The real Celebrity Rock Star is Captain Kirk “Beam the Music Up, Scotty”

RedneckBob

I am probably reporting what has been reported before but could not find it so hear goes.

Just off the Reflection for 14 days and saw two incredible Rock & Roll shows from your Captain, Captain Kirk. He played the guitar and sang 9-10 songs from Sweet Home Alabam, to Hotel California, to Hey Jude. Best shows of the cruise. And the way he interacted with the people in the showroom was excellent. During Sweet Home Alabam he went into the showroom to have passengers sing along through the mick. He avoided me since he much have known I was from Alabama! 😀. Then between songs someone yelled out, “Sing ArrowSmith”, which he replied, “If you can sing ArrowSmith, come up here on stage,”. Then someone asked if there was a DVD for which he asked the CD if we could make one. Finally someone asked if he could sing “Sweet Caroline”, for which the Captain replied, “ We have not practiced it but if you stay on the next cruise, we will perform it.”  What a night. The Showroom was packed. Standing ovations!!!

• Like 7

I totally agree, Redneck Bob.  We were on the same cruise and thought that Captain Kirk put on a great show.  And yes, his rapport during this show as well as during his Q & A and slideshow about ship navigation was most approachable. 

We also really enjoyed listening to Mike Redden both at poolside and at the sunset bar.  He read the room (the boat) with regard to volume, music selections, etc.  People stopped talking and actually listened to him.  

We had a super cruise (despite the rough seas). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Just off the Reflection for 14 days and saw two incredible Rock & Roll shows from your Captain, Captain Kirk. He played the guitar and sang 9-10 songs from Sweet Home Alabam, to Hotel California, to Hey Jude. Best shows of the cruise. And the way he interacted with the people in the showroom was excellent. 

He is great! We were with him on a different sailing and it was the most packed show of the cruise. The performance was more enjoyable to me than the same old shows in the theater. 

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Sweet Caroline is forever spoiled for me when people started adding the 'so good, so good' refrain. It's annoying as hell. It was never like that back in the day. 

The ongoing, fun "appeal" to that song over time has become about the crowd participation aspect.

7 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

The ongoing, fun "appeal" to that song over time has become about the crowd participation aspect.

I'm 62 and lament how concerts have become crowd participation events. If I wanted to hear other people sing, I'll go to karaoke. I'm paying over $200/tkt to hear the ARTIST perform. I really dislike when an artist performs half the song and then turns the mike around for the audience to complete it. Call me old school, but that's my take on it. Just saw performances by Smokey Robinson and Diana Ross and they kept the audience participation to the bare minimum which was much appreciated. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, stbr said:

I totally agree, Redneck Bob.  We were on the same cruise and thought that Captain Kirk put on a great show.  And yes, his rapport during this show as well as during his Q & A and slideshow about ship navigation was most approachable. 

We also really enjoyed listening to Mike Redden both at poolside and at the sunset bar.  He read the room (the boat) with regard to volume, music selections, etc.  People stopped talking and actually listened to him.  

Yes, the seas were so rough that I changed my new tennis shoes from New Balance to No Balance! 😀

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, stbr said:

Where were you? I met everyone!

9th floor - we hung out all over.  But I crashed early most nights due to the effects of the Bonine and then Dramamine (once I ran out of Bonine)😅 The ship's shops ran out of Bonine, too. 

It was a terrific cruise though.  I love the ABC islands. I will post a full review soon. 

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Sweet Caroline is forever spoiled for me when people started adding the 'so good, so good' refrain. It's annoying as hell. It was never like that back in the day. 

I guess it depends, I kind of like it when the crowd gets into songs like that.. I have always hear people in bars add that to the song.  I do not mind at all. 

Just like people adding to Hank William's Jr. Country Tradition .;.  "Why do you drink?" "Get drunk."  ...etc..

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I guess it depends, I kind of like it when the crowd gets into songs like that.. I have always hear people in bars add that to the song.  I do not mind at all. 

Just like people adding to Hank William's Jr. Country Tradition .;.  "Why do you drink?" "Get drunk."  ...etc..

The Cruise Critic always amazing me how something this Captain did probably that no other cruise Captain does turns into complaining about how a song is sung!

Bottomline is Captain Kirk is one of a kind!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

I agree.  How many times would I want to even listen to the same song over and over and over without the crowd participation or some other fun-added aspect.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course and can like or dislike it.  For the record, I'm no youngster myself (on the other side of 70) and I have no issue with the sing alongs and love the "so good, so good, so good" and "bamp bamp bamp" singing!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sivia said:

Do you have a photo from the Who's On Board screen from the tv set in your room?   What is Captain Kirk's real/last name?   Thanks.   Did he just join the ship?

No, his name is Greek to me, I don’t know. 😳

Ok, I can do better than that. Captain Kyriakos from Piraeus, Greece.

And the Rock Star is:

IMG_1503.thumb.png.c82e658a0ec6351cd77a31244148a1d0.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sivia said:

Do you have a photo from the Who's On Board screen from the tv set in your room?   What is Captain Kirk's real/last name?   Thanks.   Did he just join the ship?

Not new. He did a full show, which he said was his first,  during the October transatlantic from Barcelona. Fantastic and richly deserved the standing ovation he received.

15 hours ago, stbr said:

Sorry about the weather on the Transatlantic it was almost perfect, just one day with a bit of movement.