Princess Tour passengers left behind

Waynetor

6 yrs ago in Vietnam our Princess excursion was delayed by the local police on the highway back to the ship…long story short - the ship waited for our bus for over an hour, but then sailed without the other mini van on a private excursion.  4 buses were delayed…1 Princess and 3 private mini vans.  2 of the privates slipped through with our bigger bus, but the third was detained and literally missed the boat.  They met us at the next port but didn’t have good things to say about their experience.

• Like 1

This is why I walk everywhere or bike. I can't do something 25 miles away, but I'm OK with that. If something happens, I can just walk back to the port around the traffic jam. 

I understand that ppl are differently able and I'm young enough to do that

• Like 3

On 12/19/2023 at 5:06 PM, Coral said:

This was a long time ago - I am pretty sure it was on Princess Cays. The water was very rough and they deemed it too dangers for the tenders to take the rest of the passengers back to the ship. So crew went on the tenders and got medication for the passengers and the passengers spent the night on the beach. They then returned the following day when the seas calmed down.

I would be SOOOO PISSED. The bugs would eat me alive

On 12/19/2023 at 7:06 PM, Coral said:

This was a long time ago - I am pretty sure it was on Princess Cays. The water was very rough and they deemed it too dangers for the tenders to take the rest of the passengers back to the ship. So crew went on the tenders and got medication for the passengers and the passengers spent the night on the beach. They then returned the following day when the seas calmed down.

I remember reading about that.   My memory is that it was Royal Caribbean, but whichever cruise line, it sounded very unpleasant, despite how pleasant those private islands are during the day.   I believe it was before the private islands had all the cabanas for shelter, and it was cold at night.   I am sure it wasn't an easy decision for the captain to make.  

• Like 1

Just now, Joanne G. said:

I remember reading about that.   My memory is that it was Royal Caribbean, but whichever cruise line, it sounded very unpleasant, despite how pleasant those private islands are during the day.   I believe it was before the private islands had all the cabanas for shelter, and it was cold at night.   I am sure it wasn't an easy decision for the captain to make.  

It could have been RCCL.

• Like 1

Years ago, our bus on a Princess excursion got a flat tire in Antigua.  We were delayed due to a detour to get a tire change.   We got back to the ship in plenty of time, so no issues.  It was an amusing diversion, especially the sight of the service station workers doing their jobs barefoot!  At the time, I worked at a truck dealership, and the technicians in the shop had quite a chuckle over this picture.  

IMG_2823.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, Coral said:

We were at princess cay, and fortunately came back to the ship at lunch time.

There was a severe storm forecast for the afternoon.

Even by the time we got back, they were running the thrusters full-tilt boogie to try and maintain a lee.

We went up to the lido, and every plate there was rattling from the thrusters.

Anyway, about 1:30 they had to stop tendering, because it was too rough to get people off the tenders and onto the ship.

Somewhere, I have a picture of the pontoon completely awash.

After about a 2-hour delay they resumed tendering, and we left a little late for ft. lauderdale.

That was when we heard about people being left behind on princess cay.   Same situation ... too tough to get the people safely onboard.

They landed blankets and food for the people still ashore...

And, despite the endless posts that they ship will never leave you behind on a ship sponsored tour...

The ship left.

Bernie Warner was driving, just before he left for P&O...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

We were at princess cay, and fortunately came back to the ship at lunch time.

There was a severe storm forecast for the afternoon.

Even by the time we got back, they were running the thrusters full-tilt boogie to try and maintain a lee.

We went up to the lido, and every plate there was rattling from the thrusters.

Anyway, about 1:30 they had to stop tendering, because it was too rough to get people off the tenders and onto the ship.

Somewhere, I have a picture of the pontoon completely awash.

After about a 2-hour delay they resumed tendering, and we left a little late for ft. lauderdale.

That was when we heard about people being left behind on princess cay.   Same situation ... too tough to get the people safely onboard.

They landed blankets and food for the people still ashore...

And, despite the endless posts that they ship will never leave you behind on a ship sponsored tour...

The ship left.

Bernie Warner was driving, just before he left for P&O...

Thanks for confirming. Captain Warner - I remember him a long time ago!

I have no problems booking private shore excursions. I figure I have trip insurance if something goes wrong.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

He and Alistair Greener left Princess and went to P&O around the same time.

It seemed like every other sailing - they were Capt and CD on my cruises. Now I feel like I don't know anyone anymore. Both amazing.

22 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

It could have happened on both lines. Anything like this is possible.

14 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

He and Alistair Greener left Princess and went to P&O around the same time.

After thinking about it, Barty (Barrington) Brown went to P&O at about the same time, too.

I think he has passed away.   May he rest in peace.

image.thumb.png.422a9b6737af1a0fff6e001c387ff691.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

After thinking about it, Barty (Barrington) Brown went to P&O at about the same time, too.

I think he has passed away.   May he rest in peace.

image.thumb.png.422a9b6737af1a0fff6e001c387ff691.png

yes....he left Princess about the same time as the new Royal was launched, and he has passed away.

28 minutes ago, Coral said:

It could have happened on both lines. Anything like this is possible.

Definitely true.   Here is the incident I remembered, though I had forgotten that Royal sent a doctor and nurses to the island for the night.  What an experience that must have been.  

Cruise passengers endure unromantic night on island (tampabay.com)

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 1