Pics posted on FB of High in Food in Icon WJ for VIP pre maiden cruise sailing...

I'm seeing pics on FB of food in the WJ for these VIP sailings of the Icon.  Lots of lobster, shrimp, steak, etc and people are posting about how good it looks and how they need to book a cruise!  Aren't they in for a surprise when normal sailings start and its just the regular WJ food laid out for them!  No lobster for you!  Just normal WJ gruel!  I know, there are good things in the WJ, but it will not be what is being served to these VIPS.

Edited by Tenderpaw
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hard to believe that anyone that has cruised before doesn't realize the pre/press invitation previews are just for show and the normal offerings for paying passenger sailings will be nothing like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

W

27 minutes ago, zebra36 said:

Hard to believe that anyone that has cruised before doesn't realize the pre/press invitation previews are just for show and the normal offerings for paying passenger sailings will be nothing like that.

Well, we don't know that they have cruised before.  And, people may think because the ship is new and the fares are SO HIGH that Icon will have a higher quality buffet.  Who knows what they are thinking.

We did a cruise once that had a special VIP event on board the day we sailed.  The next day, the buffet had some much better choices.  I guess they overbought food and it wasn't all needed.  That quickly was quickly consumed, never to be seen again.

• Like 1

Sadly that was pretty close to how it was when I first started cruising in the 80’s. Not complaining, though. I never go hungry on a cruise and don’t have to prepare or clean up 🙂

• Like 1

Some years ago, can't remember if it was on Quantum or Anthem, on lobster night, pre-pandemic, we went to the WJ curious to see what they were offering and they did have a station with lobster tails in a large bowl and also grilled steaks, plus shrimps and an ice cream station. 

2 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Sadly that was pretty close to how it was when I first started cruising in the 80’s. Not complaining, though. I never go hungry on a cruise and don’t have to prepare or clean up 🙂

Yep, even well into the 2000s you could find a good selection of higher end food on the buffet.  It's quite sad how the food has devolved on cruises compared to what it once was. 

But the cruise line executives are happy that people won't complain!  Bigger bonuses for them!  Bring on the mashed potatoes, rice, cheap cuts of meat, and currie sauce!

• Like 1