Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’d be very happy with those.

Looking again it does look ok

Asparagus soup

Steak pie and mash

Rhubarb and ginger crumble with vanilla ice cream

I'm initially thinking that's a lot of calories. But I no doubt eat far more in the buffet

The MDR lunches actually do make sense on sea days when there's plenty of time to enjoy them 

We weren’t overly enamoured with the lunch menu so went to the Glasshouse. I had the Indian Feast. Wouldn’t have it again but at £4.50 who can complain. In fact we were just saying that whilst we appreciate that the prices are supplements, as you have already paid for lunch elsewhere in the cruise fare, the prices are around one-third of what we pay at home. 

IMG_1016.jpeg

• Like 20

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We weren’t overly enamoured with the lunch menu so went to the Glasshouse. I had the Indian Feast. Wouldn’t have it again but at £4.50 who can complain. In fact we were just saying that whilst we appreciate that the prices are supplements, as you have already paid for lunch elsewhere in the cruise fare, the prices are around one-third of what we pay at home. 

IMG_1016.jpeg

They've made some effort there

And I've paid not much less than that for a bottle of water in the motorway services!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

IMG_1016.jpeg

That looks lovely.

6 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Last night at dinner, a 'young' chap (all relative, he was under 50 😉) shared that a member of staff he'd spoken with said the average age of passengers on board our cruise was 77, which I can imagine being accurate.  

I had to return to my earlier post to say that after this being the first day when I’ve walked around many areas of the ship, inside and out, I now doubt the above as ‘fact’ - Chinese whispers at work maybe?  Certainly it’s an older demographic on board for sure, but that seems like a high number.  So, @TigerB, you and your lass may not be the ‘teenagers’ on your cruise 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Interestedcruisefan, make sure you do try the MDR for lunch on your next cruise. It is indeed a far more relaxed experience than the cattle market that is Horizon. Of the menus posted by our venerable thread host, there are several items that we would choose, even if it's just something light and a dessert.

Try it, you won't look back! 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:48 AM, yorkshirephil said:

We had buffet lunch on Aurora in October as there were so many higher tier members. It was packed and long queues to get served, if we had known the situation beforehand we would have gone to the normal buffet as that must have been empty when we boarded at 12:30.

We were on that cruise too and did exactly that - walked out at the sight of the "special buffet" queues and went to the "normal" buffet.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:55 AM, Selbourne said:

I suspect that Avomine is available as it was on Ventura, but we still have Stugeron left and that’s the only medication that has a 100% success rate for me. Will try to get Cinarizina in Funchal if that’s the same. 

Avomine? - how did they come up with a name like that? I assume it's a cut-down of "anti-vomit"!

• Haha 2

Good news. We’ve found the extra stash of Stugeron. We had put a supply of all critical medications in my wife’s handbag just in case the small case with the full  medicine cabinet went missing, and completely forgot about it. Phew!

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Good news. We’ve found the extra stash of Stugeron. We had put a supply of all critical medications in my wife’s handbag just in case the small case with the full  medicine cabinet went missing, and completely forgot about it. Phew!

So much like us. 

Posted (edited)

DAY 4 - Saturday 6th January- Sea Day

We woke to much calmer seas (force 4) and the sun had come out for more than a fleeting appearance, resulting in a comparatively balmy 16 degrees by mid morning. 

The MDR is far quicker to get in to for breakfast than it was on Ventura but, once seated, service is slow. I asked for a pot of decaf tea, as the hot drinks service is sparse, but they can’t do that apparently (they can if they want to, as we have discovered previously). I had my first hot breakfast of the cruise with Eggs Benedict. You can tell that I am feeling better!

Having collected Britain Today, I asked at reception if there were going to be shuttles at Port Canaveral or Miami, but they don’t know yet 🤔. I managed to get Lady S out on to the promenade deck for the first time, but one lap was enough for her (even in a wheelchair with me pushing)🙄. We then sat on our balcony for a bit. We had the sun on our side and it was quite pleasant. The balcony glass and doors are covered with salt from all the spray of the past 2 days, so if the steward (who I have yet to warm to) doesn’t clean them I shall wipe them over with a wet towel!

Neither of us were terribly taken with the MDR lunch menu, so we went to the Glasshouse. I had the Indian Feast which was vegetarian (which I’m not). I wouldn’t choose it again but, as I posted yesterday, it’s so cheap it doesn’t matter. My wife had the sliders which she liked. I was very envious of her fresh and piping hot French fries 😂. We both washed lunch down with a glass of Money Spider. We didn’t have a pud as we decided to go to the Costa (Raffles?) and you get a freebie cake there. I had a piece of Carrot Cake with my coffee but I couldn’t manage it all. My wife, being virtuous (moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips type), abstained from a cake but hoovered up the bit that I left 🙄. The choice of complimentary cakes, pastries and other things is far better on Aurora than on the other 3 P&O ships we’ve been on over the last year. 

At 3pm we went to a talk on flags which included a brief history of the Union (Jack) flag. It didn’t sound like the most exciting subject, but I found it very interesting. Afterwards I managed seven and a half laps of the promenade deck, during which time I spoke to a chap who is out there a lot with his camera poised for wildlife. He hasn’t seen anything himself yet, but another passenger told him that they’d seen dolphins briefly and a few whale blows. Maybe they were just winding him up 😂 

On the way back to the cabin I passed the torture chamber (gym) and decided to check it out. Whether it was the body odour of those on the machines, or all of those prostrate on the floor with their shoes off (or a combination of the two) I don’t know, but there was a really unpleasant stench in there. That’s all the excuse I need to give it a wide berth for the remainder of the cruise 😂 

The second classical recital was on at 5pm in the Playhouse. My wife still didn’t fancy it. I couldn’t help but notice a few people with quite persistent coughs. I hope that’s not a sign of things to come. As P&O are so fastidious about Covid and Norovirus, perhaps they should add persistent coughs to the things that are grounds for cabin confinement 😂. Maybe it’s just me, but if I had a persistent cough I wouldn’t attend an intimate classical recital where it would become distracting to the performers, as well as other guests 🙄. Whilst there is no doubting the talent of the two musicians, I was a little disappointed to hear that they are remaining on the ship for the transatlantic crossing. The flute is far from my favourite instrument, and it would have been nice to have had a change, such as a violinist. Still, better a flautist than nothing. 

At 7pm there was a Soul and Motown set by Pulse in Carmens. We don’t like the aft show lounges on any of the ships (not great sight lines and poor for wheelchairs) but gave it a go. We got a good position at the front and ordered a mojito each. The Pulse band on this ship aren’t the best we’ve seen. A bit pitchy in places, but a good choice of toe tapping songs. I hadn’t realised that people would get up and dance during the set and, as we were in the front, this was right in front of us. Having been with my wife for 35 years, 25 years of which have seen her disability take more and more hold of her to the point that she now cannot even stand, let alone dance, I could read her mind so asked if she’d like to go somewhere else and, of course, she did. We moved to the Crows Nest but by the time we got there we realised that there wasn’t really enough time to have another drink, so we paid a brief visit to the library but, as is to be expected, all the good stuff has long gone. 

Dinner at 8pm and I had roast beef, which was cooked to perfection. I’d asked for some extra veg and the waiters duly obliged. It looks as though our missing 4 guests will never appear. I’m guessing that they wanted early dining, didn’t get it, and are using the buffet? 

The show was the ventriloquist Gareth Oliver. Neither of us wanted to go but as it wasn’t late I took my wife back to the cabin and decided to pop down on my own, conscious that we had dismissed him without having seen his act. I should have got a clue from the fact that the theatre was only about one third full but I’m afraid that I just didn’t find him in the least bit funny. I noticed a few people leaving so as I was sat towards the back and didn’t have to disturb anyone, I did the same. Just not our thing I’m afraid. 

It’s worth saying that for someone who dislikes sea days and particularly dislikes feeling sea sick, I have coped far better with the 3 sea days down to Madeira than I did on Ventura. I think it’s been a combination of two things. Firstly, I am telling myself that we aren’t on a normal cruise, but living somewhere different for nine and a half weeks. Sounds daft but I think it helps. Secondly, having the internet package has helped me enormously. As well as managing my life as if at home and keeping abreast of news and current affairs (which, given the atrocious TV picture and sound, has been a godsend), I have enjoyed keeping in touch with family and friends and, of course, boring all of you rigid with my ramblings 😂. Time will tell if the 5 days transatlantic once we leave Madeira will pass as easily. 

The forecast for Madeira is 21 degrees but with light rain all day. We aim to wander around Funchal in the morning (@daiB I will keep an eye out for you) and then, after lunch, I’m taking a tour, as I’ve never seen anything of Madeira beyond Funchal. Also, I want to have a full day ashore before our 5 consecutive sea days as we traverse the Atlantic to our second stop, Bermuda. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 4 - Saturday 6th January- Sea Day

We woke to much calmer seas (force 4) and the sun had come out for more than a fleeting appearance, resulting in a comparatively balmy 16 degrees by mid morning. 

The MDR is far quicker to get in to for breakfast than it was on Ventura but, once seated, service is slow. I asked for a pot of decaf tea, as the hot drinks service is sparse, but they can’t do that apparently (they can if they want to, as we have discovered previously). I had my first hot breakfast of the cruise with Eggs Benedict. You can tell that I am feeling better!

Having collected Britain Today, I asked at reception if there were going to be shuttles at Port Canaveral or Miami, but they don’t know yet 🤔. I managed to get Lady S out on to the promenade deck for the first time, but one lap was enough for her (even in a wheelchair with me pushing)🙄. We then sat on our balcony for a bit. We had the sun on our side and it was quite pleasant. The balcony glass and doors are covered with salt from all the spray of the past 2 days, so if the steward (who I have yet to warm to) doesn’t clean them I shall wipe them over with a wet towel!

Neither of us were terribly taken with the MDR lunch menu, so we went to the Glasshouse. I had the Indian Feast which was vegetarian (which I’m not). I wouldn’t choose it again but, as I posted yesterday, it’s so cheap it doesn’t matter. My wife had the sliders which she liked. I was very envious of her fresh and piping hot French fries 😂. We both washed lunch down with a glass of Money Spider. We didn’t have a pud as we decided to go to the Costa (Raffles?) and you get a freebie cake there. I had a piece of Carrot Cake with my coffee but I couldn’t manage it all. My wife, being virtuous (moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips type), abstained from a cake but hoovered up the bit that I left 🙄. The choice of complimentary cakes, pastries and other things is far better on Aurora than on the other 3 P&O ships we’ve been on over the last year. 

At 3pm we went to a talk on flags which included a brief history of the Union (Jack) flag. It didn’t sound like the most exciting subject, but I found it very interesting. Afterwards I managed seven and a half laps of the promenade deck, during which time I spoke to a chap who is out there a lot with his camera poised for wildlife. He hasn’t seen anything himself yet, but another passenger told him that they’d seen dolphins briefly and a few whale blows. Maybe they were just winding him up 😂 

On the way back to the cabin I passed the torture chamber (gym) and decided to check it out. Whether it was the body odour of those on the machines, or all of those prostrate on the floor with their shoes off (or a combination of the two) I don’t know, but there was a really unpleasant stench in there. That’s all the excuse I need to give it a wide berth for the remainder of the cruise 😂 

The second classical recital was on at 5pm in the Playhouse. My wife still didn’t fancy it. I couldn’t help but notice a few people with quite persistent coughs. I hope that’s not a sign of things to come. As P&O are so fastidious about Covid and Norovirus, perhaps they should add persistent coughs to the things that are grounds for cabin confinement 😂. Maybe it’s just me, but if I had a persistent cough I wouldn’t attend an intimate classical recital where it would become distracting to the performers, as well as other guests 🙄. Whilst there is no doubting the talent of the two musicians, I was a little disappointed to hear that they are remaining on the ship for the transatlantic crossing. The flute is far from my favourite instrument, and it would have been nice to have had a change, such as a violinist. Still, better a flautist than nothing. 

At 7pm there was a Soul and Motown set by Pulse in Carmens. We don’t like the aft show lounges on any of the ships (not great sight lines and poor for wheelchairs) but gave it a go. We got a good position at the front and ordered a mojito each. The Pulse band on this ship aren’t the best we’ve seen. A bit pitchy in places, but a good choice of toe tapping songs. I hadn’t realised that people would get up and dance during the set and, as we were in the front, this was right in front of us. Having been with my wife for 35 years, 25 years of which have seen her disability take more and more hold of her to the point that she now cannot even stand, let alone dance, I could read her mind so asked if she’d like to go somewhere else and, of course, she did. We moved to the Crows Nest but by the time we got there we realised that there wasn’t really enough time to have another drink, so we paid a brief visit to the library but, as is to be expected, all the good stuff has long gone. 

Dinner at 8pm and I had roast beef, which was cooked to perfection. I’d asked for some extra veg and the waiters duly obliged. It looks as though our missing 4 guests will never appear. I’m guessing that they wanted early dining, didn’t get it, and are using the buffet? 

The show was the ventriloquist Gareth Oliver. Neither of us wanted to go but as it wasn’t late I took my wife back to the cabin and decided to pop down on my own, conscious that we had dismissed him without having seen his act. I should have got a clue from the fact that the theatre was only about one third full but I’m afraid that I just didn’t find him in the least bit funny. I noticed a few people leaving so as I was sat towards the back and didn’t have to disturb anyone, I did the same. Just not our thing I’m afraid. 

It’s worth saying that for someone who dislikes sea days and particularly dislikes feeling sea sick, I have coped far better with the 3 sea days down to Madeira than I did on Ventura. I think it’s been a combination of two things. Firstly, I am telling myself that we aren’t on a normal cruise, but living somewhere different for nine and a half weeks. Sounds daft but I think it helps. Secondly, having the internet package has helped me enormously. As well as managing my life as if at home and keeping abreast of news and current affairs (which, given the atrocious TV picture and sound, has been a godsend), I have enjoyed keeping in touch with family and friends and, of course, boring all of you rigid with my ramblings 😂. Time will tell if the 5 days transatlantic once we leave Madeira will pass as easily. 

The forecast for Madeira is 21 degrees but with light rain all day. We aim to wander around Funchal in the morning (@daiB I will keep an eye out for you) and then, after lunch, I’m taking a tour, as I’ve never seen anything of Madeira beyond Funchal. Also, I want to have a full day before our 5 consecutive sea days. 

Check out the daily sandwich in Costa, they are very good and filling.

• Like 2

Another great report, young man!👍

It's handy that your good lady had a 'safe place' for the drugs stash; now you won't have to look out for @mrsgoggins on the quayside in Funchal, or traipse around all the farmácias, hoping that your request doesn't get lost in translation and risk them giving you something for your motions rather than your motion sickness.🤭

I tend to pack a microfibre cloth for the balcony doors and glass; five minutes of my time saves the stress of waiting for the cabin steward to do it.

The flag talk sounds like something I would like.

Enjoy you day on Madeira.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I asked at reception if there were going to be shuttles at Port Canaveral or Miami, but they don’t know yet

Maybe ask at the Excursion desk as they might have information. 
we took the excursion to the Space Centre at Canaveral and it was all on the flat and very interesting seeing the Apollo craft.

Thanks for your report. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 1

I had a very nice curried fish for lunch in the MDR on Aurora in December, not normally something I eat but I enjoyed it. Which I am about to try and reproduce at home, but I can't remember whether it came with rice, chip, potatoes or something else.

Generally I don't have any complaints with the food on P&O, and only once have I had a  rubbery steak.

If you intend visiting the Kennedy Space centre I think I paid just over £100 for a 7 hour excursion.

The transfer busses in KSC itself to the Apollo launch site/control room have wheelchair spaces.