Lunch on board Oceania Marina

SSCAF001

I will sail with my mother (90) for 2 weeks on board Oceania Marina. Since it is a port intensive cruise with only 1 sea day, I assume that the Grand Dining Room will be closed for lunch all the time (except once). My mother having some mobility issue, what are the options if we do not want to have lunch at the Terrace Cafe? Is there a possibility to have a lunch seated at a table without having to walk to a buffet? Thanks.

Do not forget that they serve late lunch/afternoon food in WAVES. And they have servers there. Take your order and bring it to your table. (Also for breakfast. I prefer Waves at breakfast.)

As for the TC, having a 92-year-old mother, when we go out to a buffet, I get/carry her food. Of course, I get the pleasure of doing that for my wife when she says, "Honey, would you go get me another...." I always get my own drinks in the TC. I get an iced tea or milk first and then walk the buffet area to see what they have that meal. And you can usually get a table near the entry doors farthest away from the buffet area.

• Like 3

As @MEFIowa said, you can have lunch at Waves, located between the pool and the Terrace Cafe.  Your mother can sit at at table and you can place your order at the counter.  The food is delivered to your table.  There are servers to bring you drinks.  It is very pleasant to have lunch there.

• Like 1

Food can also be delivered from Waves to the TC. Just order either on your way into TC or once seated and it will be brought to your table.

I also have mobility issues so my OH usually picks lunch for me and one of the waiters brings it to my table. So you really shouldn’t have a problem

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Room service is lovely but surely taking lunch, or any meal, with fellow cruisers is preferable?

Well the OP was inquiring about options due to mobility issues with their 90 year old mother, so providing the Room service menu as an option seemed relevant to the actual inquiry. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Well the OP was inquiring about options due to mobility issues with their 90 year old mother, so providing the Room service menu as an option seemed relevant to the actual inquiry. 

Wasn’t a criticism about room service just an ‘observation’ . Thought that being out and about with other people might be more sociable and enjoyable on a cruise, especially for somebody with mobility issues. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

I will sail with my mother (90) for 2 weeks on board Oceania Marina. Since it is a port intensive cruise with only 1 sea day, I assume that the Grand Dining Room will be closed for lunch all the time (except once). My mother having some mobility issue, what are the options if we do not want to have lunch at the Terrace Cafe? Is there a possibility to have a lunch seated at a table without having to walk to a buffet? Thanks.

If you travel after May refurbishment you will have option of ordering served lunches and breakfasts in Aquamor restaurant which will be added to Marina. We enjoyed it on the new Vista recently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edgee said:

If you travel after May refurbishment you will have option of ordering served lunches and breakfasts in Aquamor restaurant which will be added to Marina. We enjoyed it on the new Vista recently.

Thanks. I will search on internet to figure out what Aquamor is about. 

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

It focuses on healthy food and menu is somewhat limited although we thought it to be quite good and innovative. Realize that Waves and Aquamor are not air conditioned (except for a small section of Aquamor), but Waves staff will deliver ordered food to you at a table in the air conditioned Terrace Cafe which is adjacent. Combine that with meals in Waves where they will deliver food to your table after ordering plus occasional meals in the Terrace buffet at non crowded times when perhaps you can let her select food and bring it to her. I think you will be fine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Room service is lovely but surely taking lunch, or any meal, with fellow cruisers is preferable?

We prefer to dine either at a two top or in our suite.  If you have social anxiety, dining with those you don’t know is uncomfortable to say the least. That’s why we have choices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

If you haven't found it yet: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/vista/culinary-experiences

scroll down to the second row and click the Aquamar Kitchen box. This is Vista's menu since Marina doesn't have it yet, but I would expect the menus to be similar if not the same.

Question for @edgee: Are the "bowls" (usually one selection) and composed salads (usually ~3-4, not including the lettuce based ones) still available in Terrace? The bowls are my spouse's default lunch choice and the salads are mine, so it will be more convenient if they are in Terrace too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If you haven't found it yet: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/vista/culinary-experiences

scroll down to the second row and click the Aquamar Kitchen box. This is Vista's menu since Marina doesn't have it yet, but I would expect the menus to be similar if not the same.

Question for @edgee: Are the "bowls" (usually one selection) and composed salads (usually ~3-4, not including the lettuce based ones) still available in Terrace? The bowls are my spouse's default lunch choice and the salads are mine, so it will be more convenient if they are in Terrace too.

AFAI can recall, nothing has changed it Terrace in terms if offerings, so I think ur spouse will be fine.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Not Edgee but there is still a Bowls section in the Terrace cafe.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PSahoy said:

The room service menu posted in #5 didn’t have any hot items in the breakfast section. I thought O had changed that?

Here's the room service menu from June (any cabin-category, higher also get GDR):

20230615_103524.thumb.jpg.1053f34a190f9acc906edc831314d526.jpg20230615_103533.thumb.jpg.25e956d09eb227d81634bcf07754e325.jpg

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, PSahoy said:

The room service menu posted in #5 didn’t have any hot items in the breakfast section. I thought O had changed that?

"#5" here.   I believe you're right. 

However, the original question was about lunch, and last I looked, *that* info is still current (and I'm too lazy to have masked off the breakfast half of the first page 😉 ).

Edited by Snaefell3

On 1/5/2024 at 1:34 PM, Vallesan said:

Room service can be a good choice especially when you cannot go to dining venues.  On our last cruise, we got to the ship after 3 pm.  (Used Oceania air. ). Waves was crowded. terrace closed. We ordered room service. It came quickly. Food was delicious. Enjoyed dining on our private veranda. You can order from the menu. You can also ask for items not on menu. Usually you can get them.  You can also order room service be delivered to you anywhere on the ship. 

@PSahoy

While that menu may not have had “hot” breakfast items, it would depend on your Stateroom level. Our last trip in a PH, DW had her Eggs Benedict and I an omelette. All delivered within minutes of the time window requested and hot. RS is a no charge item but my understanding is that tips are appreciated because the staff are not included in the daily Gratuity allocation. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

While that menu may not have had “hot” breakfast items, it would depend on your Stateroom level

I'm pretty sure that changed at least a couple of years ago. 

• Like 3

ORV,

We had hot breakfasts on Vista in October but then we were in a PH. We all know, everything is subject to change especially as the cruise lines search for more revenue to pay off debt. 

Mauibabes