Ensenada cruise port closed?

MartaMartian

Norwegian just cancelled a lot of the Bliss’ stops at Ensenada, stating due to fuel efficiency. 

However I have also heard the port was cancelled due to civil unrest. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone else’s stop at Ensenada been cancelled on other cruise lines? Or do you just not port there at all?

13 hours ago, MartaMartian said:

Norwegian just cancelled a lot of the Bliss’ stops at Ensenada, stating due to fuel efficiency. 

However I have also heard the port was cancelled due to civil unrest. Can anyone confirm? Has anyone else’s stop at Ensenada been cancelled on other cruise lines? Or do you just not port there at all?

I heard on another thread there is an outbreak of Rocky Mountain Spotted fever in Northern Mexico, and there does seem to be some confirmation of that

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-cautions-travelers-mexico-rocky-mountain-spotted-fever-rcna128519

• Like 2

There's nothing at all on a Google search about civil unrest in Ensenada since Aug 2022, so maybe it's the tick-borne disease that's the issue.  I doubt it's a problem if you stay away from dogs (ticks are commonly found on them) and stick close to the beach, instead of going on a hike or similar.

I was in Ensenada 2 weeks ago. Vibe was relax and calm. Locals were friendly with the usual pushy vendors. Didn't see a single Mex beat cop, assault rifle toting soldier or patrolling gun truck anywhere unlike in some other Mex ports. 

On 12/15/2023 at 10:17 PM, MartaMartian said:

Do you know if they are adding anything or just the two ports on a 7 day cruise now? 

21 hours ago, L1211 said:

Do you know if they are adding anything or just the two ports on a 7 day cruise now? 

We are sailing on Bliss in March. Ensenada dropped off the itinerary last week, but we still have Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Less time in Cabo and at less than ideal hours (6:45 am to 2pm), but longer in PV and Mazatlan by 2-3 hours.

On 12/15/2023 at 7:17 PM, MartaMartian said:

This makes sense.  Especially if as in the post below, it seems like 4 ports were planned in 7 days.  I think the reason is exactly as stated - fuel efficiency (i.e., lower ship's cost.)

47 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We are sailing on Bliss in March. Ensenada dropped off the itinerary last week, but we still have Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

3 ports is normal for a 7 day cruise on the west coast.  The ship would need to be really moving to get another port in the allotted time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spotfish said:

We are on a cruise leaving Christmas eve from LA and Ensenada is still a stop but there are no excursions offered now,  there were 6 or 8 a week ago still being offered ?

I have seen that happen when they can't get an agreement with the tour operator.  Maybe somebody want's more money?  

On 12/18/2023 at 12:33 PM, L1211 said:

We’re still going to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo. They’ve increased the time in port for Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan but totally changed our time in Cabo.

On 12/23/2023 at 2:09 AM, awinner said:

We are doing a quick 3 day on the Radiance on January 2nd. I just looked and they are still offering all excursions in Ensenada.

The email we got from NCL says Ensenada is cancelled on cruises from February 11, 2024 through and including March 10, 2024. Outside of those dates, you would still visit Ensenada.

3 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

The email we got from NCL says Ensenada is cancelled on cruises from February 11, 2024 through and including March 10, 2024. Outside of those dates, you would still visit Ensenada.

Interesting the port schedule shows no NCL ships after January 11th when the Bliss is there.  There's nothing after that in 2024, at least until June was the furthest out I looked.  Every other lines appears to be stopping there on a regular schedule.    

• 4 weeks later...

If the cruise lines couldn't stop at Ensenada, it would affect so many cruises as Ensenada is often the only foreign port on the itenarary. Canceling that many would have made bigger news. This seems to be an NCL, specifically Bliss only decision. I know people enjoy Cabo but I'd rather have more time in PV and Mazatlan. Not missing much by skipping Ensenada. 

• Like 2