Live: Dec 22 2023 Solstice 12 Night Thailand & Vietnam Holiday Cruise!

mahdnc

6 hours ago, vickykay said:

Hi David,

Looking forward to another wonderful review.  Can’t wait to follow along.

Have a great cruise!

Hello again, Vicky. I trust you and Terry are doing well. 

David

This will be the longest flight that we’ve ever taken so far. It has our flights to Sydney from Chicago beat.  Our flight schedule calls for 17.5 hr flight time. While we were in the plane but still at the gate, the captain said the flight should be over one hour shorter (yay) but we have to burn some of that time by delaying our departure because we “won’t be allowed to arrive that early” (boo). 

I just woke up about an hour ago. I think I slept for five hours. When I woke up, I instinctively wanted to know what time it was. But local time has very little meaning right now. I don’t even know what time zone we are in. Neither does my iPhone nor my Apple Watch. 

Our plane is close to Guam right now. 

IMG_1824.thumb.jpeg.394e72d855036e5637bf017020fa08b2.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vickykay said:

Yes, both fine.  Next cruise on the Ascent but not until Sept so living vicariously thru all the live reviews.

Good to hear that you guys are well and doing a sailing on that brand new baby!  You both must be excited about that. 

41 minutes ago, desibee said:

If you aren't too wiped from the flight, the Jewel at Singapore Airport is well worth the visit.

Thanks for mentioning it, but we missed it which is too bad.  The good news is that SIN is set up real well to get arrivals out the door efficiently.  The bad news was once we got our bags, there was the taxi stand and away we went.    

I am aware that SIN has garnered awards as the top airport in the world (here is an example).  And when we got lined up to get off the plane, I warned my wife that we might make a detour or delay our exiting of the airport to some of the attractions.  But I was not very well prepared in terms of knowing where the attractions were because I assumed that some of the impressive design features of the airport would be there to welcome world visitors flying into Singapore.  I was wrong!

Here was our arrival schedule this morning:

We landed at 8:00 am local time.  This was right on schedule so I don't understand what the pilot was talking about in San Francisco when told us that we would arrive much earlier.

IMG_1870.thumb.jpeg.7b8423a29ebe4d35869d08aecb2a5843.jpeg

There was a fairly long walk to custom and immigration.  We arrived there at approximately 8:15 am.

As I mentioned in my previous post, customs and immigration was a painless affair as it was all automated (means you won't get your passport stamped though).

It took us a while to collect our 3 checked suitcases at baggage claim and we manage to cram those suitcases, our carryon bags, and ourselves into a taxi sedan at 8:53 am

We got to the JW Marriott at 9:11 am. The fare was $25.93 SGD ($1 SGD = $0.75 USD) and it was payable by ApplePay.

Untitled-565.thumb.jpeg.68b59781d15c029a61f0762f3527d413.jpeg

When we got to the front desk, we were told our room was not ready which was understandable (photo below). 

Untitled-566.thumb.jpeg.b336677be7d7c545b67520ed76923ad4.jpeg

The hotel does not have any day rooms or a formal early arrival lounge like we saw with the Marriott hotel in Sydney.  However we were told that we could use the showers in the locker rooms on the 18th floor where the swimming pool was located.  Since my wife is a lifetime Platinum Elite member with Marriott, we were also able to go to the Executive Lounge to wait for our room and also have a nice breakfast which we did.At 10:10 am, the Executive Lounge host told us our room was ready and gave us our keys.

• Like 5

AAEC8B57-0B67-43DA-A246-E57E460A3718.thumb.jpeg.4b78cd168e9304a43de82b0986f28934.jpeg

We booked a 1 King Bed, Premier Guest Room which is one step above their lowest category room (which is smaller).  We used Marriott points to book our 5 night stay there (if you book 4 consecutive nights with points, you get a 5th night free).

About a year ago, Marriott switched from a fixed award schedule to a dynamic pricing model.  This meant that the number of points needed for a given room on a give date could rise and fall with time depending on supply and demand.  The overall affect was an increase in how many points were needed for a room (aka devaluation of  Marriott points).  When I first booked the room back in Jan 2023, it cost 207,000 points to get our 5 nights at the JW Marriott.  However the award pricing slowly declined over time and I was able to modify the reservation to get the lower rate several times this year.  In fact when we were waiting at the gate at San Francisco for our flight to Singapore, the priced declined to 168,000 points.  So while I was waiting for our flight, I was able to secure that rate.

Before our room was assigned by the front desk agent, I asked if she could get us a room with a view of the Marina Bay Sands Hotel which would also afford us a view of the cruise pier.  She was able to get us a room on the 20th floor .  The view is very nice and I can see two cruise ships from our room: Norwegian Jewel (docked) and Genting Dream (getting ready to dock).

0E44D41E-51B6-46E5-B6F1-DBC093FCBE6A.thumb.jpeg.dc25b732eba8e971207c52ba5bb29d70.jpeg

Below is a poor telephoto view of the cruise ships and the pier.  Hopefully I will have a better picture of. it later--maybe with Solstice in it.

C1710E98-15F7-49E5-BAEA-659A95DE2D28.thumb.jpeg.21a55f8572164f30a135418a06aee39e.jpeg

Our room is pretty nice.  It is a bit compact, with high tech touches such as a motorized shade and light controls--neither one I have yet to master.

A77F8AB9-CD92-4BF4-ACE2-DE2ADB7CDD27.thumb.jpeg.21e66b7c4d6f84890c5c0cb35a6ce980.jpeg

There is no room for a small couch or a cushioned chair, just this metal rocking chair (at the left in the photo below).

D4EBCC00-5E68-43AE-981C-490F771F5B56.thumb.jpeg.a909f6add8b758f1d02c56385731e159.jpeg

Very importantly are these electrical outlets placed on either side of the king bed.  All of my electronics are now powered by the more modern day USB-C connections.  We have the old style USB connections by our bed.  We will live.

A982C57B-4CE1-44A9-ABA2-1780F5F41151.thumb.jpeg.19e41597cd951bd59d17f5312c376e7b.jpeg

CE0C80D4-23AD-4363-AFD0-1AD76AC9A853_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6a6d354d0f80a4dc004295ffdb767bd4.jpeg

The bathroom is nice.  Not visible in the photo below is the walk in shower (to the left of the photo) and the water closet (also left of the photograph and not visible).  The toilet also has been gadget-ized and we are learning how to control it and how to use it for good and not for evil.

45392B5B-54F9-4272-B89E-9FF5A69ED115_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d5acca1bc89d88de393e015059a79eda.jpeg

It's 1 pm here and my wife and I were able to relax and get our bodies recharged.  I think we are going to venture out.....

• Like 7

So pleased to be following your trip from the start, here. We’re doing this cruise in reverse on 27th Jan 2024 (in 5 weeks!!). Like you we’d booked Millie in 2019 for Feb 2020, to celebrate my 60th birthday. Now it’ll be closer to my retirement!! Back in 2020 we were cancelled 2 days before flying out to HK! It’s been a long wait since!! 

• Like 1

We are on the same Singapore to Hong Kong Solstice cruise, but the later one departing Singapore on 15 January. Like you we booked the cruise a few years ago and waited patiently as it was delayed by covid etc.

We live in Perth, Western Australia, and it's just a five hour direct flight to Singapore, so we will take the morning flight up on the day and join the ship around 1pm. We have done that on a previous Celebrity cruise departing Singapore just before covid.

Anyway, look forward to following your thread and learning of your onboard experiences in particular.

• Like 1

We did something very light and introductory during our first day here in Singapore.  We visited Marina Bay Sands and went through its high priced shopping mall.  Of course the mall was all decked out for Christmas:

image.thumb.jpeg.43fb80fed229b1143351b33775f3a5f8.jpeg

The mall is very nice inside and most of the stores were fashion stores like Versace, Gucci, Dior, Hermes, Burberry, etc.

There was a very nice tea store there named TWG Tea.

image.thumb.jpeg.5627e75363a91837d727fafd92a1a3fd.jpeg

TWG Tea had a separate restaurant out in the open area of the mall that served high tea among other things:

image.thumb.jpeg.a9f19e1d16a335f2f04f77d4ca144bb6.jpeg

The second floor of the Apple Store there had very impressive architecture.  It was encased in a large glass sphere.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6357c10d00a79b075721833fbca0933.jpeg

Apple's showroom floor had spectacular views that the photograph below does not convey very well.

image.thumb.jpeg.8815a943fdfb4ef05965bbe56da940bc.jpeg

There were a lot of circular design and architectural elements throughout the shopping mall.

image.thumb.jpeg.8265967e2585f2989f02a3f001234bff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e03d457612cbb2a10ed79ebbf41e53c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.08603b4bae010c9c3b65a73761559476.jpeg

36225385-5FD1-464F-AF97-80079182F2F5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cc9022552b06193498f3335a9943faa9.jpeg

• Like 9

How were the marathon flights?  Would you flight it all at once again?

Have you tried the Grab app for transport?  If so how does it work?

How much are electronics at the Apple store?  More or less than in US?

I can't show my DW the shopping pictures😁  She will want to go shopping all day.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We have and we probably will again - we are on the same cruise. 
it works just the same as uber… you use the app to choose where you want to go. You’ll see what’s available. Then you book your ride. Pretty simple.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Awesome photos of Marina Sands. Did you take the metro or use a taxi? It looks like there is a metro stop adjacent to the mall.

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

IMG_1970.thumb.jpeg.8353ae6c1fc763d17e577f456df6dd0f.jpeg

We looked into our options to get to Marina Bay Sands (MBS) from our hotel, the JW Marriott (JWM), which wasn’t far away. 

Walking was free and would have taken 30 minutes according to Google Maps. We seriously considered this but we were running on energy reserves after our 17.5 hour flight from SFO earlier in the day. 

We talked to the hotel concierge about Singapore’s Mass Raid Transit system (MRT) and our desire to get to MBS. We were told that there were MRT stations close to both the hotel and MBS although we would have to take two connecting subways to get there. The cost would be about $2 SGD per person at the most. However Google Maps app estimated that it would take a little under 30 minutes which was about the same as walking. The hotel concierge also said that a great deal of the ride there (or maybe it was the subway in general) was viewless because it’s underground.  To me that was a big drawback from a sightseeing standpoint so we began looking at car options. 

A car ride would take about 6-8 minutes according to Google Maps. We ended up using Grab to get to MBS which cost us $9.50 SGD.  The app worked well and the use of the app is similar to the user experience with Uber in the USA. The only problem I had was getting the app set up with my credit card. It didn’t like my two Chase Visa cards even after multiple attempts but I got it to take my MasterCard. 

IMG_1971.thumb.jpeg.601c4620b003ff227a1de34d88c723aa.jpeg

We didn’t use Grab to get back to the JWM because I wasn’t 100% certain as to where the pickup point was at the large MBS complex (it looked like it wasn’t the same place we got dropped off) so we took a taxi which cost $12.52 SGD and we had an interesting driver with whom we talked about Singaporean politics and his daughter’s upcoming wedding in Hawaii which he will not be able to make the trip there. 

You_Doodle_2023-12-17T18_05_48Z.thumb.jpeg.fc3052c80870c6c2d7daf069add5c055.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We were in Singapore last year at this time for the start of a holiday cruise to Malaysia.  Highlights not to be missed are:

Gardens By the Bay - both during the day and at night, also the food in Satay By the Bay is quite good.  Last year there was a pretty extensive Christmas Village at the Gardens By the Bay as well.  Not sure if they are doing it again this year?

Don't miss the fountain show Spectra by the Marina Bay Sands.

The Botanical Gardens and especially the Orchids are a must see.

Go to at least one food market (hawker center), we went to Lau Pa Sat but probably should have gone earlier in the day.  Most things were sold out by the time we got there after sunset.  I hear Maxwell in China Town is a great hawker center but we never got there.

For the love of all that is holy, get you some Hokkaido Milk Ice Cream.  We got some at Suntec City and also at Lau Pa Sat.  

Go to Haw Par Villa to see the Chinese folklore statues!  It's free and directly on an MRT line.  It costs a little extra money to go to Hell (you'll see what I mean) but it's worth it.

Try some Hainese Chicken Rice.

Edited by desibee
  • Like 2

Our favorite Hawkers are Albert Center and People’s Park Complex. Not touristy and it’s where some Singaporian friends go with their families. 
We also like Makansutra Gluttons Bay… try the Coffee Pork.

Lau Pa Sat is nice but too touristy for us.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

How were the marathon flights?  Would you flight it all at once again?

How much are electronics at the Apple store?  More or less than in US?

I can't show my DW the shopping pictures😁  She will want to go shopping all day.

The marathon flights were ok and we would do it again. However we did book Premium Economy seats for the long over-the-water SFO-SIN flight at a whopping 100,000 points per person (was 60,000 points before Covid).  The seats are similar to domestic first class (wide seats with lots of legroom but don’t lay flat) and that helped.

We have a Transpacific cruise out of Sydney planned for Apr 2025 and we may have to do it in economy class the whole way. 

Two weeks ago my wife bought her recently widowed father a new Apple Watch Series 9 for $399 USD before tax at Best Buy. He wanted it for safety reasons (like if he falls down and needs to send out a distress call since he now lives alone). 

So while at the architecturally impressive Apple Store yesterday, she priced the same model with the same specs for $599 SGD before tax which is equivalent to $450 USD. 

Yes, be careful if you bring your wife to this shopping mall. The formal name of this retail center has the word “shops” in it but it’s spelled with an extra “p” and an “e” as in “shoppes” which tells you that it’s an expensive place that can afford those extra letters. It has a Las Vegas feel to it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4c144e944caf906ff9de89d130477c42.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What is tipping like in Singapore?  What is a customary amount for dinner and for transportation?

From what I have read and observed in my less than 24 hours here in Singapore is that there is no tipping in general.  For example, there was no obvious option to tip the Grab (via the app) and taxi drivers (Apple Pay) and nothing so far here at the hotel.

We have not eaten at a restaurant in Singapore yet as we have been eating at the executive lounge here at the JW Marriott out of convenience and getting our bodies adjusted to the new time.  That will obviously change because it was not our intention to experience Singapore food through the hotel's executive lounge.

image.thumb.jpeg.4ec9e6316dbfbc18e056366446d99e66.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1