Can't log into HAL

darstamp

If none of the above work, try clearing your DNS resolver cache. To do this on Wndows, in the 'Search' box type cmd. Open 'Command Prompt' (a black window will pop up), type ipconfig /flushdns and hit your 'enter' key.

2 hours ago, darstamp said:

I have been unable to get into the Holland America website for several days.  Have gone to the login link and submitted my e-mail address and account number with no success. Any suggestions?

I can't access the HAL website on my computer.  Haven't been able to for months.  I've tried all the suggestions that others have made here for "fixing" the issue.  No good.  I can access via incognito, however, but I don't like having to take an extra step every time I want to go there.  I believe the issue is on HAL's end.  

We recently booked excursions on our upcoming cruise using my husband's desktop computer (after trying to access website from my computer for weeks).

I really wish they'd figure out what's wrong.

• Like 1

There was a major change overnight with some nifty new features.  I hope this marks a halt in tinkering for a little while.  Log in seems to be working and I am not getting the error messages.  I was able to complete a variety of tasks without being expelled🫨

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

There was a major change overnight with some nifty new features.  I hope this marks a halt in tinkering for a little while.  Log in seems to be working and I am not getting the error messages.  I was able to complete a variety of tasks without being expelled🫨

Nope.  I still can only get to the main (1st) page.  Once I click on ANYTHING, the screen greys out and I get the spinning circle of death.

8 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Nope.  I still can only get to the main (1st) page.  Once I click on ANYTHING, the screen greys out and I get the spinning circle of death.

How old is your computer?  Mac or PC?  Do you have a fast internet connection? The new website requires more computing "horsepower" than earlier - sometimes older machines or slow connections have a hard time keeping up.  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

8 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

How old is your computer?  Mac or PC?  Do you have a fast internet connection? The new website requires more computing "horsepower" than earlier - sometimes older machines or slow connections have a hard time keeping up.  

Had to check with my "computer guy"  (husband)  as I'm not tech-y literate.  That's his skill in life.  Computer is 2 years old.  Laptop.  Very fast computer connection.  

Edited by Shmoo here

10 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Had to check with my "computer guy"  (husband)  as I'm not tech-y literate.  That's his skill in life.  Computer is 2 years old.  Laptop.  Very fast computer connection.  

If you can access the site from a different computer and using incognito mode - then I suspect you have ad blockers, or pop-up blockers or something running.   If the problem was with HAL - then many people would have problems - I never have a problem and many others don't as well.  

The fact that HAL chooses to have a very fancy website with all types of pop-ups makes it more difficult to use -is THEIR problem - simpler websites are always better IMHO - but I would check out your pop up and ad blockers 

3 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you can access the site from a different computer and using incognito mode - then I suspect you have ad blockers, or pop-up blockers or something running.   If the problem was with HAL - then many people would have problems - I never have a problem and many others don't as well.  

The fact that HAL chooses to have a very fancy website with all types of pop-ups makes it more difficult to use -is THEIR problem - simpler websites are always better IMHO - but I would check out your pop up and ad blockers 

We've already checked my adblocker.  Holland America is on the allowed list.  

4 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

What do the scores mean ?

They are relative scores that reflect the video performance of your device - no units - just a relative scale - If you take the test and your computer is very low - you may have trouble  with certain websites that are graphically intensive.   But with a 2 year old machine - probably not a problem.   HAL's site has a lot of fancy pop up videos and screen splashes, which some security blockers and ad blockers don't like etc....I removed all my blockers and similar - they were more trouble than they were worth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

They are relative scores that reflect the video performance of your device - no units - just a relative scale - If you take the test and your computer is very low - you may have trouble  with certain websites that are graphically intensive.   But with a 2 year old machine - probably not a problem.   HAL's site has a lot of fancy pop up videos and screen splashes, which some security blockers and ad blockers don't like etc....I removed all my blockers and similar - they were more trouble than they were worth.

If, indeed, it's my blocker (only have one), HAL is the only site I have problems with.  

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

If, indeed, it's my blocker (only have one), HAL is the only site I have problems with.  

It could be your blocker.  I have a single website, my financial site, that I need to turn off my cross website blocking - not even for the whole site just to view the bonds available- weird, right?   At least they warn you and give you workaround instructions 

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It could be your blocker.  I have a single website, my financial site, that I need to turn off my cross website blocking - not even for the whole site just to view the bonds available- weird, right?   At least they warn you and give you workaround instructions 

Even when I turned off my blocker, I couldn't access the HAL website on my laptop.  We can, however, get there on my husband's desktop.  

On 12/29/2023 at 2:50 PM, Shmoo here said:

I can't access the HAL website on my computer.  Haven't been able to for months.  I've tried all the suggestions that others have made here for "fixing" the issue.  No good.  I can access via incognito, however, but I don't like having to take an extra step every time I want to go there.  I believe the issue is on HAL's end.  

We recently booked excursions on our upcoming cruise using my husband's desktop computer (after trying to access website from my computer for weeks).

I really wish they'd figure out what's wrong.

dup

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

What's the make and model of your laptop?  What browser do you use?

It is likely a browser setting instead of the blocker.  Browsers have fairly sophisticated settings now and if they are set high it can cause grief. 

• Like 2