We do to Celebrity what we complain Celebrity does to us

CruiseRQA

On 12/25/2023 at 2:25 PM, airhose said:

I think that most of us just want what was advertised when we made the purchase.

This is me 100%.  If I purchase a car with power windows and it arrives with crank windows, I have an issue.  Not because I can't crank a window up or down, but because I didn't get what was agreed to in the price I paid.  

• Like 2

On 12/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, Winemaker_1 said:

You're describing only one segment of the market - bargain hunters.   I think the number of complaints on this board from many Retreat or Suite passengers indicates that some Celebrity cruisers are not just bargain hunters.  Some may not want to be bothered (while on vacation) for a Sea Pass every time they want a drink.  I'm among the latter.  My first cruise with Celebrity is coming up and if I am pestered for a Sea Pass for $2.40 up-charges, they will never see me again.  I'm paying for a suite in part not to be bothered.

I'll add that what sticks in my craw more than anything is how Celebrity has moved the goal posts on what I purchased 5 months ago.  And they continue to do so.  I already have a negative view of Celebrity and I haven't yet boarded a ship.  

I've never had an airline tell me after buying the ticket that they will only transport me 90% of the distance.

When exactly did they promise any drink at any price would be free for suites? The retreat adds say that premium drinks are complimentary - the most logical way for them to handle that would be to not stock anything other than the included drinks. And in fact, I think the person who originally posted about the upcharges asked for a wine that they didn't plan to stock in the retreat. If you don't want to be bothered by $2 up charges, it seems easy enough to order from the premium list. 

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

When exactly did they promise any drink at any price would be free for suites? The retreat adds say that premium drinks are complimentary - the most logical way for them to handle that would be to not stock anything other than the included drinks. And in fact, I think the person who originally posted about the upcharges asked for a wine that they didn't plan to stock in the retreat. If you don't want to be bothered by $2 up charges, it seems easy enough to order from the premium list. 

That's kind of an interesting question. I'm assuming you've sailed in the Retreat? What we've always found was that the bar was stocked the first day with a good mix of liquor and wine, probably all in the premium package, but some may well have been above the limit. There were never prices, so no one paid attention (kind of like an AMEX Centurion Lounge at the airport). Pretty much after saying hello and taking your drink order, the bartender universally stated if there's something you want that's not here, I'll get it. I assume there was a practical limit on that (he wasn't going to get a Macallan 18, for instance), but I'm pretty sure he nibbled at the margins. I don't know that I ever asked for something, but I know I've benefited from things others asked for. Balvenie, Glenmorangie, etc. that I only got in the retreat so I really don't know if they were below the package price because I didn't look for them in a bar with a price list.

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

That's kind of an interesting question. I'm assuming you've sailed in the Retreat? What we've always found was that the bar was stocked the first day with a good mix of liquor and wine, probably all in the premium package, but some may well have been above the limit. There were never prices, so no one paid attention (kind of like an AMEX Centurion Lounge at the airport). Pretty much after saying hello and taking your drink order, the bartender universally stated if there's something you want that's not here, I'll get it. I assume there was a practical limit on that (he wasn't going to get a Macallan 18, for instance), but I'm pretty sure he nibbled at the margins. I don't know that I ever asked for something, but I know I've benefited from things others asked for. Balvenie, Glenmorangie, etc. that I only got in the retreat so I really don't know if they were below the package price because I didn't look for them in a bar with a price list.

But when was that advertised as a retreat benefit? or was it just common practice. They are free to change common practice at any time. Not bait and switch. The retreat advertises complimentary drinks and the premium drinks package. It sounds like both of those are still provided. 

I'm traveling to an all inclusive in a couple weeks. They advertised all included drinks and food. Now, they also offer upgrades for additional cost. That doesn't mean they are no longer doing all included drinks and food. You can drink and eat all day and night long for free. Also not bait and switch.

Edited by sanger727

38 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

When exactly did they promise any drink at any price would be free for suites?

They didn't nor did anyone on this thread expect or ask for that.

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

The retreat adds say that premium drinks are complimentary

It says there are complimentary drinks in the Retreat areas and it includes the Premium Drinks Package for drinks up to $17/glass.  It goes on to list examples of the brands included.  At issue here is that those same brands are now not complimentary and now exceed the limit on the PDP (yet they are still listed on the website).  Reports are that some ships are charging $19/glass for them ,necessitating a transaction each time for the $2.40.  This affects Premium Drinks Packages users whether in the Retreat or not.   People are reacting because Celebrity was already charging $17/glass for mass market 'beverages' that cost $10/bottle.  Then, adding insult to injury, they will bother the very customers who specifically paid not to have to deal with transactions for these drinks with a transaction each time.  People paid for this many months in advance.  Now the quality of product is being lowered without notification or recompense.  This is what people don't like.  

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

But when was that advertised as a retreat benefit? or was it just common practice. They are free to change common practice at any time. Not bait and switch. The retreat advertises complimentary drinks and the premium drinks package. It sounds like both of those are still provided. 

I'm traveling to an all inclusive in a couple weeks. They advertised all included drinks and food. Now, they also offer upgrades for additional cost. That doesn't mean they are no longer doing all included drinks and food. You can drink and eat all day and night long for free. Also not bait and switch.

Others can correct me, but the benefit was the lounge and included drinks. I don’t know that they ever specified what that meant. I don’t recall “in the premium package” as a qualifier. And until the latest pricing changes there was no need; everything was included. It was very much like a Centurion Lounge. Top shelf liquor and good wines and everything included. AMEX doesn’t stock things in their lounges that they charge extra for, or I’ve never had a reason to order it if they do. Same in the Retreat. If they had it, including things they’d bring in during the week, it was included. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

We don't have the power to do what Celebrity does to us. There is simply no comparison.

So, pay and pray approach, especially if one books early!

I booked a TA/b2b on Apex for 2025.  Within a 15 day period this month, the price went up 2,000; gratuities went up another 100 for the TA portion alone!  The sky seems to be the limit for sky suites!  Just my observation, but the stock is on fire too!  (Just my personal observation)

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

So, pay and pray approach, especially if one books early!

I booked a TA/b2b on Apex for 2025.  Within a 15 day period this month, the price went up 2,000; gratuities went up another 100 for the TA portion alone!  The sky seems to be the limit for sky suites!  Just my observation, but the stock is on fire too!  (Just my personal observation)

Pretty much.  I used to think if people would vote with their wallets and stop booking cruises at higher prices with reduced services, prices would come down.  Now it looks like they'll just find more places to cut costs instead.

ETA: I'm not saying this is just a Celebrity thing, it seems to be happening all around.

Edited by vjmatty
ETA
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 6:17 PM, markeb said:

So do you have an arbitration date yet? I mean somewhere around page 321(a) subparagraph 5.1.3(c) in your cruise ticket Celebrity spelled out the procedure for arbitration. Right after the paragraph that said you agreed to arbitration and right before the paragraph that said you had to file any legal challenges in Florida and close to the one that said you couldn't participate in a class action. It was easy to ready in Arial 6. So I'm assuming you've filed for arbitration for breach of contract?

Venting is fine. Maybe even cathartic. But if people really think they aren't getting what they paid for then there are remedies in the cruise contract. Cruise Critic isn't a remedy.

I'm sure you're not getting what you think you paid for. You're not getting what I want to believe I paid for. But I'm betting unless they have the worst corporate lawyers on earth, we're actually getting what we really paid for. And we accepted their ability to change pretty much everything even after we bought the cruise. And I'm also sure they'll gladly send you the link where you could have read all those terms before actually buying the cruise. And no, I didn't read them either. I just assume they're there and that they're designed to hose me over. Like Ticketmaster, the airlines, MLB, NBA, NFL, NCAA, most carmakers, etc. 

Some of this logic is suspect at best.  For example, right now on the Celebrity website it says that Decoy cabernet is included in the Premium drink package.  Onboard right now it is NOT included, as people are being charged a surcharge for it.  So I don't think this falls under the "what you think you paid for" umbrella.  It's one thing advertised and another thing delivered.  Plain and simple.  Black and white.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

For example, right now on the Celebrity website it says that Decoy cabernet is included in the Premium drink package.  Onboard right now it is NOT included,

I'd just take a dated print out/screenshot or just show the waiter the website at the time you order - I suspect they couldn't/wouldn't argue the point if it's in stock and clearly shown as included on a current document. 

Edited by Bullswood

What's included:

• Champagnes and favorite wines such as Conundrum White and Red Blends, Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon, J&H Selbach Riesling Kabine, Mouton Cadet Bordeaux Blend, and Edmeades Zinfandel

The advertising gives no guarantee of actual availability. Nor does it define "such as". Any Cabernet Sauvignon could be considered "such as".

They have better lawyers than we do...

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 8:31 AM, QuestionEverything said:

Oceansaway17, I agree 100%.

For me $ is not a limitation, thankfully.

However, I do not purchase items I do not need nor want, not from a cruise line or anyone else.

I have been cruising with Oceania - they recently changed to an inclusive model Simply More stated as "Free" in their advertising, which is a bold faced lie.

So Oceania has been cancelled. Two groups of cruising friends have also cancelled Oceania.

I live in amazement how some cruisers accept the downgrading, the mandatory inclusive and shrug it off. 

We have booked two land vacations with Globus instead of cruises.

Time to change it up.

Happy New Year!

well since Oceania is part of NCL group that explains it.  NCL struggles more than RCG.

Love Globus.  I did USA National parks in CO, UT, WY and SD.  Great tour

toodles

On 12/27/2023 at 6:58 PM, Bullswood said:

I'd just take a dated print out/screenshot or just show the waiter the website at the time you order - I suspect they couldn't/wouldn't argue the point if it's in stock and clearly shown as included on a current document. 

To play honestly you also need to include this part in your screenshot: 

Specific beverage offerings are subject to availability and change. 

IMG_1989.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well since Oceania is part of NCL group that explains it.  NCL struggles more than RCG.

Love Globus.  I did USA National parks in CO, UT, WY and SD.  Great tour

toodles

Greetings and Happy New Year Oceansaway17!

You are quite correct.

Glad you loved Globus, it is a North American oriented company, we did Austria and Switzerland which included the Glacier Express to Zermatt and the Matterhorn.

We just loved the in depth of their tours into the geography, taking us to real local food restaurants.

Cruising is getting blah and repetitive - I am taking a Globus tour of Great Britain in June, 21 days - will see most everything - versus a cruise which only hits specific ports for 8 hrs or so.

Cruises are losing popularity amongst us and our friends - it is not about the $.

It is value for money and cruising is not providing it especially with all the downgrading.

Happy Trails!

3 hours ago, paulh84 said:

To play honestly you also need to include this part in your screenshot: 

Specific beverage offerings are subject to availability and change. 

IMG_1989.jpeg

We’re assuming it’s available as otherwise we wouldn’t be discussing price?  And no, if they’re playing “ we can mess you around with just about anything if you look at the small print” games, let them find the relevant excuse, it’s not my job!

Edited by Bullswood

On 12/27/2023 at 11:00 PM, vjmatty said:

Pretty much.  I used to think if people would vote with their wallets and stop booking cruises at higher prices with reduced services, prices would come down.  Now it looks like they'll just find more places to cut costs instead.

ETA: I'm not saying this is just a Celebrity thing, it seems to be happening all around.

We usually book whilst on board and usually will have at least 4 or 5 bookings. However, we have a B2B in March and have moved one from Sept 24

to March 25 which we may cancel altogether depending on our experience on our next cruises. For March 25 I have looked at the new Sun Princess for the exact same dates the signature suites are $2200 cheaper per couple than a similar SS. But included is Drinks upto $20, WiFi for 4 devices, Tips and complementary laundry. Because I booked on board I can simply move it on 

and maybe wait for a good deal or things may change with Celebrity who knows.

I also did some dummy bookings on our 11 night Beyond sailing to the Panama Canal because I was  inundated with move up offers. Prior to final payment the ship was full and no new bookings could be made.

Today this is what is available;

83 insides, 4 OV, 25 balcony, 8 Concierge 
10 Aqua , 28 Sky suite, 4 Aq Suite
6 CS, 1 RS, 1 EV and at least 1 PH.

That is a lot of cabins empty I have never seen this many balcony and above cabins available for sailings during March. What also surprised me was the number of inside cabins empty. I intend to look at other sailings and see if this is mirrored over other sailings. It seems people are voting with their feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Greetings and Happy New Year Oceansaway17!

You are quite correct.

Glad you loved Globus, it is a North American oriented company, we did Austria and Switzerland which included the Glacier Express to Zermatt and the Matterhorn.

We just loved the in depth of their tours into the geography, taking us to real local food restaurants.

Cruising is getting blah and repetitive - I am taking a Globus tour of Great Britain in June, 21 days - will see most everything - versus a cruise which only hits specific ports for 8 hrs or so.

Cruises are losing popularity amongst us and our friends - it is not about the $.

It is value for money and cruising is not providing it especially with all the downgrading.

Happy Trails!

I agree with you a lot.  These days I try to go one new ships just for some balance since they go to Caribbean  lot.

But checking in and out of hotels and a different bed almost every night is not so enjoyable.  And a lot of tours feed you at hotels too.  Still, for sightseeing, can't beat a good bus tour.

One of my other favorites was Switzerland as well as Italy.

toodles