Refit schedules

Pies4u

Just wondering - is there a published schedule for Silversea refits/refurbs?

We are looking at a 2026 cruise on Spirit, which was obviously ‘stretched” and refitted in 2018 but I don’t think any significant refurb has occurred since. Is it known if it’s due a refit before March 2026?

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

I try to work it out by looking at the ship I am interested in and looking at the voyages. I will look at a year and tick every month. If 2 months are grayed out it is likely to be a refit 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 11:44 AM, Pies4u said:

We are looking at a 2026 cruise on Spirit, which was obviously ‘stretched” and refitted in 2018 but I don’t think any significant refurb has occurred since. Is it known if it’s due a refit before March 2026?

Good morning, I have never seen a refit schedule anywhere. I agree with drron and would just scroll through Spirit on the website and go month by month. 

Well, that exercise appears to demonstrate that there is nothing scheduled, even a mini one, which is a slight concern.

Hopefully, given some recent comments, any minor concerns with either public areas or individual suites will be addressed in transit where necessary.

Thanks to drron29 & Lois R.

There are rules that require dry-docks on a regular basis:

"For a passenger vessel, the inspection of the ship’s bottom is to be done annually. Two of such inspections in a period of five years must be carried in dry dock and the maximum intervals between these inspections should be 3 years."

https://www.marineinsight.com/guidelines/dry-dock-types-of-dry-docks-requirements-for-dry-dock/#Requirements_for_Dry_Docking

This is about hull inspections, safety checks, and mandated operational upgrades.    

Refurbishing cabins and other hotel items is usually done during a mandated dry dock since the ship is out of service anyway, or on a more limited basis during regular service.

I believe a routine dry dock takes about two weeks, so you should find such a 'hole' in the schedule every two to three years.

• Thanks 2

Some help then please.  I am booked on a Greece/Eastern Europe tour (back to back about 30 days) on the Whisper, in August (stupid, yes I know).  I read here, someone quoting Barbra Muckerman,/that the Whisper is do for a major retrofit this starting this April.  I have looked at the schedule for the Whisper and can't really figure it out.  Or is 2 weeks too short?  The Whisper is the last SS ship to get redone, last time 2018. 

Is all this in fact true?  And if so how extensive will be refurbishment take and what will it consist of.?  Thanks in advance.

There was a prior thread about the re-furbishment of the Whisper and people posted notifications from Silversea of a cruise cancellation and dry dock scheduled for late April to early May 2024. The posts were from February (# 3 and 4 of the thread titled Silver Whisper Drydock....) Not sure if anything has changed - did you look at the April/May schedule?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Some help then please.  I am booked on a Greece/Eastern Europe tour (back to back about 30 days) on the Whisper, in August (stupid, yes I know).  I read here, someone quoting Barbra Muckerman,/that the Whisper is do for a major retrofit this starting this April.  I have looked at the schedule for the Whisper and can't really figure it out.  Or is 2 weeks too short?  The Whisper is the last SS ship to get redone, last time 2018. 

Is all this in fact true?  And if so how extensive will be refurbishment take and what will it consist of.?  Thanks in advance.

Whisper has a cruise ending in Athens on April 6th; her next cruise shows leaving Civitavecchia on May 10th.  So it's a month for the the renovation/dry dock.  There is a little information on intended changes on the thread mentioned above.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:24 PM, mchell810 said:

Whisper has a cruise ending in Athens on April 6th; her next cruise shows leaving Civitavecchia on May 10th.  So it's a month for the the renovation/dry dock.  There is a little information on intended changes on the thread mentioned above.

Hi, 

we are booked on the 10th May cruise which is leaving from ‘Venice’ With regard to the refit other than providing a small arts cafe in the library/ connoisseur area it is generally just fixtures and fittings in public areas. I am not sure if this is going to include suite areas. The only issue I have is being the first sailing after a dry dock and will all work be finished.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2024 at 8:44 AM, Pies4u said:

I’m sort of interested as well.  We’ll be onboard this May and have been reading some pretty bad reviews of this ship from the condition to service to food to excursions.  Mostly negative.  There was mention of pretty obvious leaks in the corridors and tattered looking staterooms.  Does anyone recall if there have been any refits or updates in the last few months?

On 1/7/2024 at 6:54 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

There are rules that require dry-docks on a regular basis:

"For a passenger vessel, the inspection of the ship’s bottom is to be done annually. Two of such inspections in a period of five years must be carried in dry dock and the maximum intervals between these inspections should be 3 years."

https://www.marineinsight.com/guidelines/dry-dock-types-of-dry-docks-requirements-for-dry-dock/#Requirements_for_Dry_Docking

This is about hull inspections, safety checks, and mandated operational upgrades.    

Refurbishing cabins and other hotel items is usually done during a mandated dry dock since the ship is out of service anyway, or on a more limited basis during regular service.

I believe a routine dry dock takes about two weeks, so you should find such a 'hole' in the schedule every two to three years.

For what it is worth, the last time I was seriously involved in a dry dock it was on an oil tanker.

The following surveys were made: 
(a) 3rd Special Survey of the hull with thickness determination. 
(b) Docking Survey. 
(c) Annual Survey. 
(d) Safety Equipment Survey. 
(e) Safety Construction Survey. 
(f) Load Line Survey. 
(g) Completion of Continuous Machinery Survey. 
(h) Tailshaft Survey. 

The reason I was involved, was that the DD was in April and the ship sank the following January. I was2/O at the time. The reason was suspected metal fatigue on a cooling pipe. Just to prove that even a DD isn't perfect 🤣

We booked 27 nights in 2026 (2 x 7 nights in the Caribbean and a 13 night crossing to Lisbon) - and it would appear now that several months of Spirit cruises between April & Dec 2025 have all been “waitlisted”. Something is going on, but nobody seems to know, precisely, what is happening with this ship.

Since all the waitlisted cruises follow a Doha to Athens cruise, my guess is that dates and itineraries may be changing.

The Doha one through the Red Sea is still showing available but I can’t think who in their right mind would book it. 

We had our trip cancelled by Silversea a couple of weeks ago. Was due to sail 24th Nov 2025. After the cancellation came through I noticed all  Silver Spirit cruises had gone waitlisted. Check out the thread I posted.