QM2 voyage M338 - 15 December 2023 - 7 nights - Westbound Transatlantic Crossing - reports onboard

Pushpit

5 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Anyone know if we can try to slope off earlier in New York and get the ferry to Wall St?

We did on our visit on 8th December.  We were off the ship by 7.40am but next ferry wasn’t till 8.20am.  We were asked if we were on a tour and just replied that we had a private tour booked - no problem and we were through the terminal/security in 10 minutes.  We walked to Bowling Green subway (10 minutes) lines 4 and 5, straight to 59th St by 9am.

5 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Anyone know if we can try to slope off earlier in New York and get the ferry to Wall St?

Check the schedule here, on weekends for example the ferry service is hourly with first departure from Red Hook towards Wall Street at 0930.

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Thursday 21 December 2023 lunch update 12:30 hrs GMT-4 but written up a bit later

Location: At sea, off Cape Cod, Georges Bank,  41.2801, -67.2838

23 knots, direction 233°

Force 8 winds NNW, rough seas

image.thumb.png.a6ef12c05c552608c2d74c34a83d394c.png

image.thumb.jpeg.05240777671b124699903999768f75b2.jpeg

Actually I think we are a bit down now from Force 8, probably Force 6 or 7 at an amateur's guess, given the current speed and the fact that they have re-opened the outside decks. When a few hours ago it was definitely Force 10 we were travelling below 18 knots. So it has calmed down a lot and the weather is set to just improve further, not least for those continuing southwards from NYC on QM2.

At midday it was Force 8, with waves around 6 to 7 metres, down from 9-10 metres mid morning. Nova Scotia is the nearest land 123 nautical miles away, Cape Cod 140 nm, Nantucket 143 nm. We have travelled now 2840 nm since Southampton, with just 366 nm to New York.

Lots of depressing leaflets about disembarkation at Brooklyn have arrived, I will publish them after I've disembarked, and I'll keep a note of timings. I'm an independent traveller in this context, just one bag (since I'm flying straight home to the UK) and I won't need to entrust my baggage to the stevedores of Brooklyn. I've been given a time of 10:10 hrs, direct from my stateroom, my flight isn't until nearly 19:00 hrs from JFK so I'm in no hurry.

Lunch menus

image.thumb.jpeg.af0a5621d2d96d1d929e065f58060f34.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d599ca45f4cb6e423711340e361de9f5.jpeg

I had the soup and then the pie.

image.thumb.jpeg.82681d70af3624ce796c9a49966383d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9b212509db4290a2aa42a4a34e65f24e.jpeg

And then to round off, the bread and butter pudding (not that it had much resemblance to the real thing). Plus some ice cream.

image.thumb.jpeg.a321742301c8ac5cf672c6d748a5669f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Thursday 21 December 2023 morning update 10:00 hrs GMT-4

Location: At sea, off Nova Scotia Cape Sable, Georges Bank,  41.9860, -65.8711

17.6 knots, direction 237° 

Force 9 - 10 winds SE, very rough seas.

==

Just a quick update, but the captain has made a rare all-ship broadcast at 09:15 to say that the weather was at the top end, perhaps slightly worse, than the forecast. So he asked us all the take extra care moving around, particularly on stairwells and to also watch out for any items loose in the stateroom. And yes we are rolling around more than I have experienced before on QM2 (including the Hamburg storm earlier this year), and a few things have slid off table tops during the night. The ship's anemometer has also gone kaput and I don't suppose there's much appetite to get it repaired at the moment. Indoors, the rolling comes and goes a bit but there's quite a big movement to and fro every 5 seconds or so. We are about 100 statute miles south of Cape Sable on Nova Scotia. This is the peak of the storm, it should ease off with a calm, cold but sunny arrival expected into New York.

I was in Sir Samuel's - and the seas were quite high and violent - when the early announcement chimes came, and several of us looked at each other with (mild) concern. When the captain announced the anemomenter had failed the woman at the next table and I just started laughing and I said, "Don't TELL us that!". Later, the captain's noon announcement mentioned the Pilgrim crossing and I said to a nearby women, "Imagine crossing this in a wooden 100-foot sailing ship". She said, "I'm Irish. We ROWED it."

Edited by TouchstoneFeste
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I tried bread and butter pudding on QM2 made with bread and butter. I can't think where else I would have tried it. I didn't particularly enjoy it.

We've only had it with brioche or fruit panettone and thick cream, and we've made the panettone version a few times. Croissant based might suit my tastes as well.

Bread and butter seems a bit like school dinners. I've never had one of them either, always went home for lunch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

Lots of depressing leaflets about disembarkation at Brooklyn have arrived, I will publish them after I've disembarked, and I'll keep a note of timings.

I predict it will be its customary zoo, with passports scrutinized and scanned (and whatever other poking and prodding C&BP does to foreign visitors these days). It's only on the return from the Caribbean in two weeks that the agents will breathe easier.

Thursday 21 December 2023 evening update 22:00 hrs GMT-4 but written up a bit later

23.1 knots, direction 271°

Force 6 winds N, moderate

==

Much calmer now, just the odd quiver now. But it's very cold outside, clear skies.

Dinner, starting with the menus.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8fbc3d6969b611286330d92a78c42c6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bda30706de2f0eeb10af2793446b4608.jpeg

The Mackerel Teriyaki

image.thumb.jpeg.5898c0aba63f48fb620c1501ce3c7d18.jpeg

The Tomato Basil Salad

image.thumb.jpeg.ed89e30954da14ddc13f9a4e94465187.jpeg

Butternut squash soup

image.thumb.jpeg.405774b20fd877c97aef84080ecaf9fe.jpeg

Roast chicken

image.thumb.jpeg.f551d2889f46369a56e21cd9a2297a8f.jpeg

Lemon Drizzle Pudding

image.thumb.jpeg.a3e170b394d1199a6704e749c338dfdd.jpeg

And to finish, tonight's petit fours:

image.thumb.jpeg.60da28671318f6c2ccccea4c3a199977.jpeg

We disembark in Brooklyn tomorrow, I am not sure how the day will work out, so any updates may be delayed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for this running commentary, @Pushpit. I am excited to be boarding QM2 in Fremantle in 57 days (who's counting!) We had three lovely nights on QE pre-pandemic and I was hooked. It's been really interesting and helpful to read the daily programme and menus, and actually see your dining choices.  I do have one concern regarding our upcoming voyage: how on earth do I NOT gain 20kg on our ten-night cruise? The food looks fabulous. Real hints appreciated, this is not a rhetorical question! Thank you once again, also to all the other contributors.

50 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

I do have one concern regarding our upcoming voyage: how on earth do I NOT gain 20kg on our ten-night cruise? The food looks fabulous. Real hints appreciated, this is not a rhetorical question!

My dilemma also!  The only things that work for me:

1.  I try to board a few kilos light, to have a chance to come out even at the end..

2.  I use stairs instead of lifts all the time, and roam the decks in the early mornings and before dinner when the ship is quiet.  I'm not much of a gym person, so these activities are my exercise.  In the mornings, I typically have the ship mostly to myself (Mrs sfred likes to sleep in) and it is very enjoyable  to watch the sunrise outside with a coffee. 

3.  I limit myself to only having desserts that catch fire.  Baked Alaska, Cherries Jubilee, Crepes Suzette, etc.  This cuts out dessert most nights, but then the occasion of the flambes, typically on formal nights, makes for a special treat.

4.  Both the Mrs and I love really long walks on port days, particularly at places we haven't been to before.  Although I admit we then offset the walks at lunch to sample the local cuisine and spirits.  But hey, we're on holiday!

We had 36 nights on QE recently, and I managed to disembark at my usual displacement.  Good luck - best wishes for your QM2 voyage!

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maggielou362 said:

... I do have one concern regarding our upcoming voyage: how on earth do I NOT gain 20kg on our ten-night cruise? The food looks fabulous. Real hints appreciated, this is not a rhetorical question! Thank you once again, also to all the other contributors.

Ha! If I ate as some do, I would put on half a stone on a two weeker. That's my reality. So I make sure I don't. 🙂 It's doubly hard when your partner can eat whatever they like, whenever they like and not put on weight. Grrrrr.

From the start of Pushpit 's wonderful diary, I wondered how on earth all that food could be consumed at each meal. I looked at the great food photos and  my own thoughts were, no way ☹️.  A bit like a great thread a few weeks ago. I really would have needed assistance off the ship. Not a wheelchair, a wheelbarrow!

We all have different metabolisms and whilst I put on weight just by looking at a cream cake, by being careful but still not stinting, it’s limited to an lb or two on Cunard. It's a case of knowing our own weight issues and sadly some of us have more need  to watch what we eat than others as it's so easy to pile the lbs on but hard to get them off.

No afternoon tea other than a cup of; no more than three courses for dinner and a one course salad of my own dictate for lunch, often with sushi.

No bread with meals other than toast; no puddings at all other than the occasional  Crepes Suzette and occasional small amounts of cheese.

No meals with sauces, no dressings on salads [which I usually have every day for lunch ] side salads for dinner on occasions; no potatoes apart from the treat of fries but I do limit them. You get the drift. 🙂

The food is so varied and tasty, it's easy and whilst I admit, I can dictate what I want every day, similar can be sorted which ever restaurant one dines in and it's why I love The Lido at lunchtime occasionally as I can pick and mix my salad fixings there and then without the need to pre order for upstairs.
I try and fit in a mile or two a day around deck three on QV but it’s not always feasible so on those days, I pop into the gym.

On our five/six week plus cruises pre Covid, I reckoned I got away with a two or three  lb gain, max. On a two weeker, however much I might think I've piled it on, the reality is one or two lbs.

Alcohol also plays its part but I'm not giving that up. I'm on holiday! 😄

Do I find it hard? No. It's dead easy. 👍

Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sfred said:

... I limit myself to only having desserts that catch fire...

Love that, good tip but I love my desserts. Like @Winifred 22 mentioned previously with her two serves of lemon souffle, I can imagine I will be unable to resist.

All the other tips are also great, I will try them all, and also stumble my way around the dance floor as much as possible. Well done for spending five weeks on board QE and being able to disembark without having to wear stretch "leisurewear". I especially like the reminder that it's a holiday.  

Thanks, @Victoria2, I think you understand my dilemma, given the great advice you have provided. My body is very efficient at storing excess energy 😉

I also looked at the photos of multiple course meals and thought "how deliciously decadent". Much as I would love to indulge in five course dinners every night, I would be in the wheelbarrow behind you, or maybe even needing the stevedores to deploy one of their cranes. Anyway, I will take all these tips on board (including the idea of NOT giving up alcohol🥂on a holiday) It's a very special and much anticipated holiday. Everything in moderation, INCLUDING moderation!

7 minutes ago, maggielou362 said:

Thanks, @Victoria2, I think you understand my dilemma, given the great advice you have provided. My body is very efficient at storing excess energy 😉

I also looked at the photos of multiple course meals and thought "how deliciously decadent". Much as I would love to indulge in five course dinners every night, I would be in the wheelbarrow behind you, or maybe even needing the stevedores to deploy one of their cranes. Anyway, I will take all these tips on board (including the idea of NOT giving up alcohol🥂on a holiday) It's a very special and much anticipated holiday. Everything in moderation, INCLUDING moderation!

If you like sushi, head for the Lido if you can't get it in the restaurant. There the 'seaweed' and pickled ginger make great tangy additions to a salad. Add finely sliced smoked salmon or carpaccio  if available and you have a fabulous lunch, or occasionally a dinner entree for me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

I do have one concern regarding our upcoming voyage: how on earth do I NOT gain 20kg on our ten-night cruise? The food looks fabulous. Real hints appreciated, this is not a rhetorical question!

We only used lifts on embarkation/disembarkation to get to and from deck 12 as we have 10kg+ backpacks and a small bag each. We need to fly to Heathrow so wouldn't risk luggage being lost and not having everything we needed on boarding. Otherwise we walk down and up 10 decks 5 or 6 times a day. We did over an hour in gym each day in first week but cut that to every second day after that as we were losing weight. We have a one plate breakfast plus yoghurt. We rarely have more than two courses at lunch or dinner but have sliced orange after lunch. At home we just peel and eat but Cunard insist on presentation which annoys me a bit as I get upset about food waste.

We do have wine with lunch and then pre-dinner drinks, dinner and evening finishing with Grand Marnier before doing the last 9 floor climb.

Having as long a fasting period each day helps too. Breakfast as late as possible and dine early. Here we often finish eating by 4pm. That was the biggest element in my wife dropping from a size 18 at 103.3 kg to a 10 to 12 between 69 and 72 kg in just over a year. We've both been just above midpoint in our healthy BMI range for nearly two years.

• Thanks 1

@D&N, that's fantastic, well done both of you. It can be so difficult for some of us to maintain a healthy weight. So, looks like movement is the key.  No lifts (elevators), keep walking, dancing, swimming, gym, all of which I am happy to do. I really DON'T want to deprive myself as I have looked forward to this special voyage for so long. My plan will be to move, move, move. Thank you for your advice.

• Like 1

Friday 22 December 2023 morning 08:00 hrs GMT-5

Light winds, sunny, but cold (a bit below freezing).

==

image.thumb.jpeg.0fb00de03ebb1915574b477633d58ca3.jpeg

Unfortunately, we arrived. 

It's the usual crawl under that bridge and turn into Red Hook. I hadn't appreciated that when daylight arrives, the starboard side gets the best view, even though the port side gets the view during the arrival process. Very sunny, but very sharp, and they have put grit down - there's quite a few icy patches on deck at the moment.

Breakfast on the final day is a slightly reduced menu - see post 9 for the usual menu, but on disembarkation days we get this version instead.

image.thumb.jpeg.ade210439334c2764d79b0e1790259f2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.47d56fb5ec7af4b779411cf0a416b491.jpeg

Today I had the muesli, the salmon (for which you can ask for a bagel) and the Get Up and Go.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f7549b18093cf1108283acac9d5f119.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a5972c083a12303844fa6d15d4b0d72e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f0ec8c2579d8fe5021ace66554ad7b88.jpeg

==

This will be the last trip update from onboard, I will do at least one more post on the disembarkation process. I don't have a transfer booked, and I'm able to self-disembark with one bag and one shoulder bag. But thank you for all the kind words and for travelling along, even if vicariously.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, maggielou362 said:

@D&N, that's fantastic, well done both of you. It can be so difficult for some of us to maintain a healthy weight. So, looks like movement is the key.  No lifts (elevators), keep walking, dancing, swimming, gym, all of which I am happy to do. I really DON'T want to deprive myself as I have looked forward to this special voyage for so long. My plan will be to move, move, move. Thank you for your advice.

And one thing to comfort yourself with. When you get home, and go back to eating normally, or with a little more restraint than usual perhaps, the weight does seem to return to normal surprisingly quickly. I never weigh myself, but one can tell quite accurately from the skirt test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And one thing to comfort yourself with. When you get home, and go back to eating normally, or with a little more restraint than usual perhaps, the weight does seem to return to normal surprisingly quickly. I never weigh myself, but one can tell quite accurately from the skirt test.

Or, whisper it, skinny jeans! 😄

Pushpit, thank you. It's been a real treat reading your daily contributions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2