New to RCCL - how do I find the cost of a drink package before deposit?

angelwifey

We are considering switching over to RCCL from Carnival, but Royal is not making things easy.  I called reservations to find out what the cost will be for the Deluxe drink package so I can get an idea, but the agent said they can only give the cost of what it is to purchase on board ($99 per day + gratuity) but after deposit it may be different. She refused to say if it could/would be more or less after deposit. 

I understand the concepts of costs changing and its not a matter of being affordable, but before I put (nonrefundable) money down on something, I want to fully know what to expect as it could be a decision maker. 

Plus my husband is a numbers guy and looks at everything to make sure we are getting the most bang for our buck. 

Any advice?

Edited by angelwifey
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, angelwifey said:

She refused to say if it could/would be more or less after deposit. 

Welcome to CC.

That's because she doesn't know, no one does. The price of the package (as is almost everything in the planner) is dynamic - it could go up/down between when you book and when you go into the planner a few minutes later to book something.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

It varies by ship so there's really no way to know for sure, but I have yet to see it be $99/person/day before sailing. Newer ships tend to have more expensive packages than older ones so Oasis, Quantum, and Icon class will come with a higher drinks package price tag. My Harmony sailing in February has largely ping-ponged between $78 and $83. Based on recent CC observations, this seems to be on the higher side. It dropped to $73 this past week so I bought at that price and will keep monitoring it. If you plan for $83/person/day, that's probably the most you'd pay unless you're looking at the brand new Icon.

29 minutes ago, angelwifey said:

We are considering switching over to RCCL from Carnival, but Royal is not making things easy.  I called reservations to find out what the cost will be for the Deluxe drink package so I can get an idea, but the agent said they can only give the cost of what it is to purchase on board ($99 per day + gratuity) but after deposit it may be different. She refused to say if it could/would be more or less after deposit. 

I understand the concepts of costs changing and its not a matter of being affordable, but before I put (nonrefundable) money down on something, I want to fully know what to expect as it could be a decision maker. 

Plus my husband is a numbers guy and looks at everything to make sure we are getting the most bang for our buck. 

Any advice?

I have a carnival booking and I find it aggravating excursions are never on sale. Things are a set price. On rcl things can change hour by hour or day to day. I wait for black Friday sales to book excursions and specials. Lunches were 40% off. Excursions 30% off.

Drink and dining pkgs on rcl depend on demand. Can be higher or lower than average. Newer ships general have higher prices. 

I prefer the watching and looking for the best prices than carnival who I pay more because no sales on what I want. ..but dynamic pricing is how royal does it .. if you hate watching for the best price royal isnt for you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wait for black Friday sales to book excursions and specials.

This is generally good advice, but a word of caution to go ahead and book if you see something within your price range earlier because sometimes Black Friday is not the best price. You can always cancel and rebook if the price drops (so long as it's more than 2 days before sailing), but you can't travel back in time and book at a price that's gone. I was fine for my upcoming cruise as the drink prices dropped after black Friday and excursion prices were def cheapest so far on Black Friday, but I cost myself about $140 extra on the drink package for our Oasis sailing last year because I waited until Black Friday. The week before was actually the lowest price.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's definitely a different business model than we are used to, but obviously its working for them. 

The majority of our cruising is on higher end lines (river cruises or Windstar in Europe), but when we stay within the US it's 90% Carnival because we mostly do short Mexico or Caribbean weekend cruises. In all instances we know what we are paying (all in) at the time of booking and if a cruise price drops, that's great- more shopping money! 🙂 The concept of not really knowing the "all-in" price prior to booking just seems kind of odd. If I go according to the $99/per day rate that means I'm going to potentially spend $4,500 on this cruise (5 night cruise on the Mariner, suite, drink package, dining extras).  If I under estimate, we can still pay it but it may mean going over the allotted vacation budget which we dislike doing. 

Certainly gives us something to think about! We may end up at an all inclusive instead.

Edited by angelwifey

18 minutes ago, angelwifey said:

If I go according to the $99/per day rate that means I'm going to potentially spend $4,500 on this cruise (5 night cruise on the Mariner, suite, drink package, dining extras)

You mentioned a Suite….you may not need a drink package. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-suites-program?

1 hour ago, angelwifey said:

Certainly gives us something to think about! We may end up at an all inclusive instead.

Over maybe a $20 pppd difference you wouldnt book a cruise, ok. I don't get someone who could afford a suite and then wouldnt book over the price of drinks, but again ok. You will get free drinks during happy hour, with or without the pkg. 

I have mariner booked and my price is a over 55 price. I guess its assumed seniors dont drink as much. There is a thread on this recently, new senior rates for the drink pkg. 

This is the price for may 6 mariner before I board. .. 

20231229_160157444.jpeg

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Over maybe a $20 pppd difference you wouldnt book a cruise, ok. I don't get someone who could afford a suite and then wouldnt book over the price of drinks, but again ok. You will get free drinks during happy hour, with or without the pkg. 

I have mariner booked and my price is a over 55 price. I guess its assumed seniors dont drink as much. There is a thread on this recently, new senior rates for the drink pkg. 

This is the price for may 6 mariner before I board. .. 

20231229_160157444.jpeg

From what I have read, the price of the drink package is between $55-$105/pppd. That’s quite a fluctuating price difference. For this particular cruise, I’m not sure $1,000 for the drink package is worth it. And like I said, it will potentially bring the cost to $4500 which, again, for this particular sailing and ship I’m not sure it’s worth the cost. 

8 hours ago, angelwifey said:

Any advice?

The first post in this thread lets you know how to access the cruise planner for any ship and sailing whether you are booked or not to find out the exact price.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The first post in this thread lets you know how to access the cruise planner for any ship and sailing whether you are booked or not to find out the exact price.

This has to be the most useful piece of advice I have seen on Cruise Critic in the history of Cruise Critic! 

Thank you. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, angelwifey said:

That’s quite a fluctuating price difference. For this particular cruise, I’m not sure $1,000 for the drink package is worth it. And like I said, it will potentially bring the cost to $4500 which, again, for this particular sailing and ship I’m not sure it’s worth the cost. 

You don't have to have a drink package. Just pay as you go. 

There's lots of free non alcoholic drink options, tea, coffee, iced water, flavoured waters, hot chocolate. Plus you can bring one bottle wine per adult on board. 

When we first started cruising they had a wine and beer package which was a reasonable cost.

We've only had full drink package once when it was included in the price (Different cruiseline).  

Edited by sgmn