Laundry Bag

JaniceB

3 minutes ago, JaniceB said:

Does anyone have a picture of the laundry bag itself?  Is it fabric, paper or something else?

Thanks in advance

Untitled.jpeg.793ba554b5ec0e13c06d9add05d11fa7.jpeg

It is fabric.

And here is a random thread talking about how much will fit in it.

It's a great value for us!

• Like 2

This is what fits in the laundry bag: 2 long sleeve dress shirts, 2 short sleeve dress shirts,1 pair athletic shorts, 2 pair yoga pants, 4 pair jeans, 1 tshirt...12 pair socks and 12 undergarments folded in a basket.  HAL does an excellent job with laundry!IMG_6316.thumb.jpeg.b5bd4b938261e9c27011922189ab23d9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One last thought-it sort of depends on where you're cruising, your activity level and the weather. Cool weather and not doing anything very strenuous, you can wear something a couple of times. If you're taking tours through a steamy, hot jungle and trying to go light on the packing, you might like the unlimited option.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JaniceB said:

Thank you everyone. The bag seems to hold a lot not sure I need unlimited 

I see from your posting history, that you will indeed be "taking tours through a steamy, hot jungle" for some part of a total of 6 weeks. (!)

As a long-time "wash by the bag" cruiser, I think I would try to pack enough to get me through the travel-time and the first 2-week leg of your B2B, then bite the bullet and do Unlimited for the 28-day Amazon. You can quickly do up the laundry from the first leg early on the second, then send out those sweaty clothes, even daily, from there on.

ETA: I am remembering land-trips through Thailand & Cambodia, also southern India, where our routine of wearing tops twice and trousers up to four times, FELL APART. The stickiness made re-wearing clothing distasteful! We were reduced to turning in laundry as soon as we got to any lodging where we would spent two nights, and marking it EXPRESS.

You don't have to book the laundry plan ahead, the slip has a box you check (on that first order on the later cruise) for Unlimited. You can get a second (or third!) laundry bag from your stewards. Remember that HAL is very good about following special care requests, even air-dry (allow an extra day for air-dry to be returned to you).

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I see from your posting history, that you will indeed be "taking tours through a steamy, hot jungle" for some part of a total of 6 weeks. (!)

As a long-time "wash by the bag" cruiser, I think I would try to pack enough to get me through the travel-time and the first 2-week leg of your B2B, then bite the bullet and do Unlimited for the 28-day Amazon. You can quickly do up the laundry from the first leg early on the second, then send out those sweaty clothes, even daily, from there on.

ETA: I am remembering land-trips through Thailand & Cambodia, also southern India, where our routine of wearing tops twice and trousers up to four times, FELL APART. The stickiness made re-wearing clothing distasteful! We were reduced to turning in laundry as soon as we got to any lodging where we would spent two nights, and marking it EXPRESS.

You don't have to book the laundry plan ahead, the slip has a box you check (on that first order on the later cruise) for Unlimited. You can get a second (or third!) laundry bag from your stewards. Remember that HAL is very good about following special care requests, even air-dry (allow an extra day for air-dry to be returned to you).

Thank you is a good point and my DH is complaining about overpacking. If he is willing to pay it will be a win win

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

do Unlimited for the 28-day Amazon

No personal experience but on one of the recent Grand South America blogs that they were unable to send out laundry for several days when they were actually in the Amazon because of the silt in the water (or was it the low water levels of the river)?

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

No personal experience but on one of the recent Grand South America blogs that they were unable to send out laundry for several days when they were actually in the Amazon because of the silt in the water (or was it the low water levels of the river)?

Yikes! I hadn't thought of that! Well, then, it might depend on the itinerary, @JaniceB -- if you do all the laundry, daily, on the 28-day leg of your B2B, but do have enough outfits to get through that first 2-weeks, you can probably plan it out to have clean clothes when they halt laundry service. Then go back to sending in for the trip back through the Caribbean.

I just looked at the itinerary, and that might work... I know it seems wrong to pay for days you can't use the service (perhaps they recompensed something?), but if it helps to reduce packing, you might still think of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

...because of the silt in the water (or was it the low water levels of the river)?

Neither. It's because ships are prohibited from 'making' water when close to shore.