Live Music Venues for Kids?

laura85

My son will be 12 on our upcoming cruise and he loves music. He plays piano, guitar, drums and is in several bands. (No, I don't want him to be able to play on the ship, don't worry). He absolutely loves hearing live music. He would love to see a great pianist, Is he allowed to watch the piano player in Schooners, or is that 21 and over? Are all bars/lounges with live music off limits to him? What are the best places to check out live music he can watch? Pool deck? We'll be on Harmony Christmas week. 

25 minutes ago, laura85 said:

Are all bars/lounges with live music off limits to him?

On the contrary, he's welcome just about anywhere on the ship. Bars onboard aren't like bars on land.

There are exceptions, of course, but you'll have no problem taking him to the standard bars where they play live music.

Edited by OCSC Mike

Ok thanks for the info. I do know that sometimes piano bars can get...rowdy...late at night so I wouldn't bring him around then. I tried bringing him to a piano bar on NCL this past summer, but they said he was not allowed in the bar and we had to leave. He was very disappointed to miss the music!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, laura85 said:

tried bringing him to a piano bar on NCL this past summer, but they said he was not allowed in the bar and we had to leave. He was very disappointed to miss the music!

Sorry to hear that. I’ve never sailed NCL but I’m confident he’ll have a much better experience as far as access to live music goes on Royal.

1 hour ago, laura85 said:

My son will be 12 on our upcoming cruise and he loves music. He plays piano, guitar, drums and is in several bands. (No, I don't want him to be able to play on the ship, don't worry). He absolutely loves hearing live music. He would love to see a great pianist, Is he allowed to watch the piano player in Schooners, or is that 21 and over? Are all bars/lounges with live music off limits to him? What are the best places to check out live music he can watch? Pool deck? We'll be on Harmony Christmas week. 

I would love to see kids (boys!!!) listening! 

Pick closest chairs/table as some adult like to talk. 

We were on Harmony this summer with our 17 year old. He was absolutely welcome in the Schooner Bar and really enjoyed it multiple nights.

One evening, an extended family with like ten kids of all ages showed up. The piano player told them that to hang out, there must be an adult sitting with them, not the adults in the back with the kids unattended up front. But I think that was his rule, not the bar rule. I thought it was a very good rule to have! 

27 minutes ago, laura85 said:

Well this sounds really great! My son - and our entire family- will be thrilled to listen to music together. I love the Schooner Bar, and hope the player is good on Harmony in a couple weeks!

Teen curfew is 1am and under adult supervision they can go to all the venues but not take up space at the bar . The comedy will have a 18 or adult recommendation as to the content . Hope you enjoy your cruise.

22 hours ago, laura85 said:

The Music Hall has live music every night, our 12 yo granddaughter spent many hours every night listening to music.  She always sat upstairs just above the stage. It was actually Dazzles on Allure, but almost the same. 

15 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

The Music Hall has live music every night, our 12 yo granddaughter spent many hours every night listening to music.  She always sat upstairs just above the stage. It was actually Dazzles on Allure, but almost the same. 

Agreed...my 11 yr old loved hanging in Music hall with us at the end of the nights, we stayed upstairs so it wasn't as crowded and we would play some pool and grab a few mocktails from the bar.