A few questions bout the Crown Princess

Cruise Raider

Maybe some recent cruisers will be kind enough to answer some questions I have about the Crown Princess .. 

Does the Crown have those motion lights in the hallway between the bathroom and closet?  

Are there USB ports on the bedside lamps?  

Are there any other casual meal venues available other than at the GastroPub and Vines?  

Is the charcuterie board the only food available at Vines?  

Are there any pop up venues for casual dining meals?

Thanks in advance!  

• Thanks 1

Yes, 

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Maybe some recent cruisers will be kind enough to answer some questions I have about the Crown Princess .. 

Does the Crown have those motion lights in the hallway between the bathroom and closet?  

-yes there are motion lights there and also on bottom of nightstands 

Are there USB ports on the bedside lamps?  

- no.  They did add a USB port plug to the desk though

Are there any other casual meal venues available other than at the GastroPub and Vines?  
-Pizza, Salty Dog Grill, Buffet

Is the charcuterie board the only food available at Vines?  
-not sure, didn't eat here

Are there any pop up venues for casual dining meals?

-Crab Shack was offered several nights at buffet 

Thanks in advance!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you @gt1701a. That’s very helpful info.  

For casual dining, I was referring to the ones that one has to pay for or includes in the plus or premier packages.  
I think the Crab Shack carries a price of a specialty restaurant.  

And by any chance, does none know who the current Cruise Director is and if he/she will be on in February?  
thanks again!  

Not aware of any other pay casual dining.

Our cruise director for December 22nd cruise was Jody.  She was good.  I am not sure if she will be on in February or not.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dylanzola said:

What was your experience at sea from San Francisco to Hawaii 

It was pretty rough the first day or two and a little rough a day or two before Ensenada.  I get sea sick and did fine just taking two meclizine on the rougher days.  I will say after the first night (really rough) I was dreading more sea days.  But it did get smoother and I loved the cruise.

• Like 2

Cruise Raider we were on the Crown in October so a few months ago.  The Salty Dog Bistro Pub was the only offering and was in the evening.  So nothing during the day.

Yes at that time in Vines that was what was offered later in the afternoon.  Most people just got food from the IC I noticed.  Only saw a couple people order the charcuterie board with whatever came with it.  Honestly I didn't pay much attention.

We were in a PH suite and no USB ports were installed in it either. 

Yes that irritating motion sensor light would come on.  Worst was the ceiling one outside the cabin door.  We took some blue painters tape with us to cover it up.  It would just come on in the middle of the night which was crazy.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

And by any chance, does none know who the current Cruise Director is and if he/she will be on in February?  
thanks again!  

5 hours ago, gt1701a said:

Our cruise director for December 22nd cruise was Jody.  She was good.  I am not sure if she will be on in February or not.

According to the sticky for key crew members on all ships at the top of this forum, Jodi is scheduled to be on the Crown until April sometime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hulagirl said:

Cruise Raider we were on the Crown in October so a few months ago.  The Salty Dog Bistro Pub was the only offering and was in the evening.  So nothing during the day.

Yes at that time in Vines that was what was offered later in the afternoon.  Most people just got food from the IC I noticed.  Only saw a couple people order the charcuterie board with whatever came with it.  Honestly I didn't pay much attention.

We were in a PH suite and no USB ports were installed in it either. 

Yes that irritating motion sensor light would come on.  Worst was the ceiling one outside the cabin door.  We took some blue painters tape with us to cover it up.  It would just come on in the middle of the night which was crazy.

Thank you so much for the info!  It is all invaluable.  And I know what you mean about those motion lights, they just come on whenever the ship moves.  We have a cover that fits the Ruby’s light so, hopefully it will be the same for the Crown.  The Discovery either never had them or they’ve disabled the motion sensor.  You can still turn it on when you need it for the closet.  
We got the premier package on our next couple of sailings on the Crown.  I don’t really think it’s going to be worth it, though, without a much of a choice of casual dining venues.  
Thanks again!  

41 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

According to the sticky for key crew members on all ships at the top of this forum, Jodi is scheduled to be on the Crown until April sometime.

Thank you!  I thought I read somewhere it would be Gary Golding and hoping it was but haven’t seen him around for quite some time.  I am sure Jodi will be great, though. 

12 hours ago, Dylanzola said:

What was your experience at sea from San Francisco to Hawaii 

It's common for the seas to be rough and choppy and the weather cool the first two to three days crossing to Hawaii. It turns tropical once the ship crosses the Tropic of Cancer, somewhere during day three. Those that sit around the pools usually have some sort of sweatshirts or other coverups on.

On the return expect choppy seas heading north from Ensenada. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget about the motion sensor lights at the bottom of the nightstands next to the bed.  We just put one of the decorative bed pillows on the floor in front of them at night, so problem solved.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thank you so much for the info!  It is all invaluable.  And I know what you mean about those motion lights, they just come on whenever the ship moves.  We have a cover that fits the Ruby’s light so, hopefully it will be the same for the Crown.  The Discovery either never had them or they’ve disabled the motion sensor.  You can still turn it on when you need it for the closet.  
We got the premier package on our next couple of sailings on the Crown.  I don’t really think it’s going to be worth it, though, without a much of a choice of casual dining venues.  
Thanks again!  

Glad to help some.

Happy that our Solar Eclipse cruise is on the Discovery and not one of these ships.  I agree that the Premier Package isn't really worth it on several of the Princess ships.  They just don't offer much and basically next to no casual dining venues like Gigi's, etc.  There is just nothing!!!  We missed the concierge lounge from the Discovery being in the full suite.  Honestly I said probably never again unless they do some upgrading to these other/older ships.  Never thought I'd feel this way.

Yes those crazy lights were also by the nightstands that would come on.  We had to put tape over those sensors also.  I get the thought process with these but what a pain.  I don't want to have to put a pillow over it and found the tape worked well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hulagirl said:

Glad to help some.

Happy that our Solar Eclipse cruise is on the Discovery and not one of these ships.  I agree that the Premier Package isn't really worth it on several of the Princess ships.  They just don't offer much and basically next to no casual dining venues like Gigi's, etc.  There is just nothing!!!  We missed the concierge lounge from the Discovery being in the full suite.  Honestly I said probably never again unless they do some upgrading to these other/older ships.  Never thought I'd feel this way.

Yes those crazy lights were also by the nightstands that would come on.  We had to put tape over those sensors also.  I get the thought process with these but what a pain.  I don't want to have to put a pillow over it and found the tape worked well. 

I couldn’t agree with you more.  When the Royal Princess was here in SF, I was so happy and booked several cruises on her at that time.  It comes down to either flying to our embarkation port on a nice ship or just crossing the Bay Bridge on an old ship.  We’ve were spoiled .. our 5 last sailings were on the Majestic and Discovery and Royal.  Being someone that just doesn’t care about the walk around promenade, is her we could get a nice ship back in SF again.  But, when we do go on the Crown, we are just going to be so grateful for no flight, I’m sure we will manage quite well.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TM said:

Don't forget about the motion sensor lights at the bottom of the nightstands next to the bed.  We just put one of the decorative bed pillows on the floor in front of them at night, so problem solved.

Those don’t even bother me so much but sometimes, my leg does flop out of bed in the middle of the night and yes, the pillow does the trick to keep that light from coming on.  

21 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I couldn’t agree with you more.  When the Royal Princess was here in SF, I was so happy and booked several cruises on her at that time.  It comes down to either flying to our embarkation port on a nice ship or just crossing the Bay Bridge on an old ship.  We’ve were spoiled .. our 5 last sailings were on the Majestic and Discovery and Royal.  Being someone that just doesn’t care about the walk around promenade, is her we could get a nice ship back in SF again.  But, when we do go on the Crown, we are just going to be so grateful for no flight, I’m sure we will manage quite well.  

I'm so with you.  We only sailed on the Crown this past fall because it was R/T Seattle to Hawaii and back.  The no flight thing was also why we chose that cruise.  Luckily this coming fall Princess if offering a different cruise on the Majestic, R/T California Coastal out of Seattle.  No flights again.  We feel spoiled also with the cruises on the Discovery.  Looking forward to the Majestic as we haven't sailed on that ship yet. 

I just don't want to pay the same price for a ship that just doesn't offer much compared to these others that offer so much more.  Hope that makes sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hulagirl said:

I'm so with you.  We only sailed on the Crown this past fall because it was R/T Seattle to Hawaii and back.  The no flight thing was also why we chose that cruise.  Luckily this coming fall Princess if offering a different cruise on the Majestic, R/T California Coastal out of Seattle.  No flights again.  We feel spoiled also with the cruises on the Discovery.  Looking forward to the Majestic as we haven't sailed on that ship yet. 

I just don't want to pay the same price for a ship that just doesn't offer much compared to these others that offer so much more.  Hope that makes sense. 

It makes total sense to me.  My DH and I were just discussing either taking a 7 night sailing on the Majestic in a balcony vs an 11 night one in an oceanview to Alaska in August of this year.  The price is nearly the same for both cruises.  The one on the Majestic includes first class airfare both ways.  That would be my choice but he loves no flight.  Once we determine if we even like the Crown in a few weeks, (we cruised on her when she was brand new and I wasn’t exactly impressed that time), we will make our final decision.  I have refundable deposits on both.  I also got my favorite cabins on both but won’t hold those cabins for very long.  
we cruised on the Majestic a few times and she is my absolute favorite ship ever!  I just know you are going to love her!  She sparkles in so many ways.  

30 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

It makes total sense to me.  My DH and I were just discussing either taking a 7 night sailing on the Majestic in a balcony vs an 11 night one in an oceanview to Alaska in August of this year.  The price is nearly the same for both cruises.  The one on the Majestic includes first class airfare both ways.  That would be my choice but he loves no flight.  Once we determine if we even like the Crown in a few weeks, (we cruised on her when she was brand new and I wasn’t exactly impressed that time), we will make our final decision.  I have refundable deposits on both.  I also got my favorite cabins on both but won’t hold those cabins for very long.  
we cruised on the Majestic a few times and she is my absolute favorite ship ever!  I just know you are going to love her!  She sparkles in so many ways.  

When we are on the Discovery for the Solar Eclipse cruise I would love to hear more about the Majestic.  BTW, did you sign up for the M&G on that cruise?  Just curious.  I did, but had to think twice about sending info for it. 

Understand about the no flights.  I was happy when we saw Princess has the CA Coastal cruise out of Seattle this fall.  Have been to all the stops but just a nice easy getaway for us too.

Have sailed on the Crown and the other ships several times, like you, but after being on the Discovery it truly paled in offerings to us.  So many things we missed and just don't think we want to do without anymore.  LOL, the atrium seems so small after the Discovery also.  You will have to let me know what you think of it also. 

6 hours ago, Hulagirl said:

When we are on the Discovery for the Solar Eclipse cruise I would love to hear more about the Majestic.  BTW, did you sign up for the M&G on that cruise?  Just curious.  I did, but had to think twice about sending info for it. 

Understand about the no flights.  I was happy when we saw Princess has the CA Coastal cruise out of Seattle this fall.  Have been to all the stops but just a nice easy getaway for us too.

Have sailed on the Crown and the other ships several times, like you, but after being on the Discovery it truly paled in offerings to us.  So many things we missed and just don't think we want to do without anymore.  LOL, the atrium seems so small after the Discovery also.  You will have to let me know what you think of it also. 

I plan on attending the meet and greet for the eclipse cruise but won’t be sending out my email to get an invite.  Tom has agreed to give us a flying onboard instead.  I’m not understanding the point of keeping it so secretive but hey, I’m not running it.  I’m also on the 3 night cruise right before the eclipse cruise.  Either way, we will plan on meeting up to talk about the Majestic, if for no other reason.  

I totally agree with you!  I waited a while to send anything.  Found it odd with all the info needed too.

We are also on the 3 day cruise.  Initially we weren't going to but last year in January the cabin we have was still available so decided to jump on it. 

Look forward to meeting and hearing about the Majestic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hulagirl said:

I totally agree with you!  I waited a while to send anything.  Found it odd with all the info needed too.

We are also on the 3 day cruise.  Initially we weren't going to but last year in January the cabin we have was still available so decided to jump on it. 

Look forward to meeting and hearing about the Majestic. 

We will definitely meet up with you at that M&G.  My dear friend, @HaveDogWillTravel, will be hosting that one.  I think she said there will be 18 people or so in attendance so far.  
That will be a great number of fellow passengers to get to know one another.  
I attended a large M&G back in 2017, by large I mean huge, and although we got to know a few other fellow passengers, it was just way to big to get to meet everyone.  It was good, though, as they made all the necessary announcements that were ‘oh so helpful’ to everyone.  So, I actually got a lot out of it.