Surprising someone on board -- The Sequel

schmoopie17

Yes, it's me with can opener in hand, grabbing that can of worms known as "surprising someone on board."

Since the original post had over 3,000 views (both positive and negative) I thought some of you might be interested in the latest update. If not, feel free to exit this thread and go back to reading about hash browns and other similar riveting topics.

We had planned to surprise long-time friends of ours (with whom we have traveled a number of times in the past) by joining them on their upcoming cruise in February...and not tell them. Surprise! It was noted in the original post that the husband was recently diagnosed with dementia and this would most likely be our last chance to travel with them (or possibly ever see both of them again, since they now live 2,000 miles away).

Fast forward to last night, when Mrs. Schmoopie did a Facetime with her longtime friend. After exchanging pleasantries, the friend said, "I hope you're calling to tell me you're joining us on our cruise." Mrs. Schmoopie was torn, because she wanted to maintain the surprise but instead blurted out, "Yes...we're going along with you." I wasn't thrilled that she let the cat out of the bag, but the friend's reaction was a mixture of sheer joy, happiness and clumsiness, as she actually dropped her phone in excitement. A couple minutes later, she said, "I have a great idea. "Let's not tell ---- (her husband), so he'll be surprised. (Gee, imagine that...wanting to surprise him). So, now we'll all be able to take part in the surprise. 

I  love a story with a happy ending. 

• Like 32
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Where does one actually find “a can of worms”?  😂

Actual true story.

Back in my early teens, a friend's father was going to take us fishing the next day.  Worms make great bait.  The night before, it had rained which makes the worms come out.  We easily collected a large number of night crawlers and put them in a coffee can for use the next day.  We didn't put a lid on the can.  An hour or two later his mom went to the garage and was shocked to see large worms crawling all over the floor.  So, it really does happen! 🤣 🐀  (email addy is in my signature my friend)

• Haha 2

schmoopie! your happy ending deserves 5 stars. enjoy the cruise, your time with your friends, and i apologize for being a naysayer.

BTW, if we had the time, i would surprise you and join you on this cruise. i'm actually a lot of fun when i'm not being a grumpy old man

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Actual true story.

Back in my early teens, a friend's father was going to take us fishing the next day.  Worms make great bait.  The night before, it had rained which makes the worms come out.  We easily collected a large number of night crawlers and put them in a coffee can for use the next day.  We didn't put a lid on the can.  An hour or two later his mom went to the garage and was shocked to see large worms crawling all over the floor.  So, it really does happen! 🤣 🐀  (email addy is in my signature my friend)

Except in that case the can of worms didn't need to be opened, as it was never closed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Yes, it's me with can opener in hand, grabbing that can of worms known as "surprising someone on board."

Since the original post had over 3,000 views (both positive and negative) I thought some of you might be interested in the latest update. If not, feel free to exit this thread and go back to reading about hash browns and other similar riveting topics.

We had planned to surprise long-time friends of ours (with whom we have traveled a number of times in the past) by joining them on their upcoming cruise in February...and not tell them. Surprise! It was noted in the original post that the husband was recently diagnosed with dementia and this would most likely be our last chance to travel with them (or possibly ever see both of them again, since they now live 2,000 miles away).

Fast forward to last night, when Mrs. Schmoopie did a Facetime with her longtime friend. After exchanging pleasantries, the friend said, "I hope you're calling to tell me you're joining us on our cruise." Mrs. Schmoopie was torn, because she wanted to maintain the surprise but instead blurted out, "Yes...we're going along with you." I wasn't thrilled that she let the cat out of the bag, but the friend's reaction was a mixture of sheer joy, happiness and clumsiness, as she actually dropped her phone in excitement. A couple minutes later, she said, "I have a great idea. "Let's not tell ---- (her husband), so he'll be surprised. (Gee, imagine that...wanting to surprise him). So, now we'll all be able to take part in the surprise. 

This is a wonderful and heartwarming story.

I'm so glad to hear how it has worked out (so far. LOL).

That said, not all potential surprisees may take it the same way.

I'd say if you really, truly, know your "customers", you now if you should dare make the move.

25 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

That said, not all potential surprisees may take it the same way.

I'd say if you really, truly, know your "customers", you now if you should dare make the move.

In the original post from a week ago, several people felt the same way.

However, also in the original post, I pointed out that not only have we vacationed with them a few times in the past, but they were the ones who brought up the idea of us tagging along with them on this cruise. I guess it's like anything else in life. Know your audience and YMMV.

At least your friend with dementia will be surprised to see you everyday.

Before I get shamed, I can joke about it -- it runs in my family on my mother's side. It is a horrible disease but it helps to be light hearted about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

This needs a ❤️ button!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Thank you for the update and happy it worked out!  I am in the camp of no surprises.     My horror would be our surprise passengers joining us would not have Vibe passes.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you for the update and happy it worked out!  I am in the camp of no surprises.     My horror would be our surprise passengers joining us would not have Vibe passes.  

Again, it's not like you have to hang out with your friends every waking moment on the ship. The surprise, along with doing dinner once in a while, having a few drinks, maybe an excursion, etc., is more than enough.

@schmoopie17 I didn't see your original post--what a wonderful idea!

I get that some people do NOT like surprises, but clearly you knew your friends & that it would be enjoyed.

I'm so excited for you all.

My DM & best friend passed last year. Wanted to do so much more traveling with her (oh, we did a lot, including one last magical cruise after her diagnosis).

Life is short. You don't know what will happen.

TAKE THE CRUISE! 

Have a wonderful time--looking forward to the NEXT Sequel.

(we are sailing Prima from Galveston next month & staying with some wonderful friends we met cruising--have sailed 2 more times since meeting them. I TRIED to get them on this cruise w/ us & she has given me this BS story that she needs to buy 2 new exterior doors & can't afford. it. I'm hoping they secretly booked it!!!)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 11:47 AM, laudergayle said:

Where does one actually find “a can of worms”?  😂

What an awesome update.  Thanks for sharing.

Watched the first episode of Goosebumps on one of the streaming platforms - husband was using the clicker, not me - and there was definitely an opened can of worms in the house! 

And yes, great update! It would have been amazing to see her reaction when you saw her onboard, but at least the husband will be surprised. I'm sure her stress level is much lowered knowing friends will be joining them. Have a fantastic time! 

Bring those worms. Remember, you can fish off the stern of the ship! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2