What's the downside to Simply More?

sunsetme

It's no longer optional for bookings made after October of last year.  You either have Simply More with airfare or not with airfare included, but everyone booking after last October will be on the Simply More plan.  The new program includes beer, wine and champagne at mealtime and also provides a credit to be used towards excursions but not other onboard expenses.  With the implementation of this plan, prices went up across the board for the most part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sunsetme said:

first time considering sailing Marina in September, trying to figure out the simply more option, any advice?

Well…..if you drink beer, wine or champagne with your meals at lunch and/or dinner and you typically take a few ship excursions probably not much downside. If you do neither of these, then that is your potential downside. Just a clarification, it is not an option.  The only option is to purchase cruise with air or no air. 

• Like 1

And if your excursions get cancelled due to weather or other issues, there may not be the ability to rebook replacement excursions, so you lose the money that you paid through your fare for such excursions.  With O Life, you could you the money for gratuities or other things to purchase on the ship.

• Like 1

Simply More!!! is nothing more than a compulsory fee for mealtime wines and some excursions.  Oceania is making us pay for them, whether we want to or not.  I don’t consider if to be a “perk,” but a “feature.”  So, we are basically stopped trying to make sense out of it.

Edited by Psoque
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

The excursions have not caught up to demand. They fill up too fast so the credit is worthless. We booked 3 months out and nothing is available so it’s useless “credit.”  Wine is a plus but we will e definitely come out worse price wise. As stated on every thread discussing this it’s a price increase. 

• Like 7

Not only the introduction of Simply More!!! effectively resulted in a price hike, the structure of Simply More!!! allows for Oceania to increase the price to the customer/decrease the cost to Oceania without changing the advertised price by just decreasing the “excursion credit,” getting mealtim wines at a volume discount or stocking budged wines, limiting the actual number of excursion slots, or increasing the price of the excursions.

• Like 4

Can’t think of anything positive. Prices increase you can only spend the credits on excursions (we never use them), we aren’t big drinkers so it’s just a price increase. Pay Simply More 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sunsetme said:

trying to figure out the simply more option

As others have said, it isnt an "option", except for with or without air travel. In a relatively short space of time, I believe folk will stop making a comparison with the pre - SM deal. As with other cruise lines which include "stuff", it is a simple matter of "This is our offer for your cruise and this is our price".

FWIW, I like the arrangements for excursions, being able to spend the credit on whichever excursion I choose, rather than being tied to the very basic excursions of the previous arrangement. I'm also very supportive of O's further enhancement of SM for European customers in incorporating gratuities into the main cruise price, rather than having them added to a shipboard account. It doesnt effect the overall amount we'll pay but it better reflects the no/low tipping culture that most European countries have. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 8:35 PM, hamrag said:

The main downside to Simply More is there is no upside! 😉

On the contrary - we did the maths (with our TA's help) and initially came out about $66 better off with Simply More, mostly because of the drinks at meals and therefore reduced price of the full beverage package.  But then I read the "fine print" and saw that if we booked one more excursion we would get 25% off ALL the excursions.  And since there was one we wanted to take - we did that.  With the money we saved as a result we then booked yet another one - all at 75% of cost.   For us it makes sense.  I think if you don't drink alcohol or wine it probably doesn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

On the contrary - we did the maths (with our TA's help) and initially came out about $66 better off with Simply More, mostly because of the drinks at meals and therefore reduced price of the full beverage package.  But then I read the "fine print" and saw that if we booked one more excursion we would get 25% off ALL the excursions.  And since there was one we wanted to take - we did that.  With the money we saved as a result we then booked yet another one - all at 75% of cost.   For us it makes sense.  I think if you don't drink alcohol or wine it probably doesn't.

Your analysis is only valid if you believe that the "price" of the items included in Simply More!!! actually corresponds to the value of the items.  For example, if you believe the value of the beverage package before Simply More!!! was reasonable to begin with, it might lead you to the conclusion that the inclusion in Simply More!!! makes it an attractive offer.

However, as bundling continues with Oceania, their pricing will continue to be more opaque (that's the definition of opaque marketing...bundling to hide the itemized costs), and it would eventualy (if not already) become a challenge to make this kind of an assessment.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Your analysis is only valid if you believe that the "price" of the items included in Simply More!!! actually corresponds to the value of the items.  For example, if you believe the value of the beverage package before Simply More!!! was reasonable to begin with, it might lead you to the conclusion that the inclusion in Simply More!!! makes it an attractive offer.

However, as bundling continues with Oceania, their pricing will continue to be more opaque (that's the definition of opaque marketing...bundling to hide the itemized costs), and it would eventualy (if not already) become a challenge to make this kind of an assessment.

Before SimplyMore we had planned to take the full beverage package which would have cost us $69 per person per day - so $690 pp for the cruise.  Plus we were planning to take a few excursions.  With SimplyMore the upgrade is only $30 pp/day - so a total of $600 for the cruise AND all the excursions dropped by 25%.  Both my TA and I think in our case this is worthwhile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

With SimplyMore the upgrade is only $30 pp/day

We've been casually looking at a cruise for 2025 - unfortunately not yet in a position to commit to it. 

But I note that O is currently including free car parking at Southampton as an addition to Simply More. And the TA website we'd been looking at is including the beverage upgrade for free - not something that has much attraction, as I don't drink alcohol and my partner may only want a glass of wine at dinner. But it will appeal to many. 

SM and alcohol...

When you can bring your own beer, hard liquor and wine on board at embarkation and at ports, what is the value of SM?

On our recent 20-night B2B on Riviera (10-11/2023), which we booked CRUISE ONLY, I initially stocked up on beer, hard liquor and wine from a local grocery store in Trieste. Then bought more in Kotor, Heraklion, Istanbul, Messina, Naples, etc. After developing a taste for Montenegrin beer, European brandy from Greece, Serbia & Spain, and lots of Italian wines, and including the 3 bottles of varying sizes of hard liquor that I brought HOME with me (e.g., 700 ML bottle of Turkish Yeni Raki), I spent a bit over E100 total. Enjoying beer, hard liquor and wine each night on our veranda. That cost was a bit over that for a mere 3 days of O's Premium Package.

I had a blast shopping for inexpensive decent alcohol in the local stores. That Montenegrin beer in Kotor was on sale 33% off, so those six (6) 500 ML cans cost just E.69 per can. A decent bottle of Italian wine I found on the bottom shelf of a grocery store in Naples was E1.49. But I also bought 3 for E5.00 at a different small store, too. I loved the Serbian brandy I bought in Kotor at E10.49. That Turkish Raki was the most expensive at TL550 (or about $19.50).

AND we had 4 nights of FREE alcohol at the 2 Captain's Parties and 2 Repeaters' Parties.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why people keep comparing SM to OL. OL is history now. The only comparison should be to other cruise lines.

If you think O increased prices look at Crystal or SS - their 2025 prices are 15-20% higher compared to 2024. Even Windstar in some cases is more expensive than O, and they don't include drinks and internet.

Yesterday I priced a 10 night European cruise on one of Celebrity newer ships. The basic price still seems almost reasonable, but when you add port fees and extra for refundable deposit, the price was slightly more per night than what we paid for 2 cruises on Vista for 2025. And Celebrity price doesn't include drinks (even not soda, specialty coffee or tea), internet, specialty restaurants and excursions credits. 

Lets get real. Everyone is increasing prices. It's called inflation. 

The amount of negativity and constant whining of some people just amazes me.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I'm not sure why people keep comparing SM to OL. OL is history now. The only comparison should be to other cruise lines.

If you think O increased prices look at Crystal or SS - their 2025 prices are 15-20% higher compared to 2024. Even Windstar in some cases is more expensive than O, and they don't include drinks and internet.

Yesterday I priced a 10 night European cruise on one of Celebrity newer ships. The basic price still seems almost reasonable, but when you add port fees and extra for refundable deposit, the price was slightly more per night than what we paid for 2 cruises on Vista for 2025. And Celebrity price doesn't include drinks (even not soda, specialty coffee or tea), internet, specialty restaurants and excursions credits. 

Lets get real. Everyone is increasing prices. It's called inflation. 

The amount of negativity and constant whining of some people just amazes me.

I agree with you wholeheartedly!

SimplyMore is a fact of life. It is what it is and the only real comparison is the ‘bottom line’. There are a myriad of cruise lines to choose from so if SimplyMore is that offensive find a line that suits better.

• Like 3

I was on Vista last week. It was booked in 2022, cruise only.  It was before Simply More was announced. We had a great time. We often sail on Oceania and do a winter Caribbean cruise. We had been to all of the ports on previous trips. We weren’t interested in excursions. The attraction was warmth, good food, and excellent service. We had a great time. Would love to do it again. However, unlike previous winter cruises, we didn’t rebook.  Visited future cruise lady asking if we could book cruise only. She adamantly said no.  If you book any Oceania cruise, you get Simply More.  Her rationale was people pay for a cruise and don’t use all the features of the ship.  They consider excursions the same as using the spa. Some people will use it. Some won’t. Everyone pays for it. Not exactly.  We were rather annoyed at the attitude.  For us Simply More May work on some itineraries, not the Caribbean. We are booked on a Med cruise with Simply More. The excursions work on that trip.  When we compared price winter 2024 and same cruise for winter 2025, we decided to move on.  While we like Oceania, we are looking at other cruise lines for winter 2025.  We will only consider booking Oceania on cruises that have excursions that interest us.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hamrag said:

But....the TA obviously wants to sell the cruise....! 😉

Not really.  The cruise had been booked, deposit paid, last May.  I was getting ready to make the final payment (which I have done).  My TA is someone I have dealt with for cruises for well over 10 yaers now.  And she is great!  She and the company she works for are among the biggest "clients" of both Oceania and Regent.  (Almost all their staff were invited to the christening of the Vista last May and in December to the christening of the Grandeur).  It was I who wanted to add the SM because I (and my husband) hate being "nickled and dimed" if you know what that means?  We have a Vista suite.  We have 6 bottles of complimentary wine/spirits of our choice in that suite but we don't like thinking, when we are in a bar "well this drink will cost another $35 or so...)   I am not fussed about the amount I spend per day because we don't go on cruises often and this may be our last anyway.  So I am a happy camper with the SM package.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

... Yesterday I priced a 10 night European cruise on one of Celebrity newer ships. ... Lets get real. Everyone is increasing prices. It's called inflation....

Who cares about list or book prices? I pay close attention to every O sale and book during sales. So I may book a cruise itinerary I want as a G or F to start, I'll use a sale to go to a C. Or another sale to go from the C to a B or A.

I paid about the same or less for my 20 night B2B on Riviera (10-11/2023) in a combined A3/B3 booking than I did for the original F and C I booked. Using the Extraordinary Savings Sale, one of about 6-8 major sales O had in 2023(!).

Original F at $1614 PP became final A3 PP at $1899. A bit more.

Original C at $1994 PP became a B4 at $2249 PP became final B3 at $1749 PP. A bit less.

The net difference: I paid just $40 more! I pay no real attention to the list or book price. I'm not planning on paying that! O has sale after sale after sale.

7 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I was on Vista last week. It was booked in 2022, cruise only.  It was before Simply More was announced. We had a great time. We often sail on Oceania and do a winter Caribbean cruise. We had been to all of the ports on previous trips. We weren’t interested in excursions. The attraction was warmth, good food, and excellent service. We had a great time. Would love to do it again. However, unlike previous winter cruises, we didn’t rebook.  Visited future cruise lady asking if we could book cruise only. She adamantly said no.  If you book any Oceania cruise, you get Simply More.  Her rationale was people pay for a cruise and don’t use all the features of the ship.  They consider excursions the same as using the spa. Some people will use it. Some won’t. Everyone pays for it. Not exactly.  We were rather annoyed at the attitude.  For us Simply More May work on some itineraries, not the Caribbean. We are booked on a Med cruise with Simply More. The excursions work on that trip.  When we compared price winter 2024 and same cruise for winter 2025, we decided to move on.  While we like Oceania, we are looking at other cruise lines for winter 2025.  We will only consider booking Oceania on cruises that have excursions that interest us.  

I agree with you about the Caribbean. But for European cruises SM might be useful. We usually book private tours, but there are some ports where it's not possible, or we just don't fell comfortable.