here complain about people taking phones on the ship in general.

I'm just stating I'm opposed to banning phones from certain areas because then he can't reach me in an emergency.

I read the initial post about banning the noise from cell phones not that the OP was trying to ban you from carrying your phone so that you could step away from people for a call.

• Like 9

Just now, Lena11033 said:

She suggested having areas where folks weren’t talking on their phone or playing loud music..

That said, when you’re at sea, what can you really do? How did people manage back in the day?  

• Like 5

Why do we expect people to be less rude on cruise ships than they are on land?  What the OP described is unfortunately no different than what we see on a daily basis in a coffee shop, in a mall, in airports...wherever.

We can't change the behavior of rude people...more rules likely won't work anyway.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CruisinShips said:

Why do we expect people to be less rude on cruise ships than they are on land?  What the OP described is unfortunately no different than what we see on a daily basis in a coffee shop, in a mall, in airports...wherever.

We can't change the behavior of rude people...more rules likely won't work anyway.

Here is the issue in a nutshell. ^^^

• Like 3

Just now, CruisinShips said:

Unfortunately, this is true.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the human race has lost most respect for others as well as manners. With cell phones came the worst rudeness ever!   I doubt cell free areas would ever be implemented.  Hopefully your post will remind a few that read it to be mindful!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Unfortunately the human race has lost most respect for others as well as manners. With cell phones came the worst rudeness ever!   I doubt cell free areas would ever be implemented.  Hopefully your post will remind a few that read it to be mindful!

You just beat me with your post!  People become so engrossed in their cell phones, they are oblivious to anything that is going on around them.  I have been walked into, as well, on the sidewalk, at the grocery store etc.  On a cruise ship, if someone was talking loudly, I would ask them to please turn down the volume!!!

• Like 2

Next cruise I may bring a set of my drum sticks. Next time someone is near me or on their balcony talking loud on their cell phone, especially on speaker (🤬) I 'll start drumming out In A Gadda Da Vida on any hard surface around them. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

55 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

The trouble is the cruise ships have transferred into the technology age and QR codes are displayed in the daily newspaper and the ship requires you to fill in your departure information via your phone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

The trouble is the cruise ships have transferred into the technology age and QR codes are displayed in the daily newspaper and the ship requires you to fill in your departure information via your phone.

Again, no one suggested a ban on phones.  

• Like 5