Allura…is it too late to add Jacques and la Reserve ?

BEEZLEE

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

Libraries, ashore and afloat, are getting a lot less vital because of internet, browsers, and ebooks, so IMNSHO can go the way of buggy whips, encyclopedias, and landlines.

I worked in a library and supported them. There are still people, esp. children, who don't have access to computers. Amazing, I know. But as far as a cruise ship I just find them a quiet place to go.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

My 2¢:

Libraries, ashore and afloat, are getting a lot less vital because of internet, browsers, and ebooks, so IMNSHO can go the way of buggy whips, encyclopedias, and landlines.

I disagree.  My community just opened a beautiful new public library last week that is twice the size of the old library.  Libraries are equipped with so much more than books nowadays. They will always be needed and welcomed. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I disagree.  My community just opened a beautiful new public library last week that is twice the size of the old library.  Libraries are equipped with so much more than books nowadays. They will always be needed and welcomed. 

**************************THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our local country library branch offers help with homework. I know - off topic. Sorry.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 8:39 AM, Vallesan said:

I’m sure that they would both have more success on Oceania because as you say they would be ‘included’, unlike on Celebrity.

Luckily in Royal Suites and above it is included.  Also Elite and above get 1 scoop for free

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

**************************THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our local country library branch offers help with homework. I know - off topic. Sorry.

Yep, people needing help with homework abound on Oceania! 😂

Evidence being often the ship’s math Mensa questions are simple Algebra 1 questions. Mensa? Really? 😂

Back to the issue at hand, remove the afternoon nappers, and library usage aboard Oceania plunges.

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Evidence being often the ship’s math Mensa questions are simple Algebra 1 questions. Mensa? Really? 😂

Back to the issue at hand, remove the afternoon nappers, and library usage aboard Oceania plunges.

And chair hogs?

I love the libraries on O! However, combining the books with the puzzles/games and also computers (now just monitors?) seems like compatible activities (although a soundproof room may be needed for mahjong).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I love the libraries on O! However, combining the books with the puzzles/games and also computers (now just monitors?) seems like compatible activities (although a soundproof room may be needed for mahjong).

The room on Vista where they were talking would no longer have computers, they would only be in the Internet room next door.   Presently that room has many long tables with shelves with games, etc. around the side.  I believe the intended use was for private meetings by a group onboard but never saw it used for that purpose

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 12:36 PM, sunlover12 said:

Is this a fair rephrase?  We call it a "library", but it's valuable because of it's ancillary services rather than its book-lending function or its reference section stuffed with sometimes decade-old material.

In any event, more and more pax treat shipboard libraries as book-decorated lounges rather than places to borrow books, and use internet-at-sea for better and fresher port-of-call information.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 7:48 PM, pinotlover said:

At risk of appearing less than intelligent, I found the mensa quizzes very difficult. Others at our trivia group, Regatta 07 Sept, were much more adept at the answers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

At risk of appearing less than intelligent, I found the mensa quizzes very difficult. Others at our trivia group, Regatta 07 Sept, were much more adept at the answers.

Intelligence is a funny thing. I find many of the questions simple, others I'd never get, but my wife does. I certainly don't consider ourselves genius level, but generally between the two of us we can answer most of those questions. So I tend to agree with Pinot on this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

That cruise were heavy on the words/trivia, low on the math/logic...so annoying and not much fun.