An NCL diehard tries MSC for the first time...

Hello to all my virtual friends here!

It's time for another semi-live but I won't be on an NCL ship this time unfortunately!  I wanted to sail again with NCL but the ports and ship leaving from NYC this winter was bascially a rinse and repeat of my trip from last Feb/March with some price increases.

I've had my eye on MSC ever since they started sailing from NYC a few years ago and everything just fell into place this year.  I do have to say, their pricing is super aggressive.  I'm getting an inside cabin for around $120 a day (solo) for this 11 day sailing.  I got the status match with them for my NCL points but their benefits at equivalent tier are not as good as what NCL offers.  

In my specific case I will miss the excursion discounts and the free WiFi minutes the most.

Like my last semi-lives, expect my initial observations to be dry and boring since I don't do any type of long form writing like this in my job.  Hopefully the real Pete will show up a few days in or after someone cuts me off in line during the embarkation buffet lunch!

I'll be embarking on Monday for almost two weeks of fun and maybe some sun while the coldest air of the winter so far descends on NYC.

-Pete

• Like 11

I took a cruise just this past August on MSC Yacht Club Meraviglia.  I have been in the Haven and I have to say the Yacht Club beats the Haven.  The shows are where NCL shines.  I really didn’t enjoy the shows on MSC.  I can’t say how the food is on the lower levels of MSC but in the Yacht 
Club food was excellent.  Can’t wait to hear about your experience.   Have a great time!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Monstica said:

I took a cruise just this past August on MSC Yacht Club Meraviglia.  I have been in the Haven and I have to say the Yacht Club beats the Haven.  The shows are where NCL shines.  I really didn’t enjoy the shows on MSC.  I can’t say how the food is on the lower levels of MSC but in the Yacht 
Club food was excellent.  Can’t wait to hear about your experience.   Have a great time!

I would love to hear more

We love YC and are looking at some long sailings. Inclined to choose YC -- however there is a Haven option.

Could you share more please and TYVM. In particular the Epic

Looking forward to your review and analysis. You are so right about the lack of winter NYC routes. Did you take a look at Royal Caribbeans 10 day trips from Bayonne? Everyone in the metro Ny/NJ area had the same idea as they are either sold out. I on the other hand considering another  TA from NYC in the spring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

Looking forward to your review and analysis. You are so right about the lack of winter NYC routes. Did you take a look at Royal Caribbeans 10 day trips from Bayonne? Everyone in the metro Ny/NJ area had the same idea as they are either sold out. I on the other hand considering another  TA from NYC in the spring. 

As a solo traveler I didn't find the RC prices with the single supplement to be that great.  Their ships seems to be geared more for the families and kids with all the activities.  Nothing wrong with that but I didn't think it would be the best fit for me.  May need to eyeball some Canadian sailings on NCL in the fall but only if they bring back the morning hashbrown pucks!  🙂 

13 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

May need to eyeball some Canadian sailings on NCL in the fall but only if they bring back the morning hashbrown pucks!  🙂 

I'll be on the Encore for 21-days in April. If they don't have hashbrowns back yet by then, they darn well better have plenty of my favorite wallpaper paste gravy.

• Haha 1

NCL has an exciting Wave Season in 2024 😳🙄🫣🤔😧 ... Not  !!! 

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruise-wave-season-sales-2024-8422894 

NCL risking to get whipped by price-competitive MSC in the NY market.  Lately, NCL's onboard experiences is not what it used to be.  I say better watch out, stock trends possibly showing the way ahead. 

Unless the "Price is Right" last minute, for us anyway ... @bedfordmom do check out those TA deals if you can fit them into the calendars. As frugal travelers, we stacked up the discounts plus FCC on top of CruiseNext DoubleUp and worked for us, again.  Then, the BOA card points for upgrades. Mrs is happy with a nice balcony, concierge and butler don't matter to us. 

Well, just can't convince DW to go on those Getaway winter runs with a planned Bermuda short stop. Oh well, leave my smoked salmon alone, given up on the greasy pucks. 

Pete, dress warmly for the trip over to Red Hook ... curious, how are you getting there - take a bus over VZB to Bay Ridge and then ???

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We did the 11 day Miraviglia in October and it was okay.  Couldn't beat the price at $700pp for a balcony.  Some of the food was good and some tasteless.  We didn't like set time dining but it worked out.  We thought the production shows were some of the best we've seen at sea.  The fly in entertainers were meh.  

MSC prices have gone up a lot now but if we see a sailing with a good price and itinerary we would book one again 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

May need to eyeball some Canadian sailings on NCL in the fall but only if they bring back the morning hashbrown pucks!  🙂 

Oh, no...another hash brown reference. Haven't you heard? Speaking of the infamous hash browns is now strictly verboten on CC...or so people have informed me. 

Personally, I'm glad to see you re-HASH this subject.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, yankees111 said:

This should be posted on the MSC boards.

it is indeed posted on the MSC boards.

this thread contains a link to that post for all the OP's NCL friends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

NCL has an exciting Wave Season in 2024 😳🙄🫣🤔😧 ... Not  !!! 

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruise-wave-season-sales-2024-8422894 

NCL risking to get whipped by price-competitive MSC in the NY market.  Lately, NCL's onboard experiences is not what it used to be.  I say better watch out, stock trends possibly showing the way ahead. 

Unless the "Price is Right" last minute, for us anyway ... @bedfordmom do check out those TA deals if you can fit them into the calendars. As frugal travelers, we stacked up the discounts plus FCC on top of CruiseNext DoubleUp and worked for us, again.  Then, the BOA card points for upgrades. Mrs is happy with a nice balcony, concierge and butler don't matter to us. 

Well, just can't convince DW to go on those Getaway winter runs with a planned Bermuda short stop. Oh well, leave my smoked salmon alone, given up on the greasy pucks. 

Pete, dress warmly for the trip over to Red Hook ... curious, how are you getting there - take a bus over VZB to Bay Ridge and then ???

Yes I am waiting for the WAVE perks from my online TA for the Escape TA before pulling the trigger. Though the price point is good the longer we wait the air goes up especially for the smaller BOS msrket. Realize that NCL will offer nothing so it’s a waiting game with the TA  

• Like 2

Hi @bedfordmom!

I'll definitely be wearing all my heavy sweatshirts and extra t-shirts tomorrow (saves on the luggage space!).   Getting to Red Hook Brooklyn is definitely a "thing" unless you want to splurge for a direct Uber.

My plan is to take the Staten Island ferry over to Bowling Green (I live on Staten Island), then a quick walk to Pier 11 on Wall St. for a NY Waterways ferry that will drop me off right next to the port for $4.  I have luggage but it's carry on size so it shouldn't be too big a deal to wrangle hopefully.

My boarding time was changed from 9:30AM until noon and notified via a text message yesterday.  Some other folks have had their boarding time move up earlier for some reason and that has caused some angst.

Being the "pro" that I think I am, I'm just going to get there as early as possible.  If I have to wait, I'll wait.  I have a phone and with Internet, I'll pass the time updating the Semi-Live!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Oh, no...another hash brown reference. Haven't you heard? Speaking of the infamous hash browns is now strictly verboten on CC...or so people have informed me. 

Personally, I'm glad to see you re-HASH this subject.

I hope that isn't the case with the hash references!  I have it on good authority that MSC still has a supply of these pucks and will not hesistate to post multiple photos of them on the SemiLive...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bedfordmom said:

... waiting for the WAVE perks from my online TA for the Escape TA before pulling the trigger. Though the price point is good the longer we wait the air goes up especially for the smaller BOS msrket. Realize that NCL will offer nothing so it’s a waiting game with the TA  

Apologize to Pete for the sidetrack ... Pete, that $4 transit option for SI via the ferry and NY Waterway routing has seldom been "documented" here and over at the East Coast departure forum, that'll give you something to write up separately & post/share - going to be useful with photo illustration.  Cheaper than the JFK AirTrain (fare just went up slightly ... but, at least it's now/soon OMNY friendly, no more Metro Card(s) for the fare) to Manhattan with light luggage. 

NCL is offering crickets these days, when even their PCC are nearly silent, ya know it's bad for the traditionally slow winter days ... looked at a typical 7 days MSC trip from NY, balcony is "much" less than NCL.  

Airfare is the other crazy part for these TA, interesting enough, playing with NCL's bookings, their offered 2 for 1 deal isn't bad IF And only if we skip flying out of JFK as it's close & convenient (hate & can't stand going to EWR) but select ISP - Long Island's MacArthur Airport ... difference/savings is quite substantial for a TA ahead.  Probably meant not getting a non-stop but a connection via BOS or YYR, etc. for a TA.  Oh well, that's what a good T.A. do when you use & trust them to do the work for earning your business.

The other gossip, from our CAS friends, is that NCL apparently losing ground with players from land-based gaming partners, switching their alliance with Celebrity, Royal & Princess, instead of NCL - will be interesting to see how this pan out this year and 2025.  

Hi Pistol Pete

Thanks for the info! I will be following on MSC board!

I enjoy reading your reviews.

It's a great time to get out of the NY weather!

Next month I'm doing a b2b on the Escape! 

Can't wait!!

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Getting to Red Hook Brooklyn is definitely a "thing" unless you want to splurge for a direct Uber.

My plan is to take the Staten Island ferry over to Bowling Green (I live on Staten Island), then a quick walk to Pier 11 on Wall St. for a NY Waterways ferry that will drop me off right next to the port for $4.  I have luggage but it's carry on size so it shouldn't be too big a deal to wrangle hopefully.

My boarding time was changed from 9:30AM until noon and notified via a text message yesterday.  Some other folks have had their boarding time move up earlier for some reason and that has caused some angst.

Being the "pro" that I think I am, I'm just going to get there as early as possible.  If I have to wait, I'll wait.  I have a phone and with Internet, I'll pass the time updating the Semi-Live!

Good morning

Know you are busy today getting to the pier.

Would LOVE direct advice--as we just booked a TA on the Pearl for April

We have not sailed from NY before and honestly dread it.

We'd fly in the day before.

Thoughts on best way to do this-- ?

We are sailing Haven and have seen reviews that say embarkation for Haven is no better than general pop... which is disappointing as YC for MSC definitely is smoother.

So please give me your best advice.

Happy Sailing. Bon voyage

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Good morning

We are sailing Haven and have seen reviews that say embarkation for Haven is no better than general pop... which is disappointing as YC for MSC definitely is smoother.

Unless I'm missing something here, MSC sails from Brooklyn, NCL does not.

9 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Unless I'm missing something here, MSC sails from Brooklyn, NCL does not.

I appreciate your help.

From booking - it doesn't specify pier..and from 

this link

https://voyagerinfo.com/cruise-faqs/where-does-norwegian-cruise-leave-from-in-new-york/

I am uncertain how to know which pier (s) NCL sails from. 

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Good morning

Hi!

NCL actually leaves from their pier on 48th St, and 11th Ave. (Pier 88).  Coming in the day before like you are is the best bet.  Lot's more hotel choices and easier access to the Pier when you're staying in Manhattan.

• Thanks 1