MSC vs Royal Caribbean

packedandready

With the Seascape coming to Galveston, I’m considering MSC. We’re Diamond + with Royal so more familiar with their policies. I think I understand that there is no price match for a price decrease and I’d have to cancel and rebook. What is the change fee? What is the cancellation/refund policy? I’ve checked the website but it’s not clear. Also, what is the typical cost for internet for a 7 night cruise? Any other differences I need to know?

3 hours ago, packedandready said:

With the Seascape coming to Galveston, I’m considering MSC. We’re Diamond + with Royal so more familiar with their policies. I think I understand that there is no price match for a price decrease and I’d have to cancel and rebook. What is the change fee? What is the cancellation/refund policy? I’ve checked the website but it’s not clear. Also, what is the typical cost for internet for a 7 night cruise? Any other differences I need to know?

Have found with a good travel agent one can make ONE change with no fee. And to change a date the deposit can be moved FORWARD up to 3 months. We appreciate that on MSC nonsuite Diamonds are not allowed into Yacht Club venues like non suite Pinnacles taking up valuable real estate and meal time tables from actual suite paying guests.

• Like 1

I have cancelled and rebooked and there was no change fee. I did lose a small OBC.

The cancellation policy is similar to other cruise lines, there is a penalty after final payment which increases as the sail date approaches.

Do your research, MSC is different than RC, which for me is a good thing. Having checked prices for Icon recently, I can stay in YC for less, also a good thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, awatt said:

Having checked prices for Icon recently, I can stay in YC for less, also a good thing.

You might be able to stay on the ISS for less than a week on ICON OTS.  

7 hours ago, packedandready said:

Any other differences I need to know?

Learn and understand the different MSC "experience" levels. 

Bella, Fantastica, Aurea - LINK

Yacht Club - LINK

• Like 1

16 hours ago, packedandready said:

I just got finished with a YC sailing and am D+ with RCCL.  With YC you can move the sailing 1x which I actually had to do for a June sailing without any problems to a different date and ship.  To get the best internet for a 7 day, it was $116 for our sailing in December.  Muster drill is different.  Cannot use OBC until on ship.  No msc flight program for US citizens.  STRONGLY recommend getting the YC as it's much better than the suites on Royal.  Specialty dining is more expensive but there are experiences that cut costs down.  

• Like 2

OP, if you are D+, you should apply for a status match with MSC.

I agree with the above, that you should be familiar with the "experiences".  We were fine with Bella (the cheapest) because we prefer set dining, and do not use room service.  A number of factors come into each experience.

The biggest difference we had between RC and MSC is the passenger makeup.  RC cruises from US have mostly Americans; MSC draws many other nationalities.  (Maybe Galveston will have a smaller mix than sailing from Florida, though, where Americans can easily be a minority.)

• Like 1