Things that once were at P & O but are now… GONE!

The list goes on. Although all these are small, they all add up. 

- Nice table settings and garlic butter on formal nights 

- boiled sweets in cabin 

- variety of drinks lined up on the bar on formal night 

- Salmon from the daily menu

- Turndown service 

- Grab and go fridge from Britannia

- Sailaway flags 

Still one of the only cruise lines that doesn’t have free ice cream round the pool! Which is crazy. 

Price point now reflects what you get. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

The list goes on. Although all these are small, they all add up. 

- Nice table settings and garlic butter on formal nights 

- boiled sweets in cabin 

- variety of drinks lined up on the bar on formal night 

- Salmon from the daily menu

- Turndown service 

- Grab and go fridge from Britannia

- Sailaway flags 

Still one of the only cruise lines that doesn’t have free ice cream round the pool! Which is crazy. 

Grab and Go has disappeared off all ships not just Britannia. Unfortunate result of COVID and also to the misuse of people when in port. Seen people loading bags up with anything they can get their hands on to take with them off the ship. With regards to the rest there is no great loss if you now compare price of cruises especially on Arvia/Iona.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

On Aurora at the moment. Went to the Captain’s welcome party. I normally drink red wine but was told that had been stopped. Only a glass of P&O bubbly or orange juice provided. Although staff are still superb there is now a feeling of being in a Premier Inn at sea.

Yes agree about the Captains party.  I only drink white or red wine, nothing sparkling, so went without.

35 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

there is now a feeling of being in a Premier Inn at sea.

But the prices are not even a fraction that Premier Inn charge!

Deduct the cost of the flights from my current cruise to the Canary Islands and they are charging £70 per night for a couple - AND that includes three or more meals a day - so deduct the cost of those and it would be like Premier Inn paying you to stay!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

But the prices are not even a fraction that Premier Inn charge!

Deduct the cost of the flights from my current cruise to the Canary Islands and they are charging £70 per night for a couple - AND that includes three or more meals a day - so deduct the cost of those and it would be like Premier Inn paying you to stay!

Wow, you’re obviously getting a better deal than me. Our cruise to Canada in September is costing £375 per night for a couple. Hhhmm, am I paying to subsidise other cruises I wonder?

20 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Wow, you’re obviously getting a better deal than me. Our cruise to Canada in September is costing £375 per night for a couple. Hhhmm, am I paying to subsidise other cruises I wonder?

No, the people buying the overpriced drinks packages (or the overpriced drinks or the overpriced internet or the overpriced spa, etc.) are the people subsidising my cruise!

5 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

No, the people buying the overpriced drinks packages (or the overpriced drinks or the overpriced internet or the overpriced spa, etc.) are the people subsidising my cruise!

Then, at the price I am paying my comment still stands, ‘there is a feeling of being in a Premier Inn at sea’

5 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Then, at the price I am paying my comment still stands, ‘there is a feeling of being in a Premier Inn at sea’

A Premier Inn price is fine for a Premier Inn, but if you choose to pay Hilton prices but book a Premier Inn… 

It goes to the other topic of why pay for a suite when you get very little extra for that huge extra cost. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glitterati said:

I do have to disagree with this

The little things that P and O (and some other cruiselines) no longer provide are nowhere near the two thirds drop in price for entry prices to cruise nowadays compared to when they were available

The drop in prices in real terms far exceeds anything that's been lost?

And the fact tips are also included now just compounds that even further

I think it's a bit unfair on P and O to suggest the value of items no longer provided comes anywhere close to the drop in prices for cruising in real terms

Have you guys seen the levels of tipping now required on other cruise lines?

NCL are now charging 20 pounds per person per day for tips. 25 pounds per person per day if you are in a suite for example!!

I genuinely believe P and O doesn't get another credit for its reduced pricing and lack of tips needed compared to the past

Instead people focus on things that used to happen that no longer do. And these things are quite insignificant in comparison IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

On Aurora at the moment. Went to the Captain’s welcome party. I normally drink red wine but was told that had been stopped. Only a glass of P&O bubbly or orange juice provided. Although staff are still superb there is now a feeling of being in a Premier Inn at sea.

Lol

Premier Inns are great. I stay in them all the time. Great quality and  relatively good value compared to normal hotels

Still more expensive than P and O though

And they don't even offer 5 per cent of the facilities P and O offer

It's a ridiculous comparison tbh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Glad you agree it’s a Premier Inn.

It is - but having stayed in many for work over the years I think Premier Inn delivers a damn good product, and a far far better product than many independent hotels.

Calling something a Premier Inn is praise, not an insult. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Lol

In what way is P and O like Premier Inn at Sea

Give a few  similarities

It's a throw away comment people make but it's ridiculous

Premier inn at sea would be travelling on a  ferry with overnight cabins

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

I consider everybody not staying  in an inside saver as subsidising my cruise

I'm very very grateful as well 

Long may that continue

A lot of them complaining about MDRs and Brodies drinks service etc

Whilst I'm dining  in Epicurean, Limelight, Beach House and drinking cocktails in 710 club and Anderson's bar every day!!

51 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The little things that P and O (and some other cruiselines) no longer provide are nowhere near the two thirds drop in price for entry prices to cruise nowadays compared to when they were available

I think it's a bit unfair on P and O to suggest the value of items no longer provided comes anywhere close to the drop in prices for cruising in real terms

NCL are now charging 20 pounds per person per day for tips. 25 pounds per person per day if you are in a suite for example!!

I genuinely believe P and O doesn't get another credit for its reduced pricing and lack of tips needed compared to the past

Instead people focus on things that used to happen that no longer do. And these things are quite insignificant in comparison IMO

We looked at a NCL, UK and Ireland 10 night cruise for this summer. £3,200 each in a standard balcony. That is a little more than P&O prices. As you say,  + a few hundred for tips. IMHO folk buy a cruise at around £200 per balcony cabin per night and compare to a premier inn. Premier Inn don't include food,or entertainment, or a balcony, or a different location. If purple is your thing and you don't mind your accommodation being in a pub carpark you know where to book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Some of the old cruising traditions are why we didn't start cruising till 2000. Way to stuffy. Where has the cheese wheel gone ?. What's that. Dinner at the Captains table..no thanks. A dish of warm veg in the middle of the table. Only one packet of biscuits...we don't eat them. To us P&O offer quite a good holiday at a decent price. Some deals on other lines do come along, so we don't cruise exclusively with P&O, nor are our holidays exclusively cruises.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We looked at a NCL, UK and Ireland 10 night cruise for this summer. £3,200 each in a standard balcony. That is a little more than P&O prices. As you say,  + a few hundred for tips. IMHO folk buy a cruise at around £200 per balcony cabin per night and compare to a premier inn. Premier Inn don't include food,or entertainment, or a balcony, or a different location. If purple is your thing and you don't mind your accommodation being in a pub carpark you know where to book.

Please take a look at the P&O website and quote me a cruise number that shows a balcony for a £100 pppn (£200 per couple). I can’t find one.

3 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Please take a look at the P&O website and quote me a cruise number that shows a balcony for a £100 pppn (£200 per couple). I can’t find one.

Ours. K409. £3200 for 2 in a decent midships balcony. Take off the £560 OBC and that's £188 per night. I did say " About ".

6 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Agree.  We always go for Select on an inside.  This time, we are paying about £80 pppn and got £520 OBC plus parking.  Pretty good deal.   Quite happy with an inside, in fact sleep really well because it's dark!