Limelight Club .. is it worth a try?

Presto2

We are on Britannia soon and there is availability for the Limelight Club. We have never tried this before but having read a few reviews some of you seem to have enjoyed it, as did a friend on her recent cruise. It is Chesney Hawkes performing .. not really heard of him .. or Ray Quinn. 

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks as ever every one.

It is a difficult question to answer as everyone's tastes vary.

We have been to the Limelight Club on Britannia twice and enjoyed it the first time (which was Ray Quinn) but less so the second time (forget who was performing)

The food OK - slightly better than the MDR but we found that the service was a bit on the slow side but this was shortly after the restart when there were staffing problems throughout the ship.

I would say that if you have never been then it is worth going just for a different dining experience and then make up your own mind after that - unless there is somebody that you really want to see.

Be aware though that some passengers start queuing to get in over half an hour before the doors open!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

It is a difficult question to answer as everyone's tastes vary.

We have been to the Limelight Club on Britannia twice and enjoyed it the first time (which was Ray Quinn) but less so the second time (forget who was performing)

The food OK - slightly better than the MDR but we found that the service was a bit on the slow side but this was shortly after the restart when there were staffing problems throughout the ship.

I would say that if you have never been then it is worth going just for a different dining experience and then make up your own mind after that - unless there is somebody that you really want to see.

Be aware though that some passengers start queuing to get in over half an hour before the doors open!

Why queue early? Seats.close to the act? If so that suits us as we'd prefer to be as far away as possible ,-)

We've done it just once, in September 2022 on Britannia, and that was just because there were eight of us and we wanted to do something different as a group, and the act, Four Poofs And A Piano, appealed to us. We enjoyed the act but the food was just so-so. 

Many of the z-listers they have on do not appeal to us whatsoever.  I understand Ray Quinn puts on a decent show though.

@Presto2, if you haven't done it before and you want to see what the appeal is, go ahead and book it. You only live once! At least, if you book ahead and benefit from the 20% discount and your Peninsula discount, you won't feel so bad if you discover it's not for you.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've had my best fillet steak (on a cruise) in Limelight club. Was better than Epicurean

Desserts were great as well

I consider the quality of meal well in excess of MDR. This was on Arvia

And entertainment has to be good to get in there

We've seen Eric and Ernie and Mary Mac in there. Both great.

Never heard bad reviews for any of the acts

We would always look to book when we cruise

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've just checked and it is already completely booked for both weeks other than our last night so we will give it a miss! Oh well, something for another time perhaps 🙂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We've just checked and it is already completely booked for both weeks other than our last night so we will give it a miss! Oh well, something for another time perhaps 🙂

You might even find like me the last night isn't even your last night. It might be the last day when you've actually already left the ship as I've booked that in error before!

It kind of shows how good limelight club is though

As most pre-booking will be repeat cruisers who know it's a great night for a great price

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You might even find like me the last night isn't even your last night. It might be the last day when you've actually already left the ship as I've booked that in error before!

It kind of shows how good limelight club is though

As most pre-booking will be repeat cruisers who know it's a great night for a great price

Its our last night and others' first night we think. Evenso too late in the cruise. Never mind always another time God willing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It was rubbish on Arvia. 

took 2 hours for food to come out and food was tiny portions and boring. He didn’t sing until after food. 

ray quin almost put me and the gf to sleep with his singing. Good chance you will be seated in the back unless you want to queue up early. 

depends if this your thing or not. 

Edited by Pandamonia
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We are on Britannia soon and there is availability for the Limelight Club. We have never tried this before but having read a few reviews some of you seem to have enjoyed it, as did a friend on her recent cruise. It is Chesney Hawkes performing .. not really heard of him .. or Ray Quinn. 

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks as ever every one.

We saw Chesney Hawkes in the Limelight on Britannia.  He was much ,much better than we anticipated. Would go again. Have you not heard " I am the one and only ". If not, you will.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

It was rubbish on Arvia. 

took 2 hours for food to come out and food was tiny portions and boring. He didn’t sing until after food. 

ray quin almost put me and the gf to sleep with his singing. Good chance you will be seated in the back unless you want to queue up early. 

depends if this your thing or not. 

Goodness. Sounds like there was not much that you did enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you want to see the act then book it but you need to do it as soon as reservations open. You can try asking in board, they might hold some seats for those who don't do the internet, and they have a waiting list you can join in case there are cancellations

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Goodness. Sounds like there was not much that you did enjoy.

probably the biggest disappointment of the things I booked. 

after 2 hours waiting and a bottle of wine the chance of enjoying the singing was long gone. Something had clearly gone wrong as the duration was 2 hours on the planner and it went on for well over 3. We walked out at 10:15pm having been there since 7:20. 

• Thanks 1

We are sailing on Britannia on 26th Jan on a two week cruise will the limelight have a different show each week or the same show for the fortnight? Is it also best to book in advance pre cruise?

I take it it’s first to arrive have the pick of the seating? and are there tables for two?

thanks.

7 minutes ago, mklions said:

We are sailing on Britannia on 26th Jan on a two week cruise will the limelight have a different show each week or the same show for the fortnight? Is it also best to book in advance pre cruise?

I take it it’s first to arrive have the pick of the seating? and are there tables for two?

thanks.

We get off as you get on. Definitely book before as it has sold out quickly. Same for speciality dining. It opened 2 days earlier than we expected and best spots sold out fast. 

21 minutes ago, mklions said:

will the limelight have a different show each week or the same show for the fortnight?

It usually changes mid cruise with the act staying on for the first week of the next cruise, as does the menu.

23 minutes ago, mklions said:

I take it it’s first to arrive have the pick of the seating?

When we visited the Limelight you were allocated a table when you checked in - the first in the queue having the pick of the tables.

25 minutes ago, mklions said:

are there tables for two?

Most tables are for two.

Having done a little bit of research on Limelight, I'm a little apprehensive about trying it to be honest as the menu doesn't seem at all enticing.. The sample menu seems to offer very limited choice (1 or 2 options).. Is there an option to go in just for the entertainment and no meal or is it a package deal, as it were?

To the best of my recollection from our only visit to the Limelight Club, on Britannia, the menu was limited; one each of meat, fish, and vegetarian.  My daughter had to have a special GF meal prepared.

You won't get any discount for not having the meal, it comes as a package.  I don't even know if they would allow you entry after the meal service has finished.

The meal is excellent IMO - similar to celebration meals in MDR at least

Seeing as the limelight club is sold out throughout normally there won't be prices for going there without a meal

You could of course have buffet before you go in and not eat the meal if you don't fancy it

Posted (edited)

We love the Limelight Club and always book if there is an artiste we want to see. Although we sometimes take a chance if it is someone we do not really know.

We have found the food to be reliably excellent (ok, not a wide choice but the food itself was certainly special enough and was far better than the usual MDR fayre and the P&O attempts at the MDR celebration night menus). For us it has always been a lovely, informal and glorious evening. Well worth it. 

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 4