Booking HIA specialty restaurants

Posted (edited)

Hello. New to Holland America, but experienced cruiser. At what stage am I able to make a booking for one of the "included" specialty restaurants? We will be sailing on the Ritterdam in May. Final payment is due in February. Thanks in advance for your responses

Edited by Bizziecruzer
Typo

• Bizziecruzer changed the title to Booking HIA specialty restaurants

Our Nieuw Statendam cruise  at end of April and like Rotterdam sailing in Europe,  has been available for over a month now.  Have you checked your booking online or on the HAL Navigator app?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

At what stage am I able to make a booking for one of the "included" specialty restaurants? We will be sailing on the Ritterdam in May. Final payment is due in February. 

As soon as they are opened. There will be a check box in the reservation to apply your complimentary dinner(s). Do as Colin advised!

My Zuiderdam Trans Atlantic Ft. Lauderdale to Ijmuiden Netherlands leaving May 11th still hasn't opened up dining reservations online. I keep checking daily as @VMax1700 says theirs in April are already available.  Hmmmmm?????  Just now checked and still closed.  ☹️

image.thumb.png.54d27f8cbf34f0083568f2f19a1a47f5.png

On 1/6/2024 at 4:32 PM, crystalspin said:

As soon as they are opened. There will be a check box in the reservation to apply your complimentary dinner(s). Do as Colin advised!

Dining reservations are open, but I don't find a check box to apply my complimentary meals.  Where will I find it and what does it look like? 

You can also call Ships Services, they can help you book your complimentary dining.  I had issues trying to book my Nieuw Statendam Baltics cruise complimentary dining so I gave them a call, they were very helpful.

• Like 1

We booked our first HIA reservation at Pinnacle. When I went to book the second, Tamarind was the only available. If I go to Pinnacle, it no longer has the option to apply the HIA comp. Does two credits really mean one credit each at two restaurants? If I try booking on board, will I have better luck? My fiance is a very picky eater, and nothing at Tamarind appeals. 

29 minutes ago, KenveeB said:

We booked our first HIA reservation at Pinnacle. When I went to book the second, Tamarind was the only available. If I go to Pinnacle, it no longer has the option to apply the HIA comp. Does two credits really mean one credit each at two restaurants? If I try booking on board, will I have better luck? My fiance is a very picky eater, and nothing at Tamarind appeals. 

Yes, it is one each.  This is usually mentioned on the official HAL Booking Confirmation. I have succeeded in getting Pinnacle change to Canelleto, but it is very difficult.

1 hour ago, KenveeB said:

Does two credits really mean one credit each at two restaurants? If I try booking on board, will I have better luck?

As Colin said, yes one each at Pinnacle and Tamarind. If you scroll down on your Confirmation you will see a list like this: image.jpeg.a9161fa536ce503eaa9c15d72fb4d6f2.jpeg

Only I have three dinners (one each) bc 35-day cruise. Try onboard as @VMax1700 has had success, trading "down" to Canaletto. Very doubtful (impossible) trading up to another Pinnacle Grill. Do you have the menu for Canaletto, including the five possible daily specials?

5 hours ago, KenveeB said:

My fiance is a very picky eater, and nothing at Tamarind appeals.

Does she like filet mignon? The tenderloin steak/filet in the Tamarind can be ordered without the soy or wasabi sauce. It's fine that way. 
I truly understand that if she doesn't like the menu, or Asian food in general, then she would have a tough time, and a second time at Pinnacle (or trying to get it switched to Canaletto) would work better. The Canaletto option may even work. 

• Like 1

I am booked on a May cruise on Koningsdam. The specialty restaurants opened up a few days ago. Having said that, I as able to make the reservations on the website in the itinerary function. The Nav ap on my phone still doesn't have the option for reservations. 

On 1/18/2024 at 11:28 AM, KenveeB said:

...My fiance is a very picky eater, and nothing at Tamarind appeals. 

I don't eat seafood of any kind and don't like overly spicy foods, so Tamarind was a struggle for me. As @RuthCsuggested, I had the tenderloin w/o Wasabi crust. Also got the ribs and satay sampler. They brought a few things prepared just for me that usually have oyster or fish sauce. All were very good; I would go back tonight if I were on a ship!

The staff is very open to conversations about food preference and will modify to their abilities. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 10:28 AM, KenveeB said:

Does two credits really mean one credit each at two restaurants? If I try booking on board, will I have better luck? My fiance is a very picky eater, and nothing at Tamarind appeals. 

Me again. I wanted to say what @Haljo1935 said, but as I hadn't actually done it, I held back. I'm glad my reflexes were confirmed. HAL crew really want to make you happy!

I always get the Mongolian Lamb and recommend it (if fiance eats lamb!) -- you can have the sauce or spices left off, or applied lightly. Bok choy is just little cabbages. Barramundi is AKA Asian Seabass and can be made without the Thai curry. If you can bring yourselves to try it, the atmosphere is like nowhere else on board! 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 12:10 AM, crystalspin said:

Me again. I wanted to say what @Haljo1935 said, but as I hadn't actually done it, I held back. I'm glad my reflexes were confirmed. HAL crew really want to make you happy!

I always get the Mongolian Lamb and recommend it (if fiance eats lamb!) -- you can have the sauce or spices left off, or applied lightly. Bok choy is just little cabbages. Barramundi is AKA Asian Seabass and can be made without the Thai curry. If you can bring yourselves to try it, the atmosphere is like nowhere else on board! 

I really didn't like the barramundi. Is it a popular fish? I never see it on a menu in Maine. I would prefer swordfish, salmon, haddock, and cod.

• Like 1