Booking Singapore Accommodation

Hi guys, It will be our first time in Singapore towards the end of the year and just wondered if you guys that have been to Singapore could advise booking accommodation well in advance or not. Do not want to leave it too late when all accomodation is fully booked.Still trying to find a hotel that is nice to stay at but at a reasonable cost. If and when I find one is it worth booking  9/10 months in advance, it would have to be with free cancelation in case of unforeseen circumstances. 

Cheers John

I booked a Holiday Inn property 10 months in advance using points for August 2024. I noticed that the amount of points varies depending on how far out you book. It was higher at 12 months out but dropped about 20% two months later.

• Thanks 1

I have 2 recommendations. 

Budget: Keong Saik Hotel ( great location, continental breakfast included )

Money Bags: Paradox Singapore Merchant Court at Clarke Quay (great location, pricey, but nice full breakfast)

And, yes, book as far in advance as possible. Preferably, with free cancellation.

• Thanks 1

I started looking at around 6 months out and booked a place that is fully cancelable. I am thinking to change it and the prices elsewhere haven't really changed (it is now 3.5 months before our trip). The prices probably reflect the time of year and if there are events happening

• Thanks 1

Look for hotels that don't require a deposit for the booking. We often book hotels months before our trips.

With Singapore try to get a hotel fairly close to an MRT station. That way you'll find it very easy to get around without having to walk a long wat in the steamy heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless I am very certain that I will be able to use the room, I book flexible rates that allow cancellation. - often even up to the day of arrival., 

Yes, these rates are nearly always more expensive, but you won't be charged a cent if you need to cancel.

I tend to stick to hotels of the Accor group, which has many hotel brands for all budgets. Join their loyalty program and benefits quickly accumulate. Early check in, late check out and such.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Look for hotels that don't require a deposit for the booking. We often book hotels months before our trips.

With Singapore try to get a hotel fairly close to an MRT station. That way you'll find it very easy to get around without having to walk a long wat in the steamy heat.

Good point for Singapore.  ( and Bangkok even more so).

In Singapore, there I just was 4 days ago, it is either diabolically humid or it buckets down. I had 3 days of near constant rain. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Just now, buchhalm said:

Good point for Singapore.  ( and Bangkok even more so).

In Singapore, there I just was 4 days ago, it is either diabolically humid or it buckets down. I had 3 days of near constant rain. 🙂

Thst was bad luck. Most of the times I've been there it usually only rained late afternoons. It was only a nuisance twice when we were staying in hotels a long walk from the nearest MRT (I was tagging along on Rolf's business trips so had no choice of hotel). 

• Like 1

I’m currently researching hotels for our 3 night pre-cruise stay in November. We usually like to book club rooms but the prices are pretty steep. The exchange rate and SG taxes don’t help either.

Singapore is one of the most expensive places to stay. Some more affordable accommodation is found in the Chinatown area, which is interesting in itself.  If you book now with a cancellable booking, you can always opt out if you keep and eye on prices and later find something better or more affordable. Watch out for budget rooms in Singapore - often they do not have a window.

• Like 3

Check this out this hotel.

https://thescarletsingapore.com

Gorgeous boutique hotel and (for Singapore) reasonably priced.

MTR station , a great hawker food court, Buddha tooth temple within 5 minutes stroll. Clarke Quay tourist trap and China town also close by.

From the airport it's around SGD 35 by taxi.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnGc said:

Hi guys, It will be our first time in Singapore towards the end of the year and just wondered if you guys that have been to Singapore could advise booking accommodation well in advance or not. Do not want to leave it too late when all accomodation is fully booked.Still trying to find a hotel that is nice to stay at but at a reasonable cost. If and when I find one is it worth booking  9/10 months in advance, it would have to be with free cancelation in case of unforeseen circumstances. 

Cheers John

I just booked accommodation 10 months out for the Quantum repo .

Its one less thing to think about.

V lavender hotel   above the MTR and a food court  Reasonable price and comfortable  Easy to use MTR from airport and I believe a free cancellation a certain time before   I have used them 3 times happily   Good breakfast as well

• Thanks 2

Thanks Guys, all a great help. Has anyone stayed at the Mercure on Stevens owned by Accor if so I would be interested to know what that is like. Cost seems very reasonable but that makes me wonder. I will have a look at the  V Lavender hotel, thanks.

The location of the Mercure is not good. It's in the business district, a long way from the places tourist go to. It's more than a kilometre to walk to the Orchard Road shopping area, and maybe 1.5 kms from the nearest MTR station. You'd have to go everywhere by taxi, because you wouldn't want to walk much in the heat and humidity.

25 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Thanks Guys, all a great help. Has anyone stayed at the Mercure on Stevens owned by Accor if so I would be interested to know what that is like. Cost seems very reasonable but that makes me wonder. I will have a look at the  V Lavender hotel, thanks.

V Lavender is great,it’s booked out when I’m there . We got the Paradox in Clark quay,it’s in the middle of everything. It was $500 a night for 3 people.

A friend got the ibis in Clark quay for $140 a night for 2 .

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

Yes, as stated the Mercure on Stevens is a fair walk from MRT. I have looked at it often but too far away for a short stay for us.

Last two visits to Singapore we have stayed at Ibis Bencoolen, basic, clean and great reviews. Three MRT lines close and we love that area. Walk to Little India and Kampong Glam, Orchard Rd if you want. 

We use Accor and have booked the Mercure Bugis for the next stay, but have a flexible booking  and keep checking the price. Only reason we chose this over Ibis Bencoolen is it has a pool.

Also looking out for a new Mercure opening April possibly, Mercure Icon, near Chinatown, lots of MRT options and right near Telok Ayer, where Lau Pau Sat food market is. It will be brand new, pool but can't find much info at the moment.

• Like 1

We booked Mercure Singapore Bugis on an advanced saver rate direct on the accor site.  This was for their most expensive room - a loft with club access includng happy hour with 3 dishes, house wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee machine and breakfast.  The room was small but adequate and had a coffee machine.  There is a guest laundry on the pool deck.  The hotel was nice and across the road from a large shopping mall (Bugis+ and Bugis Junction and MRT station), including many many food places and a nice supermarket which sells wine 😀 - CS Fresh.  Booking a loft was a mistake for someone with bad knees! 😅  They got us a taxi to the cruise port for only about $12 using the Zig app

ADVANCE SAVER RATE - BED AND BREAKFAST

96139bac-120f-41a4-a001-b1d95ff90bb4.gif

2 x SGD 292.79 per night
xx Dec 2023 to xx Dec 2023

This room features a queen bed on mezzanine floor and a Nespresso machine. Inclusive of access to Privilege Lounge with complimentary all-day refreshments and evening cocktails. Up to 2 adults. No rollaway bed allowed and no children allowed at the lounge

SGD 585.58

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, lucymorgan said:

We booked Mercure Singapore Bugis ......  The hotel was nice and across the road from a large shopping mall (Bugis+ and Bugis Junction and MRT station)

just wanted to add to my previous post that once you crossed the road to Bugis+, you could walk in airconditioning to the MRT station (which is attached to the basement level of the Bugis junction) - had to go up a level in Bugis+ then down 2 in Bugis Junction

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, windsor26 said:

V lavender hotel   above the MTR and a food court  Reasonable price and comfortable  Easy to use MTR from airport and I believe a free cancellation a certain time before   I have used them 3 times happily   Good breakfast as well

Thanks for the tip. The V Lavender looks like very good value. We may change our booked hotel in May

• Like 2

Cant thank you all enough for your post, so much good information and plenty for me to start researching. I do enjoy a lead up to a cruise even if it is a fair way off. This forum is so helpful. 

Cheers John.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:36 PM, fairywren said:

I’m currently researching hotels for our 3 night pre-cruise stay in November. We usually like to book club rooms but the prices are pretty steep. The exchange rate and SG taxes don’t help either.

Check out Furama City Hotel for club room rate. We're staying there in June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Wow, that looks pretty good for the price.

Decisions, decisions

3 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Thanks for the info. I have booked a Premier Club with no pre payment.

Perhaps you would be able to post here after your stay with your thoughts.🙏

I'm also looking at Jen Tanglin as I want to re-visit the National Orchid Centre.