How does NCL handle price drops?

stipmom

2 hours ago, stipmom said:

We are looking at a European cruise n 2025

the 2024 price for same itinerary is much less so it might not be a popular sailing as it is a port intensive Baltic cruise

thanks

Possibly true.

Or, it just may be a planned price increase is at least part of the difference..

Search the forum using the phrase 'price drop' and you're sure to find several recent threads.  Bottom line - prior to final payment you can re-price all you want as long as you accept the changes (if any) to perks being offered, after final payment you get one shot at re-pricing or upgrading your cabin.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stipmom said:

We are looking at a European cruise n 2025

the 2024 price for same itinerary is much less so it might not be a popular sailing as it is a port intensive Baltic cruise

thanks

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Search the forum using the phrase 'price drop' and you're sure to find several recent threads.  Bottom line - prior to final payment you can re-price all you want as long as you accept the changes (if any) to perks being offered, after final payment you get one shot at re-pricing or upgrading your cabin.

There's no real reason to hold off on booking the cruise.  Price drops easy to get.  Booking now protects you against price increases.  If the price drops, then you or your TA can get a new price from NCL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marys350 said:

In July, 2023 we booked a Northern European cruise on Prima for June, 2024. Since then we have been successful in getting three price drops totalling approximately $1,100 for 2 people in a balcony cabin. Still watching....

Good job!

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

There's no real reason to hold off on booking the cruise.  Price drops easy to get.  Booking now protects you against price increases.  If the price drops, then you or your TA can get a new price from NCL.

Sure there is....

1. Time value of money.

2. Risk that cruise price drops multiple times after final payment.

3. Can't book nonrefundable air yet. NCL could end up chartering the ship.

4. Can't book nonrefundable air yet. NCL could reposition the ship.

5. Can't book nonrefundable air yet. NCL could change the ports, the port times, etc.

I could go on. Booking early does not come without risks. Everyone needs to carefully calculate risk and then make a decision based on their individual circumstances.

19 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Sure there is....

1. Time value of money.

5. Can't book nonrefundable air yet. NCL could change the ports, the port times, etc.

I could go on. Booking early does not come without risks. Everyone needs to carefully calculate risk and then make a decision based on their individual circumstances.

If the OP books the 2025 cruise today, Numbers 3, 4 and 5 are non-applicable at this time, since air schedules won't even come out until 11 months before the trip. And, in any case, nobody says you have to book air at the time you book your cruise. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

If the OP books the 2025 cruise today, Numbers 3, 4 and 5 are non-applicable at this time, since air schedules won't even come out until 11 months before the trip. And, in any case, nobody says you have to book air at the time you book your cruise. 

True, they would become applicable at the 11 month mark.

There is zero risk booking a cruise between the time the itinerary is announced and final payment date.  The booking can be cancelled at any time within that window with a full refund of the small deposit (or CN cert).  Sure, if I book two years before final payment I lose that whopping $25 in interest on my deposit money.  Not to worry, I (and all other cruisers) can afford that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@ChiefMateJRK I was going to comment the same thing. We aren’t talking loads of money or a significant length of time for time value of money to be anything more than trivial.  And final payment dates don’t change based on when you book. So paying the balance of your cruise at final payment date versus waiting a month for a hypothetical price drop saves what….$3 in time value of money? Not booking in advance on the hope of a price drop (let alone “multiple times”) after final payment date isn’t exactly reality these days. 

Edited by TheDawg79
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

There is zero risk booking a cruise between the time the itinerary is announced and final payment date.  The booking can be cancelled at any time within that window with a full refund of the small deposit (or CN cert).  Sure, if I book two years before final payment I lose that whopping $25 in interest on my deposit money.  Not to worry, I (and all other cruisers) can afford that.

Booking early lets you get your choice of cabin before all the "good" ones are scarfed up. Plus, you get to start planning excursions, ports, etc., in earnest, knowing you're really going (unless you cancel, of course).

Plus, you can send your itinerary to friends to rub it in...or if they want to join you...which sometimes ends up happening for us. Everyone wants to cruise with the Schmoopies...😁

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheDawg79 said:

@ChiefMateJRK I was going to comment the same thing. We aren’t talking loads of money or a significant length of time for time value of money to be anything more than trivial. And final payment dates don’t chance. Not booking in advance on the hope of a price drop (let alone “multiple times”) after final payment date isn’t exactly reality these days. 

Exactly. People focus on price drops. What about the case where the price increases...as is the case with our Mediterranean cruise next September? The price is currently several hundred more than we paid when booking a year ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Sure there is....

1. Time value of money.

1. Time value of money.  - trivial on the small deposit.

2. Risk that cruise price drops multiple times after final payment. - versus risk that price goes  up.  My Feb 2024 and Jan 2025 are both up.  If you're really worried, wait until right before cruise date to claim the FCC.

3, 4, 5.  My airfare for my February cruise is UP over 100% from when I booked it last June.  BTW, my airfare is non-refundable but I can change flights, etc., which I have done at no cost.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

1. Time value of money.  - trivial on the small deposit.

2. Risk that cruise price drops multiple times after final payment. - versus risk that price goes  up.  My Feb 2024 and Jan 2025 are both up.  If you're really worried, wait until right before cruise date to claim the FCC.

3, 4, 5.  My airfare for my February cruise is UP over 100% from when I booked it last June.  BTW, my airfare is non-refundable but I can change flights, etc., which I have done at no cost.

I'm not worried about anything. We know what works for us. NCL has burned us with a charter cancellation before. Now, in the rare occasion we book with NCL, we do so last minute when there is truly very little risk of itinerary changes, port alterations, charters, etc. We have had tremendous opportunities to sail for 25% of the price you paid 90 days ago. We are back from our cruises and haven't even paid for them yet. And that is truly a risk-free experience.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

And that is truly a risk-free experience.

What if the price goes up from 90 days ago?  The rest of us are on the ship drinking, eating, joking around, drinking, meeting new friends, etc. and you're home waiting for the next great "deal."  Well, like the saying goes, to each their own.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

What if the price goes up from 90 days ago?  The rest of us are on the ship drinking, eating, joking around, drinking, meeting new friends, etc. and you're home waiting for the next great "deal."  Well, like the saying goes, to each their own.😎

If that's what actually happened, that would suck big time.

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

So it just happened that one time?

Candidly, it really isn't any of your concern, but since you keep pushing.....I have no idea how many times. We've been using our methodology since the 2000's. It's allowed us the opportunity to sail over 50 cruises on multiple lines from Europe to Hawaii. Sapphire NCL, Diamond CCL, Platinum Princess, etc. It's how we choose to do it and it works for us.  If you need to select your specific cabin or lock in preferred flight times, I wouldn't recommend our methodology. If it doesn't work for you, respectfully, move on.

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Says the person who came into this thread and basically stated that the rest of us don't know what we are doing.

Oh, okay. Hope my comments helped the OP. Thank you for your observations. Merry, Merry, Xmas.

Edited by luv2kroooz

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

What about the case where the price increases...as is the case with our Mediterranean cruise next September?

That's the case for my cruise coming up next month, the category I'm booked in is currently $800 more than I booked it for, back in June.  Had I waited to book I would be waiting to sail a Panama Canal itinerary..

Booking months/years in advance is why I always have a CN in my account. Not gonna worry about any lost interest. If NCL cancels I'll probably get a 10% voucher. Not sure how nonrefundable airfare factors in if you're waiting until the last minute to book anyway. 

So I'm in the book now, watch prices/ promos and make adjustments along the way, make your final decisions when it's time to pay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Says the person who came into this thread and basically stated that the rest of us don't know what we are doing.

6 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Oh, okay. Hope my comments helped the OP. Thank you for your observations. Merry, Merry, Xmas.

Chill out folks.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The only right answer is the one that someone prefers to utilize.

• Like 1