LIVE-Prima Feb 2-9, 2024 from Galveston-Western Caribbean with PICs, Haven (HE)

Cruiseny4life many thanks for your response.  It is what I suspected, and I am glad to have clear confirmation.  Do you know if we can purchase the + package on the ship (say day 2 after we have had a chance to see what is actually available?) and if so, do you happen to know the cost? Again, thanks for getting back to me...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Charon13 said:

Cruiseny4life many thanks for your response.  It is what I suspected, and I am glad to have clear confirmation.  Do you know if we can purchase the + package on the ship (say day 2 after we have had a chance to see what is actually available?) and if so, do you happen to know the cost? Again, thanks for getting back to me...

You can only upgrade to the plus package on the first day.

Also if on the regular package, note that the upcharges are generally less in the Haven venues than elsewhere on the ship.

1 hour ago, Charon13 said:

I'm not sure that's worth while.  A particular spirit maybe available on day one and gone on day three.  You have no idea of how many bottles are in stock and what the serving rate is.

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If you have Unlimited Open Bar Package, the price on the menu is the upcharge price.

say what?

if you have the drinks package, you get a $15 subsidy, so to speak. so the price on the menu is not the upcharge price, it's the "full" price, the retail price that most people don't pay.

the "upcharge" is the difference above $15 plus the gratuity on that additional amount.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:41 AM, graphicguy said:

There are some menus floating around here somewhere for FAS and FAS+.  Haven Bar Menu is the same as anywhere else on the ship.  Plus, the brands of liquors seem to be in flu depending on the ship and the itinerary.  I don't anything definitive.

The Haven Bar only differs that their mixologists are exactly that.  And, they are excellent. You can get drinks from them you can't get anywhere else on the ship.  Just request something from them and they'll make it, if they have the ingredients.  I know of some who actually mix their own flavor additives.

There's not a menu of what they can or can't make, though.

This was not our experience, there was a white wine, Pinot Grigio I believe, that my wife only got from the Haven bar and nowhere else had it. Also kombucha was only in the Haven.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Looking like 60ºs for sailaway next week.  Could be wet.  But hey...it's a cruise...to the Caribbean.  How bad can it be?

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Galveston+TX?canonicalCityId=4c51593396fadc0c3533181c30ddfed34f5b15cdf0254660238395743b6ec8e8

When cruising the Caribbean I kind of like this guy, who was referred to me by another NY cruiser, not a sponsor, lol

https://www.youtube.com/@MrWeatherman

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Just did a quick look-see about Galveston.  February looks to be all sold out for NCL cruises out of Galveston!

Time for the single digital dance, woohoo.  FYI only in case you wish to consider - prices on her Spring TA dropping, Haven & suites, club balconies with good availabilities and already got 80 CC'er for the M&G (not running/organizing - whew, just sitting back) ... anyway, got a favor to ask (don't have the first-hand knowledge/answers for other folks on that roll call) if you got time.  Can you take a quick look on the latest with Prima's onboard digital library (yes, they've gone virtual & not sure how "extensive" (I know, it's a relative phrase used) the collection and what is the library app needed to access, reserve & download it.   If someone on the Prima lately has first hand info, that'll work for the TA gang asking ... Not a deal breaker, just another excuse to book & sail to kick the tin cans and explore parts of the ship.  

Here in NY, the Getaway isn't selling that well this winter (aside from school breaks) doing the 10 or 12 days, can't figure out the logics behind the Bermuda 5 days loop ... aside from a near CruiseToNowhere (CTN) experience with $$ port fees.  Beats dealing with the cold, ice & windy chills - rain & shower off/on for 5 out 7 days ahead, maybe 6.   

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:48 AM, RocketMan275 said:

I just finished my checkin around 0900.  No website issues.  Even accepted my pictures from last year.

We were told in November at Haven check-in pre-boarding, that NCL no longer uses pre-cruise online check-in photos.  They’ve gone back to taking your photo at the pier.  When I asked why, they said too many passengers were downloading older photos of themselves or even pictures of others, animals, etc.  Hard to believe, isn’t it?  Now we just ignore downloading our photos ahead of time, as they’ll take them, anyway, at the pier.

• Haha 3

On 1/20/2024 at 4:14 PM, Charon13 said:

Hopefully this isn't a redundant question AND apologies for jumping into the middle of y'alls cruise conversation...

Looking at the Haven Bar menu I see a section called Premium Plus Selection (see page 4 on the attached) which lists rums, gins, scotch, etc with prices next to them.  If we have the standard Unlimited Open Bar Package (ie dinks up to $15) is the price indicated on the menu the upcharge price?  To complicate this question we are looking at upgrading to the Premium Plus Beverage Package (my wife enjoys a nice champagne and I am fond of a nice scotch or whisky after dinner).  If we have the Plus package would those items on the Haven Bar menu with prices be available to us without an upcharge?  We did an NCL cruise a couple of years ago with the Plus package and everything on the ship from Veuve to Macallan Quest was available without an upcharge is this still the case?

Menu NCL Bar-Haven.pdf 1.62 MB · 12 downloads

To decide if upgrading to premium plus is worth it, just check the current list of wines and other alcohols for each package.  Veuve Clicquot, for example, is no longer available ship-wide (now only in Le Bistro), and the rosé on offer just isn’t as good.  Very disappointing.  

17 hours ago, PatJim said:

We were told in November at Haven check-in pre-boarding, that NCL no longer uses pre-cruise online check-in photos.  They’ve gone back to taking your photo at the pier.  When I asked why, they said too many passengers were downloading older photos of themselves or even pictures of others, animals, etc.  Hard to believe, isn’t it?  Now we just ignore downloading our photos ahead of time, as they’ll take them, anyway, at the pier.

Hmmmm...I guess they didn't like the photo of my dog and I or the photo of me in my bath robe. I'm glad my actions caused NCL to update the way they do it!! 🤡

• Haha 3

On 1/19/2024 at 11:31 AM, graphicguy said:

Bourbons....I know they have Buffalo Trace (my preferred bourbon) and 1792 (like it, too).  They have Woodford, which is extra charge.  I wouldn't pay more for Woodford, ever.

I also found if you. tell them what you want, they'll make it.  But, the Haven doesn't have "drink of the day" (DOTD) like they do at the pool bars.  Those are mostly pre-mixed, anyway.

The Haven does a great smoked Old Fashion. 

• Like 1