Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

10 hours ago, George C said:

That’s not bad Caymus for 18 and no extra for Decoy . I drink liquor except for dining.

Not a good price at all.  That price listed is just the delta, i.e., it is $35 per glass ($17 you already paid in your PDP + $18 listed + 20% gratuity). 

Edited by Winemaker_1

1 minute ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Not a good price at all.  That price is the delta, i.e., it is $35 per glass ($17 you already paid in your PDP + $18 listed + 20% gratuity). 

I'm not all that crazy about Caymus; other wines out there at better price points. I bought a half size bottle at Christmas just to see what all the hype was about.  I like Austin Hope but the ship doesn't carry it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I'm not all that crazy about Caymus; other wines out there at better price points. I bought a half size bottle at Christmas just to see what all the hype was about.  I like Austin Hope but the ship doesn't carry it. 

This is all very personal, of course.  It's not a wine I consider special, either.  Like so many California wines, they must price them at a level where there are many, many other choices.    

22 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Even with the upcharge, it is still cheaper than on land.  As an Elk member, even the upcharge is cheaper than my cheap drinks at the lodge.

Not from what I've researched.  I can get several of the upcharged wines for less per glass at high end Chicago steakhouses. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Should people comparing the price of wine to what is cost in a restaurant and not a discount store when they comparing a wine price on Celebrity? 

Yes, and I have. Cheaper by the glass at high end Chicago steakhouses.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yes, and I have. Cheaper by the glass at high end Chicago steakhouses.

Juat a few years ago we went to a Wisconsin Supper Club on the Mississippi north of La Crosse.  Wisconsin Supper Clubs are the old fashioned establishments with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin playlists.probably on Sat Radio.

Anyway,  Prime Rib dinner was excellent  at good prices but I distinctly remember the drinks served. I had a crown royal filled to the top with a minimlal amount of ise and ice in a separate glass if I needed it.    $5

My wife had  a full glass of wine of what she liked at the time at 2/3 of the price in the north burbs of Chicago. eg, Wildfire. Not a Mortons etc,

When kids went to camp  ages ago, up in Northern Wisconsin North and west of Green Bay, a Supper Club named White Stag-wedge salad was 1/2 of the lettuce head. Drinks were the same "bargain"

A Stella on board is I think 11 or 12 now. A 12 bottle  case sells for 15 or so. Its not a micro brewery beer.

Betcha these places  in Wisconsin are still high value.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Should people comparing the price of wine to what is cost in a restaurant and not a discount store when they comparing a wine price on Celebrity? 

That would mean finding a restaurant that serves Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir.  

I have not seen it in any restaurant that I have been in so the only comparison I have is price.  When the changes occurred I went and bought the Mouton Cadet Bordeaux & the Mondavi Pinot.   The Bordeaux was barely drinkable for DH, I added ice to mine.  We tried the Mondavi a few nights ago, or actually opened it.  Tried it, ugh.  Let it breathe, still ugh, poured it down the drain.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That would mean finding a restaurant that serves Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir.  

I have not seen it in any restaurant that I have been in so the only comparison I have is price.  When the changes occurred I went and bought the Mouton Cadet Bordeaux & the Mondavi Pinot.   The Bordeaux was barely drinkable for DH, I added ice to mine.  We tried the Mondavi a few nights ago, or actually opened it.  Tried it, ugh.  Let it breathe, still ugh, poured it down the drain.  

Well when I go into a nice restaurant I do not find any pedestrian grocery store wines.  Most if all taste  very good and some I note and drink at home.  

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

We do like caymus , but also like Austin Hope may need to open that today or tomorrow since we are stuck home , 11 degrees with snow currently in Dallas. As I said earlier in Luminae a few years ago they gave us Caymus for no extra charge when they ran out of Decoy.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, George C said:

11 degrees with snow currently in Dallas. As

I'm in Ontario Canada and its MINUS 11 here but feels like minus 16.  But I can drink wine while I'm packing for a cruise in less than two weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I'm in Ontario Canada and its MINUS 11 here but feels like minus 16.  But I can drink wine while I'm packing for a cruise in less than two weeks. 

But they probably talking 11°F , which is -11.7°C , still to Facking Cold 🤣

Just agreeing with this window in Magala 😁

IMG_3777.thumb.jpeg.0fba4c17c1dc0c7ee80fc34a06991961.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 10:05 PM, goofysmom99 said:

Report is coming from Summit, now.  Anything that's over $17.

We were in the Retreat on the Summit for the Dec 21st Christmas Cruise. No card readers existed in the Retreat Lounge or Retreat Sun Deck, and no up-charge was applied for anything we ordered.

Lisa and Kevin

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, biscuitsandhoney said:

We were in the Retreat on the Summit for the Dec 21st Christmas Cruise. No card readers existed in the Retreat Lounge or Retreat Sun Deck, and no up-charge was applied for anything we ordered.

Lisa and Kevin

Menu of limited offerings in the Retreat Lounge was rolled out yesterday on the Ascent.   The beverages are all that are available now in the lounge and all fall within the premium beverage package , so upcharge was short lived in the Lounge.  Unfortunately the list does not include some of the previous favorites.

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Menu of limited offerings in the Retreat Lounge was rolled out yesterday on the Ascent.   The beverages are all that are available now in the lounge and all fall within the premium beverage package , so upcharge was short lived in the Lounge.  Unfortunately the list does not include some of the previous favorites.

Thanks for the update. We are on Ascent in March. We will report back 😀

35 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The posting from the Ascent yesterday (in this thread) includes multiple wines available in the Retreat Lounge for an upcharge. In fact the menu prices are the amount of the upgrade. Are you seeing something different?

The most talked about favorite, Decoy Cabernet, is back on the premium list. 

No one has posted that I’ve seen on other ships, but presumably this will be adopted across the fleet. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

The posting from the Ascent yesterday (in this thread) includes multiple wines available in the Retreat Lounge for an upcharge. In fact the menu prices are the amount of the upgrade. Are you seeing something different?

The most talked about favorite, Decoy Cabernet, is back on the premium list. 

No one has posted that I’ve seen on other ships, but presumably this will be adopted across the fleet. 

You are correct.  I blew right past the section with the Elevated wines to see if my favorites were available- they aren’t😢.  Red Condundrum, Cherry Pie and Cherry Tart remain at $19 so some where between included in the lounge and Elevated.   Wonder if they will get them- for a upcharge of course.

On 12/20/2023 at 2:46 PM, Baynanno1 said:

Some are $8 above the Premium limit of $17.

Post #2 in this thread has photos of the Classic, Premium and Elevated (above Premium to make more money) wines :

I don't see that in post #2.  Could you repost please?

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

You are correct.  I blew right past the section with the Elevated wines to see if my favorites were available- they aren’t😢.  Red Condundrum, Cherry Pie and Cherry Tart remain at $19 so some where between included in the lounge and Elevated.   Wonder if they will get them- for a upcharge of course.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. Does anyone know if the wines listed in the Retreat Lounge are available in other venues or are they only for suite customers. We are sailing in Aqua class and just wondering if they would be available in Blu. 

Just now, High on the Seas said:

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. Does anyone know if the wines listed in the Retreat Lounge are available in other venues or are they only for suite customers. We are sailing in Aqua class and just wondering if they would be available in Blu. 

Yes many of the wines on the menu were available in Blu.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, High on the Seas said:

The ones that are on the Premium package should be.  Some from the Elevated list are probably available in a few places but not every restaurant or bar. 

On 12/22/2023 at 2:01 PM, HMR74 said:

I think management and the tier below top management needs a whack on the side of the head to bring in common sense.

I have 2 cases (not a pun yet) in point>

Reisling  wine.  X has used Chateau Ste Michelle in the Classic package. I can buy it and do at 4.99 a bottle when I buy by the case.  With 5 pours a bottle the raw cost per drink is $1.

The Reisling in the Premium package is J&H Selbach and I can buy that at 15 a bottle or so by the case.

$3 per glass.

Now the ceap wine in in the premium and so is the upscale wine, so I willearn for myself in 4 weeks how they handle that , in wil they charge 2 bucks more for the class of the upscale wine now that ther is a cheapep wine in the premium.

Similarly: but not exacltly, X for a long time now, a few yearsm has not carried Crown Royal But it had Woolford , roughly 50% more expensive, in Premium so althought I liked CR better , Woodford is a good sub.

Now both are in the premium and I suspect Woolford will be 2 bucks extra (plus the obligatory 20%).

I will be more than fine with Crown Royal. And I will be fine with Chateau St Michelle cheap wine.

But management  which is young and not as experienced as they think they are, does not get it.

When a drink is in a package , it should be part of it. No nickle and dime extra charge. The structure of the offering is set up that way.

If I have the premium drink package, whether I am in Retreat, Aqua, or steerage, when I buy that package whats included should be included. Period. Once of the fund things , and it was menteiodned herein, is you can leave your wallet behind  when you leave cabin and not have to worry about a ting YOur Sea Pass is coded correctly.

And if you planned correctly , you should be able to go thru a cruise and not have to deal with an invoice at the end or even need to spend time discussing at a desk where you wait to ask a question. It should be "clean", and that's the experience I seek.

They, middle and upper mgt,  make these "caca" business decisons which end up being cheap insults to their customers and encourages this negative discussion which gets to the point that it's  laughable.

Perhaps its a new thing with younger managers who never had mentors really teaching them the ropes.

PS, with all the changes I had to call and ask about mudslides, my fav afternoon topside drink. It took 15 minutes but the answer was,  "probably" I had a good laugh. Still do.

PPS- I know ahead of time that buying the package is not cost effective for us. However, I really do like the idea of ordering and not thinking about it.

You are so right about the young management comment.  I guess I have truly gotten old but I think it is a generational thing.  You can't go ANYWHERE anymore without someone trying to "upsell" you something.  Not even freakin McDonalds!  Can I offer you fries with that?  Can I offer you a large soda instead of a small one?  Can I supersize your order?  Go to Starbucks same thing - would you like a pastry with that?  Would you like an extra expresso shot? and then they turn the machine around for you to tip them for ringing up your order - not making it but ringing it up. Somewhere they have taught people in business school that in order to make money you have to nickel and dime people to death and upsell everything.  It is beyond annoying and I'm with you - I like to just pay for it and be done and not stress about a huge bill after the cruise.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 3:51 PM, 39august said:

If I'm reading this menu correctly it looks like La Crema chardonnay is included. I see no dollar charge. That is strange as La Crema used to be an upcharge. Sure hope this new list is on EQ next week and the week after. 

That's because it's La Crema central coast which is a cheap version of La Crema Russian River which they used to have and not nearly as good.  The difference in price for a bottle at Total wines is $9.  The central coast sells for $17.97 and the Russian river sells for $26.97

On 1/13/2024 at 7:30 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

So with all the complaints, the $19 wines are now $23. Talk about screwing us over. 

I didn't associate the fact that the ship is in Australia with the higher prices.

The Mer Soleil was $15 last time we were on Celebrity which was in October - it is now $23.  A $8 increase PER GLASS is outrageous!  

Edited by camella
  • Like 2