Past Ascent cruisers: where did you have lunch embarkation day?

dleahy4444

We are scheduled to check in at 11:30 and are hoping to get to the port by then but we are driving down so no guarantees. Will the OVC be packed by 12-12:30? We understand crowded and can deal with that, just need to know if there will be seating available. I think Eden cafe would also be open but are selections very limited? Im avoiding the Mast grill since we did that on the Beyond and were underwhelmed by the burgers, but maybe will be better on the Ascent? Is the lunch at Le Grand Bistro worth it, and is it easy to get seating since I can’t seem to make a lunch reservation? Thanks all. 

The OV is crowded at noon everyday sea day and embarkation day.  Better now that without backpacks and rollaboards taking up seats and clogging walkways.

On the app for todays sailing neither Eden Cafe or the Spa Cafe are showing as open today.  Same for next week, which is why I checked todays sailing.

We board, get sea pass, drop off carry-ons, check in at muster station then go get a drink.

Personally I don’t feel Le Gran Bistro is worth the $76 for 2 at lunch.  We ate there a few time times during cruises and while the food was good at $48 for 2 not a $76 lunch.

We will have a drink, explore the ship some and head to lunch about 1:15 - 1:30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Im avoiding the Mast grill since we did that on the Beyond and were underwhelmed by the burgers, but maybe will be better on the Ascent?

Not a past Ascent cruiser but boarding the first week of February. 

We recently sailed 10N on Silhouette and the Mast grill was below underwhelming, as well as no "grill smoke, aroma, etc.).  First, none of the hamburgers were being cooked to order at the time we were there (for 45 minutes).  We observed that there were possibly hundreds in what appeared to be a warmer) that the precooked burgers were simply pulled out and served (not even reheated or on the grill at all).

Days later, while walking at 10AM, going near the Mast grill smelled 'awesome' on every walking lap around the deck.  They were grilling entire sheets full of burgers one (sheet) right after the other and sliding them into the warmer.  Checked it out at lunch and, sure enough, none on the grill, no smoke or grill aroma, and served from the warmer.

Ugh.  Don't take one of those, ask for a freshly grilled burger.  A hospitality officer told us it was rare for them to do so much so far ahead.  Didn't try it again though.  That day 1 burgers were the worst we've had in literally decades and we actually we nauseous. 

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Not a past Ascent cruiser but boarding the first week of February. 

We recently sailed 10N on Silhouette and the Mast grill was below underwhelming, as well as no "grill smoke, aroma, etc.).  First, none of the hamburgers were being cooked to order at the time we were there (for 45 minutes).  We observed that there were possibly hundreds in what appeared to be a warmer) that the precooked burgers were simply pulled out and served (not even reheated or on the grill at all).

Days later, while walking at 10AM, going near the Mast grill smelled 'awesome' on every walking lap around the deck.  They were grilling entire sheets full of burgers one (sheet) right after the other and sliding them into the warmer.  Checked it out at lunch and, sure enough, none on the grill, no smoke or grill aroma, and served from the warmer.

Ugh.  Don't take one of those, ask for a freshly grilled burger.  A hospitality officer told us it was rare for them to do so much so far ahead.  Didn't try it again though.  That day 1 burgers were the worst we've had in literally decades and we actually we nauseous. 

I think that is why my burger was so bad. I think it had been sitting there for a while. It’s a shame. When I started sailing with Celebrity in 2012 the mast grill burger was one of my favorites. I’ll try asking for one freshly grilled. Thanks for the suggestion 

Let me upvote Le Grand Bistro.    Amazing lobster bisque and French onion soup, great entrees and deserts.   Worth $76?   Well that's your decision.   I think so, especially on embarkation day where the OVC can be mobbed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

The OV is crowded at noon everyday sea day and embarkation day.  Better now that without backpacks and rollaboards taking up seats and clogging walkways.

On the app for todays sailing neither Eden Cafe or the Spa Cafe are showing as open today.  Same for next week, which is why I checked todays sailing.

We board, get sea pass, drop off carry-ons, check in at muster station then go get a drink.

Personally I don’t feel Le Gran Bistro is worth the $76 for 2 at lunch.  We ate there a few time times during cruises and while the food was good at $48 for 2 not a $76 lunch.

We will have a drink, explore the ship some and head to lunch about 1:15 - 1:30.

Thanks for your response. I have a hard time paying that much for lunch considering that meals are included in our cruise fare. I’d love to, but can’t justify it on our budget. I didn’t realize it was that pricey! 

• Like 2

We sailed on the Dec 10th sailing with a full ship. We boarded at 11:30. Dropped our roller bag in the cabin, walked around the ship briefly, then headed for the OVC. The crowd was light and plenty of seating. We found on the Edge, Beyond and Ascent we were always able to find seating. Go towards the back, and if it’s a nice day the outside seating is awesome! …you’ll find all kinds of seating in this dining room especially toward the back AND another bar for drinks. 

Edited by Debordo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:11 AM, dleahy4444 said:

We are scheduled to check in at 11:30 and are hoping to get to the port by then but we are driving down so no guarantees. Will the OVC be packed by 12-12:30? We understand crowded and can deal with that, just need to know if there will be seating available. I think Eden cafe would also be open but are selections very limited? Im avoiding the Mast grill since we did that on the Beyond and were underwhelmed by the burgers, but maybe will be better on the Ascent? Is the lunch at Le Grand Bistro worth it, and is it easy to get seating since I can’t seem to make a lunch reservation? Thanks all. 

We were on Ascent three weeks ago and ate in the OVC. Seating is SO much better than on S-class ships. We didn't have problems finding a place to sit. 

8 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

We were on Ascent three weeks ago and ate in the OVC. Seating is SO much better than on S-class ships. We didn't have problems finding a place to sit. 

Thank you. Good to know. How were the lines for lunch on embarkation day? 

4 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you. Good to know. How were the lines for lunch on embarkation day? 

Not too bad. Some stations were a bit busy, like the salad bar, but generally it wasn’t too bad. 

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Not too bad. Some stations were a bit busy, like the salad bar, but generally it wasn’t too bad. 

Thanks. I’m not a salad eater so that works well, going straight to the pasta and desserts, lol. 

I will be contrary and say that we love the OVC on embarkation day. Never had any trouble finding a spot to sit, and we always head outside first to see if there are any seats there. The bustle just adds to our excitement about getting on a cruise again. Do what you enjoy!

• Thanks 1